John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what you meant by <any> audio format, I understood that Xiph.org determined that FLAC encode input must be PCM data only, and indeed from this perspective FLAC is a codec. FLAC can be stored in other transport containers, but FLAC files by themselves are also a storage format. In this usage you could say it is both a codec and storage format.

Cheers,
Howie

The source can be <any> audio format, even mp3, that then is possibly, transcoded into a data-stream that is stored in the FLAC-file. I use multiple sources, like pcm, ape, ... and more.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The use of compression by recording engineers really baffles me to be honest. It just sounds like crap and why ruin a beautiful musical track??? They have no ears? The youth today like abrasive, compressed sound? I don't know ... is it really about selling records? Do these trashy recordings really sell better?

I think it is often just about plain ignorance about compressed music

I once talked about this with a recording guy. He related a case where he recorded for a band with high dynamic range, low compression at their (the band) request. Only to get a call a few days later from the bandleader complaining that his tunes sounded much less loud on the radio than others!

Possibly this will become a none-issue when the new initiatives for loudness normalization take hold. Eelco Grimm has been working hard on that, trying to get parties like Tidal on board.

Jan

Last edited:
Not bad cost wise, but when you get up near 4TB of music its easier to keep a backup disk with a friend. Now given our respective locations if war kicks off we are a radioactive stain ( I can see AWE Burghfield across the fields which is where trident warheads are made) so I reckon the strategy is good.

I have used multi-dropbox like this for years and it does work well - EXCEPT when a mistake is made ( in vino etc) and a file or folder is deleted unnoticed at the time. Within minutes it is gone from all the copies.

I have struggled with this problem in IT with multiple running backups of files and databases making one feel smugly secure! However, corruption or error quickly gets propagated throughout the backup files.

I never really sorted this .... it is a management problem.

A backup is not a backup until it is restored.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have used multi-dropbox like this for years and it does work well - EXCEPT when a mistake is made ( in vino etc) and a file or folder is deleted unnoticed at the time. Within minutes it is gone from all the copies.

This indeed can appear frightening, but is not catastrophic; in such a case you can contact the Dropbox support desk and they can roll back your deletions, for at least 30 days.

"Recover older versions of files
Dropbox keeps snapshots of all changes made to files in your Dropbox within the past 30 days (or longer with Extended Version History or Dropbox Business). You can recover older versions of files, restore deleted files, or undo deletion events.
Sections in this article:
Return to an older version of a file on dropbox.com
Return to an older version of a file from the Dropbox badge
Return to an older version of a file on Windows
Keep a year of data with Extended Version History
"

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I once talked about this with a recording guy. He related a case where he recorded for a band with high dynamic range, low compression at their (the band) request. Only to get a call a few days later from the bandleader complaining that his tunes sounded much less loud on the radio than others!

Possibly this will become a none-issue when the new initiatives for loudness normalization take hold. Eelco Grimm has been working hard on that, trying to get parties like Tidal on board.

Jan

This was the writeup I referred to:

https://octo.hku.nl/octo/repository/getfile?id=qLlZPGSVXFM

Jan

@Jan

"This indeed can appear frightening, but is not catastrophic; in such a case you can contact the Dropbox support desk and they can roll back your deletions, for at least 30 days"

True, of course, but some of my files/folders have not been "looked at" for many many months! If one is aware of a deletion, no problem.

since we have the experts on this thread, i wanted to ask a related question.
Why is it that for the same recording, we often seem to find significantly higher dynamic range on LP vs CD or hirez downloads, esp in the case of popular music ?
I was browsing through dr.loudness-war.info and saw bruno mars for example because my son asked the question.

You said "same recording" but although the music may be the same, the master used may be diffferent. See my post: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/loun...ch-preamplifier-part-ii-9295.html#post5101267
for more details

Cheers!
Howie

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
@Jan

"This indeed can appear frightening, but is not catastrophic; in such a case you can contact the Dropbox support desk and they can roll back your deletions, for at least 30 days"

True, of course, but some of my files/folders have not been "looked at" for many many months! If one is aware of a deletion, no problem.

OK, yes, it is always possible to lose stuff; but this scenario gets close to the risk of global nuclear war :D

And let's face it, whatever your backup scheme, things like this can always happen.

Jan

You said "same recording" but although the music may be the same, the master used may be diffferent. See my post: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/loun...ch-preamplifier-part-ii-9295.html#post5101267
for more details

Cheers!
Howie

Would you mind quoting the post number ? The links are acting up again on my browser.

I always assumed that the "best" copy was going to be a download not a rip from vinyl! At least for recent pop it seems that the only high dr source may be vinyl. Ironic, but at least I may now have an excuse to build Scotts new phono stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.