John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were way more natural sounding than my super tweaked DSP. I had wasted a few years of better listening just following a "technically superior" path.

If you are someone who believes DACs have a sound, and so you need the best one you can get, then if you use active DSP crossovers, you would need a good DAC for each analog output. That can get expensive in a hurry, particularly if tri-amping. Also, most DSP has a sound, at least judging by VST plugins. The very best real time EQs have almost no sound of their own, but they tend to be resource hogs. Here is some fairly informed discussion about whether or not up sampling is needed for DSP EQs: Topic: Upsampling... Again...? (1/1) - Forums--Digital Domain - Digital Domain: CD Mastering | Mastered for iTunes | Audio Mastering | Blu-Ray Mastering

Last edited:
Right on, Scott, in those days, we had "schools" of sound, relatively easily recognized.

Only one thing confuses me - that you call the "West Coast" sound a British kind of sound.

No idea how it goes these days.

Sorry you mis-understood I meant west coast exactly as you thought JBL et al distinct from the small B&W which had that British or we used to say BBC announcer sound.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
If you are someone who believes DACs have a sound, and so you need the best one you can get, then if you use active DSP crossovers, you would need a good DAC for each analog output. That can get expensive in a hurry, particularly if tri-amping. Also, most DSP has a sound, at least judging by VST plugins. The very best real time EQs have almost no sound of their own, but they tend to be resource hogs.

Quality DAC devices are not terribly expensive. DSP only has the sound you program into it. If you want output unaltered from the input data, that's what you get. Otherwise you hear the filters, or whatever, you have designed into the signal path. DSPs are cheap too, nowadays.

Quality DAC devices are not terribly expensive. DSP only has the sound you program into it. If you want output unaltered from the input data, that's what you get. Otherwise you hear the filters, or whatever, you have designed into the signal path. DSPs are cheap too, nowadays.

Quality and expense are relative things. If you want to tri-amp DSP crossovers using DAC-2s, it costs about $1k/output. So if you need 6 DAC outputs that would add up to about $6k. Cheap for some, expensive for others.

Also, if you want to do DSP crossovers, you can't avoid digital filters. Some sound different than others for various reasons, and not are all equally accurate, if accuracy if the goal.

I have not assumed it is significant. Yes, bi-wire is a nice step forward and cost effective improvement. What have you learned about bi-wiring?
However, Bi-amping with an excellent custom x-over to match, is an even further step forward. But not very cost effective.

I am still evaluating the M2 with dsp cross-over and bi-amped. It is sooooo F-ing good. And, I have QUAD ESL989 to compare (and several others). It is so much more Real sounding. Later, I will look into the Crown iT5000HD amps to locate the amp's input. Then come off that point to a pair of super-fine 2 channel analog amps. Thus, keeping the dsp cross-over. Then I will learn a thing or two.

[good thing I bought these when my lady was on vacation and could hide the expense. And, dont any of you guys tell her or she will stab me in the neck with a fork]

THx-RNMarsh

No need to ask for such a thing.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you are someone who believes DACs have a sound...
I'm on record here and elsewhere as saying that I DON'T believe that good DAC chips have a sound. It's the following circuitry that can add flavor. So I'm careful with that.

I just believe that the pursuit of fine detail, just because it's there (or you think it is) is just a "gear love" thing. Or it's a favoring of the trees over the forest. I've been there, been guilty of it plenty. But it's usually not natural to my ears.

I'm on record here and elsewhere as saying that I DON'T believe that good DAC chips have a sound. It's the following circuitry that can add flavor. So I'm careful with that.

There seems to be some evidence that both have some effect, but mostly it's the analog, as you say. Regarding DAC chips, Benchmark has some words about where they think the best DAC chip is less than optimal, and how they choose to address the issues: https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/inside-the-dac2-part-2-digital-processing

Regarding perception of detail, sometimes good sounding harmonic distortion (or good sounding clock jitter) can sound like it is more detailed than is actually contained in the original digital recording. Sometimes people think that extra apparent detail is really supposed to be there.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Fortunately, there are companies who competitively strive to make their DSP, etc better (and sometimes they end up with lower cost). At this point in time, with the computing power available, high accuracy, low cost, its a good time to jump into active x-over systems. besides the driver cross-over, EQ, time alignments et al can be done. Somethings a passive network isnt much help, realistically. But do plan your financial budget for about $10K USD by the time you are done. Then you will need really great drivers (very low distortion, high dynamic range, wide FR and flat power response, controlled directivity, etc). Maybe then your source/player needs upgrading. Practically no end to it. But it sure sounds great when all is at high calibre. Only thing left to do is try to find great recordings and enjoy the music. .

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Almost totally true. Except with some pop/rock recordings where the top end is goosed too much. Those need high cut of some kind or another.

A lot of those.... must be EQ'ed for listening in your car. Those I just never again listen to them. Dont miss them as there is a lot of recorded music that is at least listenable/passable. I just move on to the others'.

-RNM

Lets have more info... what have you measured with biwiring vs mono wiring? ?

THx-RNMarsh

The signal which is the difference is a zero integral signal. I suspect it is not viewable when the measurement tool is one that calculates signal power. I discussed this issue a bit with a rather good measurement physicist.

My intent was to put together a pair of IA's to subtract tweeter signals of a bi and mono set. Scott sent me chips I intended to use in my build/test, however the last two years have not been conducive to any hands on work.

John

random comment, I've yet to to witness a Tannoy speaker with "bass"... especially going back to the classic earlier designs... (I suppose they do have some studio monitors that made bass, but have not heard one). If they are known for bass, it's nothing I have ever heard of...

My K3838's 15" do plenty of bass. Did. Now in the slow lane for changing the surrounds.

A lot of those.... must be EQ'ed for listening in your car. Those I just never again listen to them. Dont miss them as there is a lot of recorded music that is at least listenable/passable. I just move on to the others'.

Robert, have you had a chance to listen to any of this overly-bright stuff on your new setup? Maybe it sounds smoother up there now? Might be an interesting test.

- Jim

Robert, have you had a chance to listen to any of this overly-bright stuff on your new setup? Maybe it sounds smoother up there now? Might be an interesting test.

- Jim
You are responding to Richard's post but using my name. SO if you mean me..... I have. It gets worse and better all at once. The shock of my life recently was to put on my mother's copy of Cheap Thrills (it survived my parents psychedelic fueled parties, somehow, in pretty good shape) on a tube-hybrid design of the LCRMKIII phono preamp I am developing. The top-end was hyper bright, in your face. I put on other stuff and the top end was fine. Very resolving but just fine. Most of the top-end on the goosed recordings can be mitigated with heavy cartridge loading. That acts like a HF cut tone control.

Last edited:

I just believe that the pursuit of fine detail, just because it's there (or you think it is) is just a "gear love" thing. Or it's a favoring of the trees over the forest. I've been there, been guilty of it plenty. But it's usually not natural to my ears.

Having just bought a DAC that permits the loading of three distinct FIR filters, I can say that IF a FIR filter is used, they impart a clear and distinctive sound. Period. The DAC chip itself might have nil sound, no way to tell, since you will have some sort of "filter", even NOS (No Over Sampling) is in effect a sort of "filter".

Back in the day, the I/V section and the buffer certainly made significant difference.

I've just acquired a DAC board that does Discrete R-2R and needs no output buffer (it has one if you like), presumably the only thing that will be heard is one of many FIR filters that can be downloaded into the 4 available slots and selected. We'll see in the coming weeks what that one does to confirm or deny my conjecture/suspicions.

At present I'm beginning to suspect that the "digital filtering" is the thing that has the primary responsibility for the sound of digital.

And, I'm thinking that this is why digital does not sound like "analog", despite having the better SNR and similarly much better dynamic range.

Of course, my advice is that if you do not yourself hear anything like what I (and others - whomever they be) are hearing in this respect that you do go and (seriously) get your hearing checked and consider (again seriously) upgrading your system by appropriate means (especially DIY).

Status
Not open for further replies.