John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you believe that people who write shouldn't get paid for their work, you're part of a distressingly growing group. Many think the same thing about musicians and artists as well.

I m musician and i think that there s people who are too much paid to make what is often rubbish music as there s writers that could write rubbish litterature as well..

To get back on topic of audibility of differences let say that from age 25 to 65 loss of sensitivity for men is 1dB/year at 8KHz, and 0.63dB/ year for women.

So so called golden ears are not even hearing the same thing from a year to the next one if not 5 months later since the threshold of level variation audibility is 0.5dB.

@ Jan.Didden,

just from the website it is indeed not so apparent, that the user will download an article about an experiment done with software and that the screenshot is probably just an illustration from that article... . :)

It´s always surprising what people might think although oneself would never consider something similar....

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Go right ahead.
What did he find?

I presume you know about D.E.L. Shorter - a fellow countryman, years before Geddes??

And, btw, Billy, do you think that I need you to tell me what this site is about?
Let's see, you arrived here when? I arrived here when? I may have some clue.

PMSL. You have been on the forum longer than me so you know more? Is that how it works? Chortle.

Waly, suppose that some percentage of participants is truly Golden Eared. Then the remainder will show random results. So in aggregate, the group will than show a positive result, which can be analyzed for significance.

Actually it´s the other way round. If only one (or few) participants are true observers while all the others are only guessing (under the conditions of the test) then adding more and more guessing listeners will ensure that the null hypothesis will be retained.
That "trick" was used in Fremer´s amplifier challenge at the AES convention.

Yes, increasing the number of trials can get you more certainty.

Increasing the number of trials will help if the true parameter of the underlying population (for the specific test conditions) is close to the number taken for the null hypothesis. Increasing the number of trials will then raise the power of the test.

Waly, suppose that some percentage of participants is truly Golden Eared. Then the remainder will show random results. So in aggregate, the group will than show a positive result, which can be analyzed for significance.

Yes, increasing the number of trials can get you more certainty.

And you are assuming a certain format, suitable for answering some questions but not others. It's a distressingly common error to try to have a one size fits all approach- the first rule of good experiments is to define the question being asked, then design the experiment to answer that specific question. You may not be intending to do that, but some people very strongly advocate a Procrustean approach.

Yes, this is valid only for a certain type of test. You are correct about the supposed GE crowd skewing the initial result, however I did not assume such a crowd was necessary part of the test. Just regular people randomly selected, result is 50-50 (null) then JC or bear or jakob2 are jumping in and claiming you ignored the 50% positives which may hide some truth (that SOME people can truly hear the desired outcome). You separate those 50%, repeat the test and you got a 50-50 null again. If so, you just quartered the probability that the original null was "biased toward null" or that the result was anything but a true statistical null.

Kind of a "positive control" that I am trying to find a practical example of. Reduces the probability that some statistically significant result is hidden by an (e.g.) odd distribution (non-Gaussian) property, in the population under test.

I just did a confirm on the Foobar ABX test.....it really is a total POS.
The difference between when a track is played in the player or the ABX utility is astounding.
A blind man would not be able to tell shite from clay when using this piece of smeg.
All Foobar ABX test results are invalid.

Dan.

Last edited:
PMSL. You have been on the forum longer than me so you know more? Is that how it works? Chortle.

When are you going to make a contribution that is more than sniping?
Something with information or content?

You were preaching to me, not the other way around.
And, btw, perhaps you need to get away from your computer, and out more often...

I know, post an image of your "system"?
Or maybe an electronic/audio bit you've built?
Give urself some gravitas.

_-_-

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I just did a confirm on the Foobar ABX test.....it really is a total POS.
The difference between when a track is played in the player or the ABX utility is astounding.
A blind man would not be able to tell shite from clay when using this piece of smeg.
All Foobar ABX test results are invalid.

Dan.

I'm confused. The Foobar ABX test doesn't reroute the audio, just randomize the playback. Are you saying Foobar sounds bad? (personally I don't like the interface but to my knowledge the underlying playback software is sound.)

And... I looked at your stats, billshurv. 7,000 posts since you joined.
Average 7+ posts per day.
Most in the "Lounge".
Unless they are in this thread.
Most disparaging some thing or another, at least that is what a fast pass seemed to say.

You have Apogee Centaurs as your speakers - at least you did.
And, you spin vinyl. Many posts in that area.

Interesting...

In contrast I've made a bit more than 6,000 posts since 2002.
Average about 1.3 per day.

While I do own bigger and better Apogee speakers than you have, I consider them to be around for yuks and fun, since they're incredibly colored and flawed... someone else probably owns even BIGGER Apogees, I know. Someone will doubtless be insulted about these speakers, and also will be of the opinion that they are not colored or flawed...

<sigh>

......And, btw, perhaps you need to get away from your computer, and out more often...
end of the internet.png

Bear it seems you are asking the impossible in my eyes. There is no perfect reproduction method that exists today, so to say you can set a standard by which perfection and a so called Blameless system can be assembled from individual components seems to be fairy dust. Since there are no perfect speakers that don't color in some sense the sound of every system how can you determine the blameless electronics specifications that will work with random speaker systems.

I don't work on the electronics side of the equation, I only have skills on the mechanical speaker side, the rest I have to leave to others judgement that I respect. I do understand on a general basis what is being done but can't comment on the minutia of the difference in one type of resistor vs another, I can't go there.

But I will say since we have no agreement on the simple fact of the best type of reproducer to use whether point source or omnidirectional or even planar how can you expect there to be a blameless standard for electronic components. There are in my eyes no golden ears, there are some who are better trained to hear specific things but to say someone has calibrated hearing is just to far from the truth.

I know far to many musicians who you would think would have the training and would have the pitch and tonal discrimination who could care less about how good a system sounds as long as they get a certain visceral feeling when listening to music.

Your questions are impossible to answer in the absolute, there is no there there.

Sorry Sy,
I took the bait.

I'm confused. The Foobar ABX test doesn't reroute the audio, just randomize the playback.

Me too, maybe get the developers to confirm there is only one path to the hardware? I would expect the ABX plug-in has no code involving the actual audio data.

Max - I don't see the "you are deaf or a liar" arguments doing any good for your cause. Does anyone else here share that extreme view?

I'm confused. The Foobar ABX test doesn't reroute the audio, just randomize the playback. Are you saying Foobar sounds bad? (personally I don't like the interface but to my knowledge the underlying playback software is sound.)
I'm saying that I can load a track twice into the Foobar playlist.
I can then assign those two copies into the ABX plugin.
The tracks played directly from the playlist sound fine.
The tracks played from the ABX plugin sound bad, really bad in comparison.
I picked up on this a while back, and confirmed it just now.
Something is really wrong with the software.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.