John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
That much EQ on the top end??
Shades of Bose 901s...

How do they keep the distortion low??

_-_-

Bose EQ's the top and low because it's just a bunch of 3 or 4 inch drivers in the 901's.

You know that their other systems chop up the signal at a high frequency in order to make it sound like it's filling the room? At first the bass sounds big, but then you notice nothing is shaking or vibrating at all...

Bose EQ's the top and low because it's just a bunch of 3 or 4 inch drivers in the 901's.

You know that their other systems chop up the signal at a high frequency in order to make it sound like it's filling the room? At first the bass sounds big, but then you notice nothing is shaking or vibrating at all...
"No highs, no lows, that's Bose".

Dan.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Most gave up on the Horn forumlas quite some time ago.... The work now is on wave guide theory. This M2 wave guide appears (my guess) to be designed first and formost to give constant directivity... let the FR fall where it may and correct the FR later with DSP.

I just did a quick check on the FR around the room with RTA using pink noise... close to speakers and far away and in between.... the narrow dispersion and flat power response works very well... the response doesnt change hardly at all in FR around the listening area.

because of this, I am also not hearing nearly as much room effects/coloration on the sound.... technical term is ... mush. Much clearer sound.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Much improved horns are possible now using iterative models and true (spherical section) wavefronts. Previous flat wavefront models were never even a decent approximation. Good info here on DIYaudio by looking at the work of Jean Michel LeCleac'h. My father did the same thing at the same time, way before the internet.

All good fortune,
Chris

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Please, you're asking the most ridiculous thing. No, that's a question as if I couldn't even tell you what direction electrons flow.

Horns prevent the muddling of the music from interaction with the room. Non-horn speakers do not. So if the electronics don't put out a high quality distinct signal because they're low noise, then without horns you have muddled music getting muddled more.

It's not overly complicated. But I've found with a lot of treatment for noise within and before the electronics gives such more district sound that room-treatment and type of speakers becomes less of concern. It's still beneficial, but perhaps not necessary as some would say. Obviously speaker enclosure plays a big factor, since ones that vibrate a lot are just as bad for the music's definition.

Well you talked about electronic noise being different with horns. That's what I didn't understand.

I now understand you paddle back on that and now talk about a difference in directivity between horns and cone speakers, which is of course a no-brainer.

So you still confuse electronic noise with acoustics, reflections and room influence. The two have nothing to do with each other.
Acoustic issues cause linear distortions, electronics (assuming the amp has a flat freq response) cause non-linear distortions.

I just wish you would be clear in your posts and then stand by them.

Jan

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Please, you're asking the most ridiculous thing. No, that's a question as if I couldn't even tell you what direction electrons flow.

Horns prevent the muddling of the music from interaction with the room. Non-horn speakers do not. So if the electronics don't put out a high quality distinct signal because they're low noise, then without horns you have muddled music getting muddled more.

It's not overly complicated. But I've found with a lot of treatment for noise within and before the electronics gives such more district sound that room-treatment and type of speakers becomes less of concern. It's still beneficial, but perhaps not necessary as some would say. Obviously speaker enclosure plays a big factor, since ones that vibrate a lot are just as bad for the music's definition.

CH says ferrites, even on the mains side, can destroy the sound - are you using iron core inductors? Be careful on this point. Further, maple cable lifters will reduce common mode coupling between the cables and the floor. Failure to do this causes broadband standing waves and that of course can also result in muddled sound from non horn speakers. Alternatively, you can just go for book shelf ones and hang the cables over the drapes.

More L8r ;)

Not seen evidence of these golden ears you speak of no.

Ok, but that isn´t an answer to my questions. Could you be so nice?

<snip>
Yes please. It is your claim so you should back it up.

See for example:

Blech, Yang; DVD-Audio versus SACD: Perceptual Discrimination of Digital Audio Coding Formats; AES Convention Paper No. 6086

The AES-Paper was based on their Diploma-Thesis at the University of Detmold (Hochschule fuer Musik Detmold).

110 participants did 145 tests (each consisting of 20 trials) with various music samples. 3 listeners got 17/18/20 successes.

Status
Not open for further replies.