John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still getting your science history from comic books?

Interestingly, Sizzi was the discoverer of sunspots and their motion. Not exactly visible to the naked eye! To be clear, he wasn't a professor, he wasn't an astronomer- he was a mathematician and theologian. His objections to Galileo's data (Galileo actually had data, what a novel concept!) was scriptural and political (this had to do with the patronage of the Medicis). The comic book quote was not exactly accurate, but par for the course.:D

The take-home: don't let faith delude you into rejecting data.

That fashion started around the same time as the fashion for other bulky iron. You don't even see it mentioned in standard treatments of RIAA (e.g., Crowhurst, Lipshitz) published before the early to mid '90s; I don't know this, but if I were to guess, it probably had the same origin as other irrational fashions in "high end" audio- Jean Hiraga.

Since it carries no performance advantage, costs more, but looks impressive, I think you'll have a hard time coming up with an engineering justification.

I believe Tango had been making their RIAA module since the seventies. Of course the design of LCR phono-stages is anathema to audio engineers but some of what we have as a result of the recent efforts of the AES are movie theaters with headache-inducing audio and PA systems that are an assault on the ears.

My experience with diy systems designed by engineers, notwithstanding your own, is they always have sonic problems or anomalies that are ignored or never addressed because in their own minds the design is "sound", no pun intended.

John

Last edited:
Sorry SY, this quote was taken from another previous reference: Joseph Jastrow 'The Story of Human Error' New York: D. Appleton-Century, 1936. Perhaps we should find THAT book and then look at its footnotes, and so on and so on.
NOBODY, has all the 'cold truth', and that includes certain PhD's as well, who like the rest of us, have feet of clay.
The wording of the message may have changed, just like the Greek Philosophers must have with retelling and retranslation, but the ESSENCE is there, and it should be looked at carefully. Working back from a conclusion is the point, not whether the guy was a mathematician, etc.
For example, what about the 'chip'. Impossible by known science? Who knows? Yet it is treated that way. Bybee? Same thing. It gets old after awhile.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Still getting your science history from comic books?

Interestingly, Sizzi was the discoverer of sunspots and their motion. Not exactly visible to the naked eye! To be clear, he wasn't a professor, he wasn't an astronomer- he was a mathematician and theologian. His objections to Galileo's data (Galileo actually had data, what a novel concept!) was scriptural and political (this had to do with the patronage of the Medicis). The comic book quote was not exactly accurate, but par for the course.:D

The take-home: don't let faith delude you into rejecting data.

Indeed. When Galileo initially came up with his novel concepts, he was immediately invited to the Vatican as the Pope and his cardinales were quite enthousiastic about this new glimpse into God's handiwork.

But, by the time galileo thought about actually going there, Martin Luther had thrown his spanner into the works and the Church retreated into a fetal position to keep themselves together and Galileo's stuff all of a sudden was heresy. Political, indeed!

jan didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sorry SY, this quote was taken from another previous reference: Joseph Jastrow 'The Story of Human Error' New York: D. Appleton-Century, 1936. Perhaps we should find THAT book and then look at its footnotes, and so on and so on.
NOBODY, has all the 'cold truth', and that includes certain PhD's as well, who like the rest of us, have feet of clay.
The wording of the message may have changed, just like the Greek Philosophers must have with retelling and retranslation, but the ESSENCE is there, and it should be looked at carefully. Working back from a conclusion is the point, not whether the guy was a mathematician, etc.
For example, what about the 'chip'. Impossible by known science? Who knows? Yet it is treated that way. Bybee? Same thing. It gets old after awhile.

It's pretty arrogant to compare a giant like Galileo who did research and completely documented his discoveries, supporting measurements and calculations so that anyone could repeate them and get the same results, to a businessman like Bybee who in essense says 'trust me, would I lie to you'?'

Talking about lack of perspective. Jeez.

jan didden

Status
Not open for further replies.