John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howie,
To simplify a little, I think part of what Scott was trying to explain is that in most music, not all frequencies are fully in use all the time. That being the case, there must be some potential bandwidth that is not being used. If someone can figure out a way to cleverly compress only the fraction of the bandwidth actually being used, then potentially it might be done without loss.

Also, again in lay terms, in the case of noise, it uses all frequencies all the time so available bandwidth is always fully in use.

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply and I get that part regarding Scott's statement, and I also think pure linear 24bit will have a better noise floor all else being equal than one where the bottom six bits are used to encode other information, never mind lossy encoding of other information.

But what I can't get past is how they claim superior timing encoding while using well-quantified filter topologies being employed elsewhere, indeed the simplest filters in some ways.

Howie

Howie,
To simplify a little, I think part of what Scott was trying to explain is that in most music, not all frequencies are fully in use all the time. That being the case, there must be some potential bandwidth that is not being used. If someone can figure out a way to cleverly compress only the fraction of the bandwidth actually being used, then potentially it might be done without loss.

Also, again in lay terms, in the case of noise, it uses all frequencies all the time so available bandwidth is always fully in use.

But things like FLAC already approach the limit and when you look deeper it is a lossy format if the comparison is lossless 24/96.

Of course there is no noise floor to hide under, the lower 6 bits have to be removed as a container.

They claim the files are directly playable as 24/48 files, so does this not mean the lower six bits are the noise floor on a regular player? I don't think Foobar for instance or it's driver know to truncate the lower six bits when it sees a MQA file. This would leave the subcoded info as non-random noise in Foobar.

Howie

the lower 6 bits in MQA could be perceptually 'uncorrelated noise'

its possible to be 'random noise' to the ear and still contain info - most claim only the 2nd moment of noise matters to human hearing

which is the heart of the watermarking and subcoding schemes

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Slightly OT: I have three PCs at 2 locations and use Dropbox on all three. That means that each PC as well as the Dropbox servers all have a copy of all my files, documents as well as music. Cost: € 8 per month for up to a terabyte (I am currently using 200G).

Jan

Not bad cost wise, but when you get up near 4TB of music its easier to keep a backup disk with a friend. Now given our respective locations if war kicks off we are a radioactive stain ( I can see AWE Burghfield across the fields which is where trident warheads are made) so I reckon the strategy is good.

its possible to be 'random noise' to the ear and still contain info - most claim only the 2nd moment of noise matters to human hearing which is the heart of the watermarking and subcoding schemes

Understood, as Scott put it, the most highly compressed data appears as noise, however they are touting this as a 24/48 file...except all lower six bits are noise! Even if the six lower bits sound exactly like noise this effectively makes it little better than a CD's dynamic range, not equivalent to a 24/48 file.

Me thinketh something doth smell...and I just took a shower, so it ain't me.

Howie

What else, but you have to realize that FLAC is not an audio format, it is a storage format, like .zip (containing .<any>) e.g. your .flac may contain .<any> audio format. :)

I'm not sure what you meant by <any> audio format, I understood that Xiph.org determined that FLAC encode input must be PCM data only, and indeed from this perspective FLAC is a codec. FLAC can be stored in other transport containers, but FLAC files by themselves are also a storage format. In this usage you could say it is both a codec and storage format.

Cheers,
Howie

Me thinketh something doth smell...and I just took a shower, so it ain't me.

Howie

This is another job for Maxwell's Demon. All 24 bits of the 48K can not contain both valid data for 24/48 as well as all the folded data if it is meant to just play as 24/48 on any 24 bit capable player. IIRC one of the references posted in the last few days did some deconstruction on some files.

since we have the experts on this thread, i wanted to ask a related question.
Why is it that for the same recording, we often seem to find significantly higher dynamic range on LP vs CD or hirez downloads, esp in the case of popular music ?
I was browsing through dr.loudness-war.info and saw bruno mars for example because my son asked the question.

since we have the experts on this thread, i wanted to ask a related question.
Why is it that for the same recording, we often seem to find significantly higher dynamic range on LP vs CD or hirez downloads, esp in the case of popular music ?
I was browsing through dr.loudness-war.info and saw bruno mars for example because my son asked the question.

This link might answer your question.

Dynamic Comparison of LPs vs CDs - Part 4 - page 2 | Audioholics

Also, As for dynamic compression on CD vs LP ... mass market music is often compressed more and there are different reasons for this. I think LPs are marketed to a different audience ( audiophiles? ) and so more care is taken in mastering the recording to sound good on a high end audio system.

The use of compression by recording engineers really baffles me to be honest. It just sounds like crap and why ruin a beautiful musical track??? They have no ears? The youth today like abrasive, compressed sound? I don't know ... is it really about selling records? Do these trashy recordings really sell better?

I think it is often just about plain ignorance about compressed music

Interesting. So that thread ascribes a mild positive to the effective DR of LP vs CD. But take a look at a few I pulled up from the DR database mentioned above. Note that these were chosen as being representative of the standard pop fare and far far removed from the kind of material that the (typically older) audiophile folks would listen to.
Looks like a great strategy to reinvigorate vinyl for the younger generation using precisely the material that is popular with them. If the readings below are to be believed, any demo would show off the differences like night and day in favour of the vinyl ... so the illuminati lives ! :D:D

Attachments

• bruno mars.JPG
    bruno mars.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 175
  • kendrick-lamar.JPG
    kendrick-lamar.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 176
  • ed-shreen.JPG
    ed-shreen.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Status