John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I know I am teasing, but I have no other choice, but as Pavel's measurements (and mine) proves that the current reflects the harmonic distortion of the speaker and distorts the current of the amplifier. Please, just give it some thought, drivers are current devices and Pavel has shown (and have I) that the current of the amplifier can be distorted because a voltage source can only control the voltage and must relinguish control over the current

I am only intervening because you involve Pavel in this and try to show that Pavel agrees with you on this.
Pavel was addressing you when he showed those measurements and he insisted to make clear that his opinion on those measurements is:
Any nonlinearity signs in the current waveform is due to the nonlinearity of the load and it has nothing to do with the amplifier, voltage or current source.

It is a slippery road …

George

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
... Yet both systems can be EQ'd to the same target and will show the same system response which dominantly "defines how it sounds". ...

But will it expose the same impulse response? And I don't mean a calculated response from a steady state FR measurement but observing the actual envelope for a couple of ms?

PMA, care to make some measurement?

//

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Mark, I very well remember Centauri. My favorite rocket of theirs back then (the 70's) was named the 'SST', which was an Concord looking booster that carried a small piggybacked glider plane. At apogee, the glider would release and fly down, while the booster came down via parachute. Back in middle school, before we all discovered girls, my friends and I used to carry both Centauri and Estes catalogs around in our book bags. Much wasteful classroom day dreaming took place.

Balsa wood, sanding sealer, Testors paint, parachute wadding, rocket motors, launch control electrical - a nerd's paradise. And when those old style igniters failed to fire the motor, which they frequently seemed to, the suspense filled slow sneaking up on the unlaunched rocket like it was an live grenade. The blissful innocence of that time. :)

Ahh. I can tell you a story about this. Back in '70 or '71 I was also a 'rocket nerd' and a bit of a classroom joke to be honest as a 13 or 14 year old.

I took naphthalene (mothballs) and melted it in a tin jar (on an open flame mind you) into which I added crushed permanganate of potash (the oxegenator) and mixed it together (4 parts permanganate to 1 part naphthalene if you must know). This concoction was then rammed into an aluminium tube to make a solid fuel rocket. They never flew too well because I never figured out a way to line the tube but have the fuel hollow in the centre to increase the surface area.

Anyway, it all came a sticky end when during one session the naphthalene caught fire up in my bedroom and filled the room with fumes and small black 'twirlies' that stuck to the ceiling. My parents were less than impressed . . . grounded for weeks as I recall and banned from going anywhere near matches, flames, mothballs or permanganate. After that I started to get interested in electronics but still did some really stupid things.

Last edited:
Model rockets for me. Estes and Centauri (anyone remember Centauri? They got acquired eventually). Why do you need these extra special "Photoflash" D-cell batteries to fire the igniters? They cost so much more! What does G. Harry Stine's book mean when it recommends you build your own ignition system using a "relay", what is THAT? Why do Nichrome igniters stay cool when the continuity bulb is in series, but glow hot and fire the motors when I mash the launch button which shorts the bulb? What is this trigonometry stuff that lets you figure out the rocket's peak altitude? Why does the radio transponder payload module have so many transistors and what are they doing?

I learned that:
1. Make sure that the nose cone of your 3 foot tall Saturn 5 (Estes) model is sufficiently loose that when the ejection charge initiates, the nose cone actually comes off. Accordians cannot be launched a second time..

2. When assembling your Zenith 2 Payloader (centauri IIRC), FOLLOW the instructions to tape the second stage motor to the first. That way, it hangs around long enough to be ignited. Oddly enough, the rocket is still stable with the second motor unlit. The first stage C lofted it sufficiently high that when it nose dived into a muddy patch, the tail fins were below ground level.

3. Elmers glue may look to have held a broken fin sufficiently 30 minutes before launch, but alas, not quite. Amazing how fast a D engine with a nose cone and 66% of it's fins attached can spin, gyrate, and do an incredibly fast 3-d drunkards walk 100 feet above a large crowd of spectators. Luckily, nobody was hurt.

4. When using a car battery as the launch power source, do NOT wire the battery to a 1/4 inch PLUG. As in, when you try to plug it in, sigh....I love the smell of burning pvc in the morning..:eek:

John

But will it expose the same impulse response? And I don't mean a calculated response from a steady state FR measurement but observing the actual envelope for a couple of ms?
Yes, it *is* exactly the same signal output whatever stimulus you choose and how you look at. This possible because we are dealing with so-called weakly non-linear systems. When you have the same complex-valued transfer function you have the same output, in all regards.

That means, once you have the IR obtained from a reasonable measurement, neither plagued with noise nor significant (>1%) distortion from overdriving the speaker, you can use an arbitrary stimulus, including real music signal and compare the real time-domain response seen at the mic with that calculated by convolution of the test signal with the IR. If you subtract them you should get a good null signal, you get the error, the noise and distortion alone, isolated. This includes a linear term from the IR when it was taken at an operation point far off of that used for the real signal (too loud, notably).
This subtraction is actually a sanity check system designers should do from time to time to check the validity of the IR, especially when working with CAE tools where that IR is used as the raw response worked on to make an xover, for example.

What is different though, and I try to emphasize on that, is the reaction to externally-induced cone motion. If you tap the cone there will the difference according to the electrical damping applied (and this is true regardless of any EQ). The current-driven cone will ring quite a while, with its mechanical Q factor dominating. The shorted driver (shorted by the amp output impedance) will react with much better damping. Seen from that point, we should look for aperiodic damping here if it does not violate other constraints. Then, finally EQ the reponse to target and you have speaker with the desired response, and a quick and clean recovery from any error signal, be it external or internal. Might not be the best operating point for distortion at the same time, though, it's all a compromise.

Joe, they are not going to be professional with you, just critical.

John, that has been the least professional thing written so far in this whole back and forth. Well, notwithstanding Joe using your silver wire/directionality silliness to make the claim, "I may be batty, but at least I don't propose something that ridiculous".

So I find it quite hilarious that you're defending Joe.

Anyways, there was a Nova episode about all the recent advances in rocketry last night. I lapped it up enthusiastically. And the SLS is still a giant boondoggle.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Okey - thanks! "One" wold have thought that in current drive, the cone was sort of set off forward with no control and you would see an overshot... but alas not...

So if current and voltage drive results in the same "steering" of the cone, one would tend to lean towards current drive given the reduced distorsion?

//

Yes, it *is* exactly the same signal output whatever stimulus you choose and how you look at. This possible because we are dealing with so-called weakly non-linear systems. When you have the same complex-valued transfer function you have the same output, in all regards.

That means, once you have the IR obtained from a reasonable measurement, neither plagued with noise nor significant (>1%) distortion from overdriving the speaker, you can use an arbitrary stimulus, including real music signal and compare the real time-domain response seen at the mic with that calculated by convolution of the test signal with the IR. If you subtract them you should get a good null signal, you get the error, the noise and distortion alone, isolated. This includes a linear term from the IR when it was taken at an operation point far off of that used for the real signal (too loud, notably).
This subtraction is actually a sanity check system designers should do from time to tome to check the validity of the IR, especially when working with CAE tools where that IR is used as the raw response worked on to make an xover, for example.

What is different though, and I try to emphasize on that, is the reaction to externally-induced cone motion. If you tap the cone there will the difference according to the electrical damping applied (and this is true regardless of any EQ). The current-driven cone will ring quite a while, with its mechanical Q factor dominating. The shorted driver (shorted by the amp output impedance) will react with much better damping. Seen from that point, we should look for aperiodic damping here if it does not violate other constraints. Then, finally EQ the reponse to target and you have speaker with the desired response, and a quick and clean recovery from any error signal, be it external or internal. Might not be the best operating point for distortion at the same time, though, it's all a compromise.

I learned that:
1. Make sure that the nose cone of your 3 foot tall Saturn 5 (Estes) model is sufficiently loose that when the ejection charge initiates, the nose cone actually comes off...John

As long as we are talking rockets...a friend and I though the Estes Saturn V was too expensive and wimpy, so we built our own with a 5-D engine 1st stage, 3-D engine second and 1-D engine 3rd. Understand we were 12 year olds and not engineers so power to weight may have been off a bit. Upon completion it looked really great, but apparently we had not solved the synchronization of engine ignition because...a few of the 1st stage engines lit with insufficient thrust to lift it off the launch rod, but when the others came alive it slowly lifted, cleared the rod...then began to fall over, all the while accelerating. Everyone yelled "Hit the deck" and fell to the ground as this monstrosity roared over us, whizzed across the street and ended up in the Country Club pool 1/4 mile away. We never got it back.

Great fun!
Howie

At the risk of introducing a new concept into the tired circular arguments thought this might be of interest.

Ideal bridge rectifier GB

This has a possibility to be a better bridge. At least within limitations. Real measurable improvement with no woo and foo.

(aside any bets on when copies will appear on ebay?)

I'm sure others have thought of it before, but it took someone to actually make it and provide the "duh, so obvious, now..." moment for everyone else.

And that's how innovation can sometimes become the norm, almost overnight. the rest of the monkey clan needs time to get it.

Sometimes they need centuries of time.

Fluid intelligence, speed of cognition, IQ bell curves, and all that.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Howie: I believe Mr Marsh was Mr Monster so should have the info.

I did wonder how long someone would take to point out that this is linear catching up with SMPS :). Nevertheless better late than never.

Speaking of catching up I hope in the next 24 hours to finally move my phono stage onto a silent switcher and start my plan to battery power everything low level. Lets see how many more years it takes.

@Daniel: The planned test being a week ago I can only hope the shutdown delayed it and nothing bad has happened.

We've been using synchronous rectification in SMPS for quite a while, it is good to see it appear as a separate component for general purpose use!

Howie

One of those moments, when it 'breaks' to the general public of concern:

30aa84719b31b60e7f7da3132b703761.jpg

Sounds a bit pompous, wouldn't you say? Hope you have a sense of humour? But good to see you get that of your chest and... ?

Quoting text books is fine by me. To go any further and extend our understanding, that somehow becomes a 'claim' and here we go again. It is a verboten, even when I don't make any claim, often it magically becomes one?

But may I say something that might add to all that: Look closely at what the current does to the amplifier and something the amplifier cannot prevent when it is a voltage source. I know I am teasing, but I have no other choice, but as Pavel's measurements (and mine) proves that the current reflects the harmonic distortion of the speaker and distorts the current of the amplifier. Please, just give it some thought, drivers are current devices and Pavel has shown (and have I) that the current of the amplifier can be distorted because a voltage source can only control the voltage and must relinguish control over the current. Does this make any sense to you? If the answer is 'yes' to that, then you must make that compatible with other sound established matter. Alas, DF is not one of them. OK?

But thanks for the lesson, but do you think I really needed it? Maybe you felt a need to give it, then good for you!

I enjoyed KTSR's post and don't see why you're going on about other than to be a little obtuse, with a small spatter of technical stuff.

I too dreamed of model rockets when I was a youth as well, but alas it was not to be.

I lived less than 1 mile from the end of the main runway for McClellan AFB, at the time home of AWACs and the supply and repair depot for the Pacific Theater.

Any (and all) vertical activity was rapidly and swiftly pursued. Even balloons and paper bags with tin foil candle holders for thermal lift.

Cheers
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.