John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time errors between left and right channels.

I would call it:

The human interpretation of the location of various sound sources during reproduction of the recorded event.

Humans key off specific parameters to interpret the location.

Two key parameters are interchannel intensity difference and interchannel timing difference. Soundminded has proffered the power level as another..

Interchannel time errors I would consider as an unwanted change which would cause incorrect positioning of an image either in full, or by spectra.

But I really think simon was being facetious..

Cheers, John

I would call it:

Two key parameters are interchannel intensity difference and interchannel timing difference. Soundminded has proffered the power level as another..

Interchannel time errors I would consider as an unwanted change which would cause incorrect positioning of an image either in full, or by spectra.

But I really think simon was being facetious..

Cheers, John

John,

No not facetious. What happens if one side has energy hang around longer than the other? Does stretching the length of time energy is presented to a listener change their perspective?

Have you ever placed a loudspeaker under a piano to make it seem the piano is being played even when it is not a player piano and no one is there? This is done every so often in bars and restaurants. It can be scary how real it sounds. Is this entirely a visual perception issue? I don't think so as the speaker really needs to couple to the piano's sounding board to get maximum effect.

Intensity is different that volume to me and I think you understand this. Intensity is a three dimensional vector. It is not reproduced with any accuracy in a stereo system. But I do not want to get to the complex conjugate and how to get a "clean" music reference.

ES

Scott, the REAL hero of 1965.

Attachments

• the real 1965 hero.jpg
    the real 1965 hero.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 198
Pavel,

Will get there, it is interesting. But there is no single answer as vacuum tubes even with the same type numbers behave differently in the time domain.

Scott,

You know perfectly well the normally considered nonlinear distortions don't hang around after the excitation signal.

Which sounds worse 5% 2nd order thd or 4,000hz hanging around for 10ms. (to -60db)?

Which sounds better .001% 3rd harmonic or 350hz reverbing for 125ms?

Just for grins anyone can try a bit of frequency selective reverb of very short duration. It can go from increased warmth to nasty sibilance. Nothing new here, acousticians have know this for decades even if they are still refining their criteria now that better instruments exist.

Next trick is to supply the filament to the tube under test with an audio power amplifier set to provide the proper DC voltage with a small sweepable AC component. Guess which tubes sound better the ones with the least filament sing, the ones with resonances in the lows or mids, or the ones that hid upper mids to highs?

Oh yeah what is soundstage?

ES

Lots of good stuff here about tube colorations, they go on and on don't they? Maybe someone should codify them and do a DSP version. Are you telling me that you have a solidstate amp that has 10ms of "reverb". Reverb and ringing are not the same thing. Reverb implies true memory, folks mix this up a lot with cap DA (hint: caps can't carry a tune).

Lots of good stuff here about tube colorations, they go on and on don't they? Maybe someone should codify them and do a DSP version. Are you telling me that you have a solidstate amp that has 10ms of "reverb". Reverb and ringing are not the same thing. Reverb implies true memory, folks mix this up a lot with cap DA (hint: caps can't carry a tune).

I will add frequency and content selective reverb to a complete sound system to improve the subjective performance!

A fine line between frequency selective reverb and ringing. Does a spring reverb ring? How close is a tube's construction to a spring reverb?

Is mechanical stability a factor in tube sound, most likely. Is it the only one, not at all.

Again the point is that if you do not include time response in your measurements you can miss something. Does solid state gear have issues that the time axis will show? Thermal issues may show up, along with some overlooked mechanical issues.

New? Interesting...

You stated: quote"The mathematical model for cables of all types is one of the most well understood and highest correlation formula when compared to testing data we have. I'm referrig to the "Telegrapher's Equation." It gives the lump sum parameter equivalent of the distributed parameter network of a cable. "

You are incorrect. From your response, you do not understand it nor it's implications with respect to speaker loads, line length, and amplifier stability.

Perhaps I should update the wiki page to reflect reality?

Again...
Lumped element models do not consider the relationship between the load impedance and the cable impedance. Nor, do they correctly consider the physical length of the speaker wire connected to a load which does not match the wire impedance.

If you wish to learn this stuff, give me a PM..I don't think this thread is the correct place to teach you.
Your mis-understanding is btw, that of the majority. Not your fault..
I said:
"Or, possibly, problems that have not to date been discernable using standardized blind testing. I remain open to that possibility."
you responded:

Interesting to know, but has nothing to do with what I said.

I said:
"Actually, they do for first order numbers. Specifically, the capacitance and cable impedance are. But second order effects such as absorbtion, no."
you responded:

Never made a high accuracy S/H eh?
Or hi-potted a large capacitive structure only to find that simply shorting the terminals momentarily doesn't prevent recovery?

What??
Lissajous pattern theory???? Like, in ....time tunnel?

I have a novel idea..how about an inductance meter..

Or use the equation LC = 1034 DC, L in nH per foot, C in pf per foot.

No. and ...No.

A low Z cable has to be considered independently from the load. That is where guys like you need to learn reality. Googling this stuff ain't gonna find what I speak of...I haven't put it on wiki..

PM me if you wish.. We can even catch up on the years since AR..

Cheers, John

ps..it would help if you address the entity without adding lots of off-topic stuff, your posts remind me of JR's diatribes. If you can do it short and concise, other's won't have to piece together a coherent post by wading through lots of off topic stuff.

I resent being compared to JR. That kind of abuse is totally uncalled for.

A fine line between frequency selective reverb and ringing. Does a spring reverb ring? How close is a tube's construction to a spring reverb?

Not that fine. A spring has true delay and memory, remember magneto-strictive delay line memories? I had a 4k bit one up and running for weeks as a lab project. There were also the piezo-glass delay lines for SECAM color decoding, SAW filters?

Any thoughts on how to build a sonically good ic op amp, or what is missing in existing ic op amp designs ?.

Its a good question. JC would tell you it needs to have wide OL bandwidth for the best sound. I'd concur, but not for the reasons that JC says (TIM.PIM or whatever). I think its because of input stage non-linearities under RF excitation. So the input stage is where we need to have wide bandwidth. This seems hard to get when very low noise is also a goal. Scott's AD797 while great for getting super low noise and incredibly low distortion was chucked out of Walt Jung's ultra-low noise regulator design because of its RF susceptibility. Maybe Scott has something to share in this regard - did Walt speak to you about that?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its a good question. JC would tell you it needs to have wide OL bandwidth for the best sound. I'd concur, but not for the reasons that JC says (TIM.PIM or whatever). I think its because of input stage non-linearities under RF excitation. So the input stage is where we need to have wide bandwidth. This seems hard to get when very low noise is also a goal. Scott's AD797 while great for getting super low noise and incredibly low distortion was chucked out of Walt Jung's ultra-low noise regulator design because of its RF susceptibility. Maybe Scott has something to share in this regard - did Walt speak to you about that?

It wasn't RF issues. I was the one who convinced (at considerable discussion) Walt that we shouldn't use the 797 in a diy regulator project as we had difficulty to keep the whole thing stable in the light of wildly varying loads. But anyway this had nothing to do with 'good sounding opamps' of course.

jan didden

It wasn't RF issues. I was the one who convinced (at considerable discussion) Walt that we shouldn't use the 797 in a diy regulator project as we had difficulty to keep the whole thing stable in the light of wildly varying loads.

Oh, my apologies Jan - I was sure I read somewhere that it was RF susceptibility. I must dig out Walt's writings to double check. Wasn't the replacement a JFET input type?

It wasn't RF issues. I was the one who convinced (at considerable discussion) Walt that we shouldn't use the 797 in a diy regulator project as we had difficulty to keep the whole thing stable in the light of wildly varying loads. But anyway this had nothing to do with 'good sounding opamps' of course.

jan didden
AD825 seems to be an excellent choice since the phase characteristics near 0 dB gain is excellent. I have only good to say about this opamp as long as it works in proper conditions. LT1028 seems to work good but personally I have tested this opamp but others have. AD825 is a bit old and I think you can pick a dozen good opamp types today.

Status
Not open for further replies.