John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waly,
Great! Now try a differential probe between the amplifier and a music source. Disconnect the interconnects and just measure between RCA outer shell contacts.
BTY better if you can post images.

Why would I do that? Every signal and power connection is in place and there's nothing at the amp output. Question was, why would I need a 1000 quid power conditioner on this mid-fi system?

Why would I do that? Every signal and power connection is in place and there's nothing at the amp output. Question was, why would I need a 1000 quid power conditioner on this mid-fi system?

It just might show you something interesting.

Now if you could borrow a power conditioner you could see if that would make a perceptible difference. But failing that you could try the experiment with two transformers on a gizmo such as a CD player.

Every so often something that comes with a loony explanation actually works. (Hint the explanation may be completely wrong and it illustrates something else.)

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Build up that bank of metadata from totally random sighted beer-time listening, quantity over quality.

Dear arm chair critic and intimidator supreme;

Dont build or try a line conditioner and listen for yourself. Your choise.

Other's can do the same. It is their choise, also, to see if it matters in thier environment.

Even those beer drinking deplorables.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
JN,
I have done magnetics. The key word on generator design was the word practical. The design goal is typically .5% distortion and make winding easy. (High school summer job.)
Ah, high school summer job... You should have said that up front.

That certainly puts my 25 years of superconducting magnet design, building, and measuring to shame.

What was I thinking???

Jn

We push ppm levels of magfield stuff...I guess we should look for high school kids for advice..

Last edited:
Dear arm chair critic and intimidator supreme;

Dont build or try a line conditioner and listen for yourself. Your choise.

Other's can do the same. It is their choise, also, to see if it matters in thier environment.

Even those beer drinking deplorables.

THx-RNMarsh
Actually, I find Scott's position to be quite accurate.

I also see merit in what you've been saying.

Me personally, I would like data, graphs, schematics, that kinda stuff.

I face this issue in work quite heavily, the trade off between handing everything to the up and comings vs getting them to figure it out themselves...I don't know which is the correct path, so. waffle between..

Jn

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Scott's average typical deplorable beer drinking citizen does not know to have thier kid with headphones playing thier X-Box on the floor next to him, student on the computer and lights on the dimmer and microwave oven cooking, mobile phone on charger, TV etc etc in the home and some even in same room to be turned off when listening to music..... Not likely they would do that. Nor should we want them to change thier life style for better sound quality.

Note: what do you think just those items in the music system all plugged into that wall outlet by a 1 dollar power strip with multiple outlets does? All those noise generators bussed on the same strip? Guess? A wideband noise distribution strip to everything. The likely-hood of HF/RFI intrusion is increased significantly.

My hind sight comes from the data AND from consumer feedback from selling thousands and thousands of such units … the --7000 being the top of the line model.

Try it. What do you have to loose? twenty dollars? Against a more accurate reproduction -- even potentially. Come on - be radical, live dangerously. Splurge. Get out of your comfort zone.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the correct path may be only knowable in hindsight. How much risk are you willing to take?
I gauge it on the risk of failure and my confidence in the person.

Some of my techs I trust without question. I can give them tasks where failure will cost 14 plus million dollars, and tell them to let me know what they did after the fact so I can sign off.

Others, they require hand holding at this time. Eventually, they will rise to the level I wish.

But always a judgement call.

Jn

Scott's average typical deplorable beer drinking citizen

My hind sight comes from the data AND from consumer feedback from selling thousands and thousands of such units … the --7000 being the top of the line model.

Please cool it, I was referring to a typical Saturday night casual audiophile listening session. The deplorable must be in your mind not mine, in fact I find your insinuations extremely offensive. We visited one of JC's distributors years ago for an afternoon of listening and he needed a six pack to get in the mood, well we all had fun .

Someone spends $1300 to improve their system and goes home and confirms yes there was an improvement, excellent objective data.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Please cool it, I was referring to a typical Saturday night casual audiophile listening session.

Oh sure - that is what you meant. Of course, I should have known. uh huh.

Meanwhile, each can see how effective it is with thier system and their environment. T&M and listening.

Go for it, Scott! What do you have to loose but 20 bucks. Do it Your way by all means. We are cheering for you.

:) <3

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.