John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the best open loop DC stability is the best way to design preamp stages. My design will work without any servos, but it would have some output offset due to the input matching, which is seldom perfect in fets.
As far as exactly how I make my particular design, I would rather not publish it here, or anywhere else, for that matter.

john curl said:
Grey, (and others),
I have 2 separate servos in each line amp, because it has differential outputs. One servo tries to keep the average of the two outputs near ground, and the other compares each output and adjusts them to be close to each other. The servos must be very low in frequency cut-off in order not to effect any asymmetrical low frequency transient that might occur on program material...

:bulb: OF COURSE !!! The two differentials outputs cancelled in AC.!!! Thus the audio signal at the input of the DC-Servo compound is already very small!!!

Hi Jacco Vermeulen
--Have you tried anything in line with the ideas of Gerard Perrot ?--

I would say I am working in a direction inspired by Perrot, but slightly different, as I came to different conclusions : I am looking for an inherently DC stable input stage. I admit this may appear somewhat pretentious.

~~~~ Forr

§§§

I always find it amusing when people try to push batteries as though they're some new technology that John, Nelson Pass, Charles Hansen, et. al. are somehow ignorant of.
Perhaps I'm a little off the beaten path, but I don't find 36V rails all that remarkable. I've got a line stage here at my elbow that uses +32 and -10V rails. Come to think of it, the unregulated rails start at roughly 40V. If I had used a complementary differential--as I assume John has in the Blowtorch--then the rails would have been symmetrical at 32V each. It wouldn't be all that difficult for me to justify increasing the rails a couple of volts. I would be reluctant to decrease them, though. Particularly, if it was just to shoehorn the design into an arbitrary voltage that happened to be available from batteries. Surely there are better ways to arrive at a target rail voltage.

Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.