John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, that's your problem, you listen to music. If you would just stop staring at the ground and drooling, you could appreciate the finer points of high price tag.... errrr.... huckster physics.... err... high performance. The kind of performance that is so wonderful, you have to peek to appreciate it and it can't be measured. Just like cars and Pepsi!

Maybe it's like quantum physics. It doesn't exist until you look at it.

Audio quality is not that hard to grasp. Does the reproduced signal transport you into another venue and with your eyes closed, could you really tell the difference?
How close to 'live reality' does your hi fi get you? Do you get excited with some music to the point of 'toe-tapping' or singing along? Can you do this when you are sober? Can you hear an 'electronic signature' that tells you it is not reality?
Do you get listening fatigue from something that should not be there in the reproduction? etc.

john, i believe in you but please submit an entire system as an example and that is not impossible to acquire or build . Show us a starting point to begin a discussion

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Audio quality is not that hard to grasp. Does the reproduced signal transport you into another venue and with your eyes closed, could you really tell the difference? How close to 'live reality' does your hi fi get you?
I've proposed those as important criteria for quality many times, but always get shot down on this forum. This is NOT what a lot of people define as high quality. In fact, it is often roundly rejected.

It's not true, at least not of everybody. Some of us are more discerning as to what moves us, even if we like the music. If you have never had this experience of being surprised with a sound system's quality and being pulled in to the listening experience, then you haven't experienced true high fidelity reproduction.
It is the same with autos, if you have only experienced inexpensive general production passenger cars, and have never driven in a sports car or very high level passenger car, you just don't know what you are missing. If you have tried the high performance stuff, but choose to ignore it, that's OK, but to deny the difference is disrespectful to other people's interests and aspirations.

Aww, I thought you were going to talk about engineering! If you want to describe circuits you like and explain why you like them, I for one am listening. If you want to compare and contrast a couple of circuits and explain how they differ and what the trade-offs are,vand how you might select one over the others I am all ears? Even if you say you prefer one topology over another for aesthetic reasons I can dig that. But to keep telling us that Porsches sound better than Kias doesn't add much to my understanding.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
What if --

High-end audio was really high-end. How would it be made ?

I used to try to make my own cars be better because I couldnt afford better..... let alone, best.

But what is the best quality and performance out there and can we approach same level in audio?

Today, I can afford to try something which others called thier high-end effort. The ZR1 was built to go racing but not as another prototype category car... made them in the Corvette factory and sold enough (of the engines primarily) to be a production car. But it is over the top design everywhere you look. No parts from any Corvette were used. I had the supercharger spun up higher and retuned the air-fuel maps etc. Drove a Lambo. The ZR1 was much better made, faster and quicker and better braks and suspension. The lambo was quick but not as quick. The ZR1 didnt have that kit car quality to it. AND, passes the lowest of cal smog and gets decent mpg as a finishing gesture of engineering prowess.

The Cadillac CTS-V used the same motor with different cam. Helped sell more of the race engines to get the numbers up for racing purposes. With the extra Recaro bucket seats ($$) and not the best interior materials, the car is amazing in performance. And with stiffer anti-roll bars and springs (1.5 inch shorter) and doing same to engine with pulley changes and retuning.... it is very quick and handles like a sports car. But then compare it to another over the top car, the Bentley and Bugatti. Super-car engines -W12 and W16. Nothing left to improve in materials, workmanship and engineering for performance. Over the top inside and out.

So what would happen if we build audio with the same attitude as these example creations? What would happen if each component part is the best, most perfect part, best in every way pcb and best topology and over the top performance as an integrated design? If there is a slight imperfection, reduce or eliminate it. If you do this diligence everywhere in audio, the total of all the improvements also adds up to something amazing.

THx-RNMarsh

maxresdefault.jpg

images.jpg

tboD2nc.jpg

Last edited:
I *have* to. The other critical bit is HLB, and there's art in both achieving a target HLB and the sorts of side chains and terminations on the polymer.

Mine was never so fancy. :) Mostly there to inhibit protein/non-specific binding from occurring on the walls of the test chamber. So if I could get the surfaces good and hydrophilic, (what would Whitesides do? :D), then I had achieved enough.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
So what would happen if we build audio with the same attitude as these example creations? What would happen if each component part is the best, most perfect part, best in every way pcb and best topology and over the top performance as an integrated design?

Maybe, just maybe, you would wind up with John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier.

Money lavished upon components. Money lavished upon infrastructure (chassis). Money lavished upon build technology (P2P). Money lavished everywhere money might conceivably make a difference. Even a small difference.

Is it not so, N'est-ce pas?

Status
Not open for further replies.