John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm glad you guys see that. I saw it as Vin to ground...and ground feeding the + side of the op amp.

We have Vout at the output terminal. Why is Vin next to the ground terminal farther away but not next to the series resistance terminal?

In any textbook I've never seen this nor in any National Semi or Analog Devices ANs, Data Sheets, etc. Anything I've ever seen has Vin next to the input terminal.

Last edited:
I looked at that Ray, thanks. It didn't help me understand it. I have no idea how to come up with k. In the problem, I calculated Beta given the information and formulae I had at the time. Thanks for your effort. I'm missing some big picture item.

It is what it is. I get burned from sloppy writing and graphics, diagrams etc. #8 should be thrown out then based on the proper answer not shown.

Last edited:
Sync, don't think so much and try to answer the questions as they were meant. This is 'almost obviously' an inverting circuit and Vin is in the right place, BUT the subscript confused you to think it was driving the ground, a simple mistake, because you are a student and haven't seen thousands of circuits typed, printed or even scribbled in every which way. It is best to try to answer the questions in the way that the test was really meant to ask you, and not fight with the instructor.

Also, "negative gain" is a misnomer, gain is only a quantitavie number telling what the gain is, irrespective of the phase.

Hmm, I don't know if I would call it a misnomer, voltage gain is Vout/Vin. Almost every op-amp datasheet also will describe it with a negative number when the circuit described is inverting.

Your point is understood though.

Well I'm glad you guys see that. I saw it as Vin to ground...and ground feeding the + side of the op amp.

We have Vout at the output terminal. Why is Vin next to the ground terminal farther away but not next to the series resistance terminal?

In any textbook I've never seen this nor in any National Semi or Analog Devices ANs, Data Sheets, etc. Anything I've ever seen has Vin next to the input terminal.
The other major clue is that the resistor in position Ri is labeled as Ri (Rin). Most non-inverting circuits in textbooks label them R1 and R2 that I have seen.

I built a preamp (GainWire mk2) where is possible very simply to switch between non GNFB and quite high CFA (abouth 40dB). It has quite low distortion in non GNFB mode, and very low in CFA mode. I've sell some PCBs and some of the builders preferred non GNFB mode and some CFA mode.
I think I know the preamp;-)
So, we have a preamp witch works in two configurations, *with the same components*.
If I remember well, the distortions were low enough in both modes to can exclude any difference to come from there. Despite this, a lot of people tend to make the difference and have a preference. And I tend to believe there is really a difference in the presentation..
Now the question is; why ?
The only answer I can imagine is : Dynamic behavior.

I did look around the net and it seems there are two interpretations of "negative gain", one group thinks it is an attenuation, the other not but still maintain the "negative gain" notion.

The confusing part is the added - sign to the gain figure, if I type in 20log(-50) on my pocket calculator that would render an error, G=50 on the other hand compiles into around 34dB, but we can't just add a - sign to this figure afterwards either, otherwise it would mean something different, ie. attenuation.

Trivial stuff that makes one confused. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.