John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about line noise on the line to the amp -> output -> 10:1 step up (assuming 12.6V filament transformer)?

I don't know if they discuss that. But problems can come from turntable electronics. My stereo sounds much better with the TT plugged into a higher filtered outlet on power conditioner. I haven't tracked down if it is from the TT or through it. I will probably upgrade TT's before I get that far.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Pfft. A REAL nightclub DJ would hold the disk at the cue point, tun the gain up to 11, and spot the disk from zero to full speed timed correctly, in beat.

OK, I missed the word 'Radio' out when I said DJ :p. I believe for them, finding the cue spot then winding the record back to line up with the white dot, so they could then flick a switch and off it went.

I lack all the skills required to do what club DJs manage.

OK, I missed the word 'Radio' out when I said DJ :p. I believe for them, finding the cue spot then winding the record back to line up with the white dot, so they could then flick a switch and off it went.

I lack all the skills required to do what club DJs manage.
Spinning in a hot nightclub back in the 78-80 timeframe had it's "fun" aspects.

Nuff said.

Jn

Ps. And by "nuff said", I am trying to imply by silence, that I had my way with the women...pfft

But I did have fun..

Need any turntables? Got five collecting dust..

No, there is no circle.
You stated that gaps were the dominant based on a high school summer job rewinding 45 year old generators, I pointed out your errors. Very simple.

The rest, floobydust, bearing runout indeed. Just drop ABEC 9's in..

Jn
Ed.. When you discuss things you are an expert in, I listen...

You would be well served to also adopt that stance..
That explains why as we fly around the equator
I.E........International Date Line
At high enough speeds
We can transverse TIME !

At least some broadcast mixing consoles included a switch on the phono channels faders or an extra contact on the phono channels mute switches which was effectively wired through to the the 1200's start/stop switch.
Denon Pro CD players also have a remote start/stop switch input and controlled in the same manner.

Dan.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I guess what I'm really saying is..great, you have data..where is it?

Jn

What data specifically are you interested in?

Better hurry though...… Monday I leave for Asia to help process my lady out of that S**t hole country of perpetual poverty. See her in Kathmandu and hug her and take her to a nice restraunt, buy her cloths and talk. Then bring her to Bangkok. Fix her computer and just hang out with her.

-RM

Last edited:
What data specifically are you interested in?

Better hurry though...… Monday I leave for Asia to help process my lady out of that S**t hole country. See her in Kathmandu and hug her and take her to a nice restraunt, buy her cloths and talk. Then bring her to Bangkok. Fix her computer and just hang out with her.

-RM
Data? What data?
You clearly have your eyes on what matters. And it ain't "data".:D
Good luck in your journey.

John

I guess what I'm really saying is..great, you have data..where is it?

Such a silly question... This is about AUDIO, not some about physics or EE. And you clearly don't keep up with the audio engineering titans.

- What kind of "wideband inductive probe"? A current probe? Manufacturer? Model?

- What is the conversion constant for this "wideband inductive probe" probe (like input current to voltage into 50ohm)?

- What is the bandwidth of this "wideband inductive probe"?

- How was this probe coupled with the power cable? Unless you split the power cable conductors, the magnetic fields will cancel, what's left is kind of common mode noise.

- SA model and manufacturer? Frequency span and RBW used in these measurement?

- How was the "wideband inductive probe" connected to the spectrum analyzer? SAs are usually 50 ohm input impedance, any high input impedance preamplifier? If so, model, manufacturer, etc...

- How did you separate the cable magnetic field pickup from any over the air pickup?

All good questions. but since you are not going to do the tests nor build anything, why bother me with all these questions?

So, you can take the 'noise' displays seriously? It's there alright. I gave the scales already. see the fine print.

I want to thank Richard for giving us the "$20" solution for a clean power line without too much advance investment.
The $20.00 solution is obvious and no excuses for not trying one on line level gear at least, indeed one of these would power Scott's T-Amp no problems.
Ten minutes to scrounge the junkbox or order from Ebay/Amazon etc, 30 minutes to nail the bits to a breadboard and wire it and then try it out....not a big investment in time, certainly less time than generating arguments about the subject.

Perhaps more discussion regarding the total effects of such a power filter is in order.
As per code, AC supply/house wiring impedance is less than 1 ohm at DC/50/60 Hz.
At higher frequencies this supply impedance will of course be different.

The AC filtering components reduce HF/RF intrusion into the DUT, but how does this changed supply impedance characteristic alter harmonics production in typical xformer/bridge rect/reservoir caps low PF PSU stage ?.

Dan.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Howie ---- Well, I probably can because the company does not distribute power products any more and that was also a long time ago. But it is too much to describe in words and a BOM and full data etc. Why? Because No one here will even make a 20 dollar ac line filter to try.

I showed the wide spectrum of noise on the ac power lines and where it came from. I showed the filter response. I showed the parts used of the dual filter that Mark listened to. Isnt that enough to get interest in building it? Guess not.

Rigid comes to mind.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If Richard has any data that was not used in marketing, sales, training or otherwise we missed. Anything and everything would be used to sell. The only secrets would be the costs and margins the retailers had (they were and are pretty shocking. . . ) Today the pressure for margin and low price has pretty much eliminated much room to make anything that's not really stripped in the mass market. The stuff works but premium features and quality are gone.

The only secrets would be the costs and margins the retailers had (they were and are pretty shocking. . . )
In that case you might be shocked that the likes of K-Mart want 100% markup, plus fees for shelf space plus extra fees for shelf space positioning.....and after that if that shelf space is not generating the turnover/profit they want your product is deleted and out the door.

Dan.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
BTW -- The $20 cheap-o back-to-back xfmr ac line isolation and filter was never used by Monster. It is what Mark heard though.

It is not what is done inside the -7000. The -7000 is better and uses costly triple-shielded, balanced, ultra isolation toroidal transformers.

-RNM

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Richard,
Good luck in getting your lady out of the country. Hopefully this happens without any excitement. I think she'll do well. She's got a very good idea of what living in poverty really is and will probably work hard to distance herself. She'll make you proud of her.

May good karma follow you around for this.

Now, as for people trying filtering. I suspect that some lurkers will be trying these things out. We will never know of course. I'll be doing this down the road once I receive boards and bits.

-Chris

Ten minutes to scrounge the junkbox or order from Ebay/Amazon etc, 30 minutes to nail the bits to a breadboard and wire it and then try it out....not a big investment in time, certainly less time than generating arguments about the subject.
I'm sure Waly, witch seem so interested, will try-it and provide detailed datas of his results and will explain-us what he did:
- What kind of "wideband inductive probe"? A current probe? Manufacturer? Model?

- What was the conversion constant for this "wideband inductive probe" probe (like input current to voltage into 50ohm)?

- What was the bandwidth of this "wideband inductive probe"?

- How was this probe coupled with the power cable? Unless you split the power cable conductors, the magnetic fields will cancel, what's left is kind of common mode noise.

- SA model and manufacturer? Frequency span and RBW used in these measurement?

- How was the "wideband inductive probe" connected to the spectrum analyzer? SAs are usually 50 ohm input impedance, any high input impedance preamplifier? If so, model, manufacturer, etc...

- How did he separate the cable magnetic field pickup from any over the air pickup?

For once, it would produce something useful and interesting. I should say for once he would produce ... something.

The AC filtering components reduce HF/RF intrusion into the DUT, but how does this changed supply impedance characteristic alter harmonics production in typical xformer/bridge rect/reservoir caps low PF PSU stage ?.
There is many solutions to design a low noise PSU. Of course, any reduction of the HF noise in the AC line will reduce the noise out of a psu with a given rejection.
Again (and again), it is not so much there that the double transformer filtering brings an audible advantage. It is in reducing the parasitic voltage between the grounds of the equipment you will connect together.
Of course, this voltage will be highly reduced, once connected, due to its high impedance and the low impedance of the connection. But...it is HF, you know ?
And those currents, once connected, will be superposed to the signal's references.
Well, if it is HF, we cannot hear-it, right ? Yes, but, once mixed with the signal, how much IM will-it produce in your amplifier ?
Measurements that will reflect the improvements are not so easy to do. But listening is.

of course, if your amplifier is perfect, or if you are fully symmetrical with a high rejection of CM at HF, it will not bring any audible improvement: Do not conclude it is unuseful. Just be happy: you have a system that do not need-it ;-)

Last edited:
Derfy,
Take an oscilloscope and look at the power supple rails yourself. Then look at the output.

I did, in my NAD mid-fi amplifier. Some mV of RF junk on the supply rails, absolutely nothing at the output, except some 500uV of 50Hz and 150Hz mains harmonics.

I think I’m ******, what should I do?

I'm sure Waly, witch seem so interested, will try-it and provide detailed datas of his results and will explain-us what he did:

I’m really surprised you did not notice the posts quoted above. Nothing, zip, nada. The question still stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.