John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ticknpop, you probably know more about what Constellation has built than I do, but I think you have it approximately right. I personally had to supply (for a price) the input devices for the Orion from my personal stock of jfets. They just asked me last night for more! '-) However, my 2SK146's and 2SJ73's is now more limited, and any following devices (if they really want them), will cost them at least twice as much as the first batch. And yes, the Perseus and the Orion are essentially the same internally.

Last edited:
Now that some people have responded to this AES paper 'Measurement of a Neglected Circuit Characteristic' for better or lesser, I would like to point out something that seems to be ignored by just about everybody.
Here is page 3 where I have underlined something that appears to be most important: Low open loop bandwidth might be a contributor to 'memory distortion'. This could be the key to improved listening quality, above and beyond local heating in passive and active components. That is what I want to look for.

Attachments

• mem pole.jpg
    mem pole.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 243
Important in that it shows just how pernicious Otala's "framing" has been

and Ironic just one post separated from Scott's mentioning the AD796 ATE application - and the whole analysis that should bring to mind of most well educated Analog EE

ATE settling time analysis has been done to death in many app notes, textbooks, Williams, Pease to mention a few better known

a start for the search impaired: http://www.edn.com/design/analog/4363562/Measuring--wideband-amplifier--settling--time
References
“LT1818/LT1819 400MHz, 2500V/μs, 9mA Single/Dual Operational Amplifiers,” Linear Technology Corp, 2002.
Williams, Jim, “1ppm Settling Time Measurement for a Monolithic 18-Bit DAC,” Linear Technology Corp, Application Note 120, March 2010.
Williams, Jim, “30 Nanosecond Settling Time Measurement for a Precision Wideband Amplifier,” Linear Technology Corp, Application Note 79, September 1999.
Williams, Jim, “Component and Measurement Advances Ensure 16-Bit DAC Settling Time,” Linear Technology Corp, Application Note 74, July 1998.
Williams, Jim, “Measuring 16-Bit settling times: the art of timely accuracy,” EDN, Nov 19, 1998, pg 159.
Williams, Jim, “Methods for Measuring Op Amp Settling Time,” Linear Technology Corp, Application Note 10, July 1985.
Kayabasi, Cezmi, “Settling Time Measurement Techniques Achieving High Precision at High Speeds,” Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 2005.
Williams, Jim, “Precisely measure settling time to 1 ppm,” EDN, March 4, 2010, pg 20.
Korn, Granio A, and Theresa M Korn, Electronic Analog and Hybrid Computers, “Diode Switches,” pg 223, McGraw-Hill, 1964.
Carlson, R, “A Versatile New DC-500 MHz Oscilloscope with High Sensitivity and Dual Channel Display,” Hewlett-Packard Journal, January 1960.
Tektronix Inc, Type 1S1 Sampling Plug-In Operating and Service Manual, Tektronix Inc, 1965.
Mulvey, John, Sampling Oscilloscope Circuits, Tektronix Inc, Concept Series, 1970.
“Sampling Notes,” Tektronix Inc, 1964.
Pease, Robert A, “The Subtleties of Settling Time,” The New Lightning Empiricist, Teledyne Philbrick, June 1971.

just the titles, dates of the references should clue you in to the long history and high resolution achived

Last edited:
10 ms/100 rad/s ~ 16 Hz, hearing threshold in quiet >70 dB SPL

but don't let mere inaudibility of their measured 'Commercial Amplifier' -60 dB 'Memory Distortion' be the sole argument

although it is fun to put some numbers on the 3 Vrms output, < 3mV "memory distortion" 'scope shot from the paper

you also need an appreciation of low frequency human hearing 'threshold of hearing in quiet' - which rises pretty much 1 decade/decade below ~ 200 Hz (200 Hz would be ~ 1 ms time constant)

suppose the amp, speakers were capable of 120 dB SPL at a full 30 Vrms - then the shown 'memory distortion' step would be ~40 dB SPL - which couldn't be heard on its own in a anechoic chamber with minutes of accommodation for the ears to relax enough to hear your pulse, blood flow noise - given its low frequency content - by a margin of 30 dB!

my main argument however is still that 'memory free' response is readily available in high loop gain amplifiers with only minor attention to diff pair dissipation (need I again mention bootstrap cascode) and quality feedback components

you are amazingly uniformed if you think Industrial Scientific Measurement oriented designers haven't categorized ADC, DAC, analog signal chains on ms to seconds time scales - to the point that those 1ppm, 18, 20 bit, ect. settling times are quite sufficient characterizations to "those skilled in the arts" - and they know when to switch to tempco, thermocouple, 1/f noise explainations for appropriate time scales

nothing is mysterious is happening at 10 ms in those systems:

The 20-Bit DAC Is the Easiest Part of a 1-ppm-Accurate Precision Voltage Source | Analog Devices

my baseline for that is my last pro gig, which was designing force and motion control instrumentation including strain gage force sensor amplifiers with gains up to 4000x, looking at them with 16 bit 16 ks/s/channel ADC, characterizing them into the noise floor with 10 Hz 6 pole digital filters

it was easy to see sub lsb stepping drifts from turn on thermal transients, even creep in the plastic backed strain gage foils - at minutes to seconds time scales

there's a difference between 'everything' and what is in that paper

sure, just use the (now 20 year evolved) ADC/DAC as mentioned in the paper

some 'audio' types may be fine, but again the ISM market has pushed ADC/
DAC beyond mere audio requirements in the last decade

alternatively try actually addressing any one of my specific arguments with EE or Psychoacoutics knowledge, references, calculations...

Last edited:
No, it was for a 20V p-p 100kHz driver for ATE. As I've said in the past, IMHO precision instrumentation and audio are essentially one in the same.

I think most of us came to the conclusion, it is just the same and one and only physics behind that. With some minor reduced requirements, like we do not need DC precision in audio circuits.

Yes. And sometimes thorough set of measurements may indicate to problems of particular implementation.

I did not like ABX tests in the past. But now, more and more, I do not rely on uncontrolled test. We may be biased, even if we believe we are not. The sound perception is really very complex.

Internal mental processes are probably different if using any sort of ABX if compared for example to A/B tests, at least the results were different (as trials in the 1950s/1960s have shown). Therefore experimenters _have_ to incorporate controls to ensure that they are getting correct results. It seems people don´t accommodate to every test protocol to the same degree.

I think most of us came to the conclusion, it is just the same and one and only physics behind that. With some minor reduced requirements, like we do not need DC precision in audio circuits.

Most of the people "came to the conclusion", that thay should blindly belive in what official science authorities tell them, so they belive that the monkeys are their distant relatives ,they also belive in big bang and other insane stories...
It's not all about, physics,measurements and science (censored and closed as it is now).

Joined 2014
Paid Member
In the case of some people on the internet I am not sure the distance is that much...

Problem is with your statement is that most scientists don't 'believe', they accept the model that currently best fits the available data. As Feyman always drilled into his students, you can never prove a theory, only disprove it. Press offices always mangle things of course.

Most of the people "came to the conclusion", that thay should blindly belive in what official science authorities tell them, so they belive that the monkeys are their distant relatives ,they also belive in big bang and other insane stories...
It's not all about, physics,measurements and science (censored and closed as it is now).

Very good Sir!
Philosophy > Science.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.