John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I also did some.jitter measurements with Toslink at 192 KHz and 48 KHz. With current gen receivers 20 pS jitter is typical and often less. I would describe jitter as a solved problem. The receivers are all less than $5 and some are around $1 in smaller quantity.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I am glad current gen can do this. Now I don't have to measure it. And, my current ADC/DAC are what you could call 'current gen'.... although, thru most of the CD era, I haven't had such good performance. Maybe others aren't using current gen products in their systems??

So, next is how good is the Zo/coax line/Zl matching? Its the reflections of fast tr signals which can get receiver into trouble via distorted waveform... . Like your comment of not working at all. Anything seen/measured about this?

https://www.avtechpulse.com/appnote/techbrief12/

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I
Slightly longer version is that it sounds nice. Okay, I would say for casual listening. Not as suitable for mixing or mastering as the DAC-1 though. Why not? Less HF clarity, punch, and distinction between different instrument sounds. And more HF smearing, masking, and distortion compared to DAC-1. It doesn't have a lot of the bad things though, but enough of them so that I don't really have an application for it at the moment.

How can all that be given the specs look so nice? I wish I knew. I wouldn't have ordered it if I could tell by looking at the specs that it would substantially not sound as good as DAC-1. I really wanted it to be a winner too. It's seems about time for a DAC the caliber of DAC-1 to become available at lower cost. Oh, well. Have to contact the seller now.

Note that the DAC-1 second hand is around $400 if you don't need USB. You clearly like 5532s! You'll be pleased to know that Ken Rockwell thinks the two units are the same (gotta love Ken :) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus Review ).

For me it still boggles the brain that you can make these judgements using NS-10s. But it would be interesting to capture the output from both into your ADC and see what the diff actually is. Maybe that could form another test to see who could tell them apart from recordings.

For me it still boggles the brain that you can make these judgements using NS-10s. But it would be interesting to capture the output from both into your ADC and see what the diff actually is. Maybe that could form another test to see who could tell them apart from recordings.

It boggles my brain that there's "so much different" between these two models, when, for all intents and purposes, there's stuff down in the -80/-90 dB between them.

One could take a cynical view...

Bill, Regarding DacMagic Plus, and the previous version reviewed by Stereophile, the Plus model has more sample rates and a volume knob, and it also sells for $50 less.

Perhaps adding features and cutting costs took some toll. I don't know. Too late now to record it's output vs the output of DAC-1, as it's boxed up ready to drop off at the shipper.

However, most likely a few people like Mooly could hear a difference and many others probably couldn't, especially since the A/D would add some of it's sound which would probably affect accuracy somewhat. Besides that, it might take using something like a DAC-1 or similar to hear the difference. Don't know what DAC Mooly uses, but maybe it would be a good one.

If someone does want to have a listening test of different DACs, I might be able to do that. I still have the Lynx 2, Cranesong HEDD, and one or two others that could be recorded into a few different A/D converters.

Might be more interesting if I had a miniDSP-HD though, since it seems to be a popular box with some DIYAudio members. At least it might serve as some point of reference.

Again though, I would expect results similar to other listening tests, some people hear it, or claim to, and some don't. I'm not sure how we might interpret results in a way that would be of practical value.

Perhaps adding features and cutting costs took some toll.

This is just a speculation. And you can disable volume regulation at start-up, just push and hold volume knob before and when you are pushing the On/Off button when switching ON power of the DAC. Then the volume knob is inactivated. You can find all the info in the manual.

Pavel, Agreed, I was speculating. Interesting to know the Plus version measures better. Since you had an opportunity to measure it, how did you like it?

Another DAC that sounds a little different than DAC-1 and nice sounding to me is the one in the Cranesong HEDD. However, like DACMagic Plus it doesn't sound quite as accurate and detailed as the DAC-1.

That doesn't mean DAC-1 doesn't have a sound of it's own. I kind of think it does, and I don't think it's completely transparent.

Qualitatively and subjectively, in terms of accuracy and detail of sound, maybe I would rate the DACMagic Plus as closer to the HEDD DAC. Not completely sure on that though, it's been awhile since I listened to the HEDD DAC, but my memory of it is similar.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Do you get it? I can't believe the lack of understanding around this from people who should know better. It's hilarious in a way.

You can be so myopic sometimes........ you always come down to this type reply when you don't understand what I have added.

See line #93261 regarding digital pulse reflections affect due to z change.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Those MIT guys are always like this: '-) They are good at what they memorized in class and think anyone who didn't attend the same class is laughable. They remind me of the Prussian physics professors from over 100 years ago, as portrayed in 'Genius' in the series about Albert Einstein that is still being played. Very full of themselves, so much that they couldn't see a new idea even if it is put in front of them.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
So where is this new idea? Not seen one from either you or RNM.

A new idea is only new once. You might have to look around some. Maybe even back a few decades. A person is fortunate to have contributed even one new idea that lasts a long time.

I'm 72 and retired. It is YOUR turn now for fresh new ideas.

I Don't care so much for these things. anymore. But I still like good recorded and reproduced music... and now I have more time to listen.

-Richard

Last edited:
Richard and I agree that you guys don't deserve to be given our BEST IDEAS that have not been already released by us over the past decades. I'm still getting people here to appreciate circuit ideas that I developed over 40 years ago! That is why people can tease me about talking about the past so much. You guys still haven't caught up to what I was doing 40 years ago when it comes to analog design. Besides, I get PAID for my most advanced designs, as that is how I make my living.

Status
Not open for further replies.