John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott,

We were discussing attack not decay. Decay as far as I have found is always clean and linear unless of course it drops down low enough to be in the dead zones you don't believe in. Attack of a resonance must be started, you are certainly allowed to believe whatever you want. I'll look at measurements, experience and results.

Attached is a screen shot of a voltage divider using a "good" resistor for the bottom and a "not so good" for the top. Multiple averages and a low noise preamp were added. ES

The dead zones are not there just like the magnetic domains in a transformer don't have them. Any mechanical impulse with excite the resonance, please ED I could give you some references to gravity wave detector research (the ones using many ton weights) There are no mechanical resonance dead zones attack or decay. And yes they have measurements and results and 100's of years combined experience doing this. And I assure you they are working orders of magnitude lower than anything done here.

"MiniGRAIL ball, it will vibrate with displacements on the order of 10-20 m. For comparison, the cross-section of a single proton (the nucleus of a hydrogen atom), is 10-15 m (1 fm)."

"Not so good" here looks pathological enough that if you don't share the details for others to duplicate the results it might as well be another Sasquatch photo.

Last edited:
In the run of the mill military parts work with thousands of parts being built per day, the ratio was typically 20 to 1. And that was on standard product.

Military hybrids were even worse.

And even at those ratios, the profit was not very high. QA and labor was a very big chunk of the final selling price.

Amps like JC's, wires like SE's, lots of the high end stuff has by nature, very large labor costs as a result of scale of manufacture and complexity. I couldn't in all conscience lambast the higher costs, it'd actually be contrary to my experience.

In the case of wires, I wouldn't spend much, but that's because I can make my own.

Cheers, John

Ed I'm even more intrigued as I think about it. If you make a divider with one end grounded how do the resistors conspire to "know" where to put the dead zone? Or is it just going through 0? In that case finding a resistor with totally broken contact metalurgy isn't that profound.

Last edited:
The dead zones are not there just like the magnetic domains in a transformer don't have them. Any mechanical impulse with excite the resonance, please ED I could give you some references to gravity wave detector research (the ones using many ton weights) There are no mechanical resonance dead zones attack or decay. And yes they have measurements and results and 100's of years combined experience doing this. And I assure you they are working orders of magnitude lower than anything done here.

"Good" here looks pathological enough that if you don't share the details for others to duplicate the results it might as well be another Sasquatch photo.

Scott,

Mass based Gravity wave detectors use mass to increase sensitivity and expect a recurring excitation to build a resonance from an extremely weak signal. Some folks use spheres to avoid directivity. If they were excited by a single pulse, how would you tell apart noise from signal? Use a Bybee?

An organ pipe has 3 dimensions it takes a bit before it settles into one dominant mode. Organ builders have millenias of combined experience, so what, that is not the core issue. The triggering behavior is. If you want to scope a pipe under constant excitation and watch the resonance start and build, send me a picture. If it starts instantly on pitch and continues to build then the point is yours. Next time I am able to If I try to get the data set, you'll accuse me of faking it.

I will publish my techniques for making low level measurements and some of the results when I finish. Nothing new here other than looking. You are welcome to take your best low noise amplifier and look across a 100 ohm Dale military 25 ppm metal film resistor (something I have mentioned before) using a 1k carbon film resistor with magnetic end caps as the high side source yourself. Try signal levels just above your noise floor, enough to get good pictures with 256 averages. I use a primary voltage divider also using good resistors. The test is... does the signal change when you change the resistor under test, otherwise all you are looking at is crossover distortion in your preamp. No secrets on this, just ask. If you get different results then we can swap test specimens and see what is going on. Always open to share.

ES

Actually, the AD825 has several real advantages for both line amp and regulator service. Two of these are: High open loop bandwidth, and high RF input tolerance.
The fact that the AD825 has little or no FM distortion is an added bonus, as this tends to make it sound better than most any other IC in this service.

Do you by any chance have some corroborative evidence that indicates that it's lack of FM distortion rather than high RF input tolerance which lead to its good sound? Or is your attribution of the cause guesswork?

Scott,

Mass based Gravity wave detectors use mass to increase sensitivity and expect a recurring excitation to build a resonance from an extremely weak signal. Some folks use spheres to avoid directivity. If they were excited by a single pulse, how would you tell apart noise from signal? Use a Bybee?
ES

The single pulse is above the noise?

If there was a dead zone to overcome they would get nothing ever. You are talking about different issues with a complex mechanical system.

Last edited:
In the run of the mill military parts work with thousands of parts being built per day, the ratio was typically 20 to 1. And that was on standard product.

Military hybrids were even worse.

And even at those ratios, the profit was not very high. QA and labor was a very big chunk of the final selling price.

Amps like JC's, wires like SE's, lots of the high end stuff has by nature, very large labor costs as a result of scale of manufacture and complexity. I couldn't in all conscience lambast the higher costs, it'd actually be contrary to my experience.

In the case of wires, I wouldn't spend much, but that's because I can make my own.

Cheers, John

Apples and oranges. Military grade hardware always requires far more testing, much tighter tolerences, more documentation, and a far more elaborate administrative and tracking process than even industrial equipment let alone consumer grade equipment including high end audio equipment.

There are many factors that affect manufacturing cost and selling price of high end equipment. Small production lots means no economy of scale in many aspects such as tooling. It also means no buying power when it comes to suppliers. Labor costs depend on where the labor is bought, China and Bangladesh being far less expensive than the San Francisco Bay area even at sweatshop rates. High end manufacturers often also use customized variants of standard off the shelf parts not because they are better but to prevent reverse engineering by competitors and hobbyists and to monopolize replacement parts. These variants add greatly to the cost of parts that go into much high end equipment because of the low production runs the supplier produces making it much more expensive on a per unit basis to amortize the customized product.

Generally the build quality of high end audio products varies all over the lot just like other products from excellent to atrocious. There is often no correlation between quality and price not to mention between performance and price. When it comes to high end audio gear, it's cavaet emptor, buyer beware.

The last time that I spoke to Jack Bybee, the Pacific Resistor cost him about $7.00 ea.
Now, you junior engineers out there, you might scope out the size, power rating, etc. of the resistor, no surplus parts in this example, please. Jack has not used surplus resistors for at least a decade, in this product, and they were .25-.3 ohms in value.

Status
Not open for further replies.