John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

For to build a symmetrical feeding (+ and -Vcc), I wonder if it is preferable to use 2 positive regulators as LM317 or one LM317 for the positive rail and its negative equivalent as LM337 for the negative rail. Benchmarkses of these 2 regulatiors being slightly different.

Does someone have you it makes comparisons to monitoring?

Darry

John,

first I want to thank you for your input regarding relays and the contact pressure thing etc., it's obvious it's really up to the finest details in your design!

As Terry I wondered myself a bit regarding the output resistance, my Q's is why did you guys chose 1000 Ohm?
My guess is that you have a quite low output impedance on the (current/voltage?)amplifying OP stage with a fixed 1000 Ohm resistor which is much more independent by frequency etc..

Cheers Michael

The CTC preamp is a transconductance amp that is current output. 1K ohm was the lowest value that we could use and still get reasonable distortion at a few volts out. There are no followers in this preamp. This was also true in the Levinson JC-2, JC-80, and some other line preamps that I have designed. I do use complementary fet followers in the Parasound JC-2.

john curl said:
The CTC preamp is a transconductance amp that is current output. 1K ohm was the lowest value that we could use and still get reasonable distortion at a few volts out. There are no followers in this preamp. This was also true in the Levinson JC-2, JC-80, and some other line preamps that I have designed. I do use complementary fet followers in the Parasound JC-2.

Oh I see, that was unexpected, but the 1 kOhm fixed resistor was there anyhow.

What is the advantage to use a transconductance stage instead of the common voltage amplifier as a preamp?

Cheers Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.