John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
john curl said:
Mike, I don't disagree, but all else being equal, should not the best DA be better? We often don't have complete control of our parts placement.

Hi John,

I'm agree that lower DA is better but I'm making the point that with careful attention to detail excellent results can be had with readily availible, reasonably priced board materials.

Parts placement is always a challenge but I'm always amazed at what can be done if I spend the time pushing and shoving parts around until it all fits like a glove. With a PC-based layout program it's more like a game of chess; although I also know a good layout doesn't necessarily translate to ease of manufacturing. When that is the goal the higher price materials could be a good insurance policy.

It's an interesting trade off though, higher price board material to save money on assembly :xeye: (and I know that's an over-simplified view).

KSTR said:
Why not use teflon stand-offs and point-to-point wiring only for the critical (high-Z) nets? - Klaus

To me this would be a nightmare to construct with any circuit of even minimum complexity. Probably fun for the first stage or two but after a few parts swaps would turn into a mess.:)

Regards, Mike.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Quirck,
It' s becoming total nonsense here; an audio circuit is not an electrometer circuit working from Mega-Ohm source impedances.
No it isn't. However, at high impedances, any nonlinearity of a component will have a large effect. DA would have the effect of reducing the detail in an audio waveform. So you can see that these issues are not silly at all. They are very much a part of audio design.

Also, any active device in a chain has the ability to distort the audio information. Right now, in my system, looking for a good preamp is a problem. The defects are clearly audible. If your amplifier isn't up to snuff, you may not be able to hear the differences between these things.

So the preamp is at least as important as the amplifier. Looking at things from a phono cartridge level, the preamp has a more difficult job to do than the amplifier in my opinion. Then there is noise and crosstalk issues related to a number of possibly active inputs.

-Chris

KSTR said:
I've been using strips similar to these (6EUR/1pc) in an AD549-based electrometer circuit.

- Klaus

The front-end of an electrometer is a bit simpler than a dual differential front end... Somehow I expect the 1 cm pitch to be a bit wide for the pitch of a 2SK389! ;)

I am curious as to who makes them (for work related projects).

Regards, Mike.

QSerraTico_Tico said:
Do not agree!

Any damage done at the preamp level can't be undone by the amp. It really doesn't take much to obliterate some of the fine detail, inject a bit of noise (masking/texture) or add a bit of un-correlated correction to the signal. It all depends on your sensitivity to, or your systems resolution of, such minor modifications.

Regards, Mike.

I have been making quality preamps for 34 years for high end home use. Every preamp has its own 'personality' and sound. Of course, in 1974, I originally thought that my Levinson JC-2 was PERFECT! I learned about its subtle problems over several years, even decades. Still, the original JC-2 preamp now sitting around would technically do everything that I need today. It just doesn't perform well enough, just like a 1974 Porsche 911 might not seem adequate today to a car buff with a much newer model, or even something more exotic..

Might be of interest?

US patent 4500850 1985-02-19 GRODINSKY ROBERT

The previously unknown cause of significant non-linear distortion by non-linear discrete and stray capacitances located in portions of an amplifier circuit where Miller effect enhancement of such capacitance occurs is minimized by one or more means, such as utilizing unique discrete capacitor arrangements and positioning of transistor terminal leads, and unique printed circuit board constructions and selectively applied solder mask coatings which minimize or eliminate non-linear stray capacitance effects which were not heretofore considered to be a problem in audio amplifier circuits.

Non-linearities in capacitance-voltage characteristics are reduced by the reduction in voltage gradients achieved by connecting two or more capacitors in series to produce the overall desired capacitor value heretofore supplied by only a single capacitor.

Distortion producing Miller effect enhanced stray capacity effects between control and load terminals of amplifying transistors or across the discrete capacitors in the multistage negative feeding circuits of audio amplifiers are reduced by modifying the dielectric properties constant of the printed circuit board as by placing apertures therein between the conductive strips to which such transistor terminals and capacitors are connected, or by increasing the distance between points of connections of these terminals to the printed circuit board, generally requiring the extension of one or more of the leads involved parallel to the circuit board.

Regards
James

Attachments

• clipboard01.gif
    clipboard01.gif
    49.8 KB · Views: 842
anatech said:

No it isn't. However, at high impedances, any nonlinearity of a component will have a large effect. DA would have the effect of reducing the detail in an audio waveform. So you can see that these issues are not silly at all. They are very much a part of audio design.

And now on a practical mood, if someone cares to comment. No fear…

Much has been said but it would be nice to hear some tips on how a good layout should be done to avoid certain pitfalls. For example, how to lay a hi impedance node to avoid interaction? Under a ground plane? Surrounded by power supply rails?

How to avoid DA on the layout besides board material or solder mask?

Spacing of tracks for signal?

With all the experience around this thread we might get some good praxis. :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.