John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Often sales of these products are low or zero, but they are a statement product positioned to increase sales of lower priced products inheriting the reputation and wow-factor. As a customer you can brag that you have 90% of the technology and performance of the top model at an affordable price point.
It is a well-known marketing ploy.

Jan

If Fremer likes it,

Yes, he often likes very extraordinary things.

He also prepared A/D digitized "hirez" files recorded from LP's to demonstrate different "sound quality" of various phone cartridges/turntables. Technical quality of these recordings was so poor that I can hardly understand how he could publish such thing. Or maybe I understand quite well. Based on what he likes, I would probably avoid it first.

Technics SL-1200G Versus Continuum Caliburn And SAT Arm | Analog Planet

Last edited:
This is what Fremer is giving to audiophiles. Cartridge resonance + tons of groove noise. And no real highs, they end at 13kHz. Aif files in the previous link. Good sound?

Attachments

• Fremer_S&MTech.PNG
    Fremer_S&MTech.PNG
    84.3 KB · Views: 271
  • Fremer_spectrogram.jpg
    Fremer_spectrogram.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
PMA, you do yourself no favor attacking Fremer if you want to be in the hi end audio community. Technical complaints aside, it is like you being a wine maker and attacking a prominent wine taster. It just does not help your cause.
For the record, I hate comparisons like what he put up between the turntables, but then I hate digital as a rule as well. I have heard the Continuum several times on different quality systems, and I liked it.
I have not heard the latest Technics turntables, but I am usually disappointed in their sound, and I gave away one to one of my technicians without even listening to it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
I have not heard the latest Technics turntables, but I am usually disappointed in their sound, and I gave away one to one of my technicians without even listening to it.
That would be a certainty if you are expecting a really nice turntable. I doubt the arm does it any favors either. It just isn't designed to be a high end product.

-Chris

Often sales of these products are low or zero, but they are a statement product positioned to increase sales of lower priced products inheriting the reputation and wow-factor. As a customer you can brag that you have 90% of the technology and performance of the top model at an affordable price point.
It is a well-known marketing ploy.

Jan

Ya... I dont know about that. I seem to see a fair bit of ownership. It is probably more true in other fields.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Chris: easy enough to change the arm on the older SL-1200 at which point it becomes most definately high end in all but looks. I'd still rather hold until until one day an affordable SP-10 MK2 comes my way, but that might be a very long time.

Can't find the review online anymore, but the Dave Cawley modified SL-1200 with SMEV arm was the cleanest measuring TT they had seen. How much that matters in the hamstrung technology that is rock dragging through plastic is up to the consumer to decide :).

Aside: Best set of Rotational measurements I have seen are off JP's Nak TX1000, with his SP10 a close second and the SL1200 a still close third.

I think I know the preamp;-)
So, we have a preamp witch works in two configurations, *with the same components*.
If I remember well, the distortions were low enough in both modes to can exclude any difference to come from there. Despite this, a lot of people tend to make the difference and have a preference. And I tend to believe there is really a difference in the presentation..
Now the question is; why ?
The only answer I can imagine is : Dynamic behavior.

Exactly, the same circuit/components, with the gain difference of both modes is 0.13 dB. The mode set by change just one jumper(J1 or J2), schematic attached.
I am inclined on the NFB side, but here I could not decide.
Damir

Attachments

• GainWire mk2 gain 11_8dB.jpg
    GainWire mk2 gain 11_8dB.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 230
Status
Not open for further replies.