John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Sprinkle, I am told, has some efficacious software he developed with remarkably good predictive power. I suspect it will be a long time before it is public domain.

It's a nice setup to have good chamber access and good software.

And I don't think he wears a lab coat or carries a clipboard.

But can we agree novelty on the horn implementation? Or do you think they have been building to this shape for some time. I had assumed that was the key special sauce in this beasty?

Yes the horn is new. And they really did patent something worthwhile.

Bose beat them on molding round edged port flares to reduce chuffing noise. Of course Community Loudspeakers was one of if not the first to do that. They were among the first to mold horns from fiberglass and rounding the edges was normal. Not to mention the folks who made wood boxes with routed round tapers. Having read some Bose patents they are very well written.

I suspect the correct issue would have been rounding the part of the port inside the box.

But loosing that one for millions really ticked the Harman high and mighty off of patents.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Next week, I'm shipping the ESL speakers off to Bangkok. The M2 gets some acoustic tests and measurements as well... to gauge the in-room performance. And, see how well the wave-guides are dong their job to minimize reflections from nearby surfaces.

While waiting for the high SR, CFA, ultra-low distortion analog amps.... I picked up a pair of refurbished Digital amps that are normally mated to these speakers. The Crown iT5000HD. They include a very flexible and powerful DSP inside for all sorts of uses/purposes. Way more than what I need it to do.... I downloaded the M2 x-over/EQ files and ported it thru the amps USB. Bingo...music. I can learn something about high power digital amps and how clean they are in terms of EMI/RFI and power line noise while I am waiting for the analog power amps.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
BTW -- JC often talks about the individual harmonics created by an amplifier. There are a lot of interesting tests one can do just by obtaining Test CD's. An old Stereophile test CD #2 has some tests for listening to various levels of certain harmonics.
If you do not have time nor test equipment, this CD can be helpful.

Chesky (Vol 3) has more interesting tests to listen to for comparisons.... such as, Dirty vs Clean power -- using a violin recorded with Clean and with Dirty power.

Ask me what it was like playing Led Zep's "Whole Lotta Love" at alive level with the M2's.
Lisa just said "Damn !! "

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
When my horn-loving friends razz me for being prejudiced against the genre after me hearing dozens of examples of, "Oh, those other ones suck, THESE are the ones you'll love!" which reliably disappointed, they often like to point out that I haven't heard any horns under blind conditions and it could just be my biases making me fool myself, and... they're absolutely correct.:D

Some good DIY engineering here and given that they measure well, I suspect you might like them even unblinded:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...lti-way-point-source-horn-25.html#post4644522

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The horn seems to use a sort of chaotic diffraction concept combined with classic horn theory. I don't think it isn't something that hasn't been thought of before but they did commercialize the concept and make it work. The dual diaphragm compression is a ripoff of others designs, no question that was something they were purchasing from others before they came out with their own version.

I had read about the CD being a copy with enough mods to get around the patent, but IMO getting the modelling software to work so that you can get actually get the performance you need is worthy of a patent.

billshurv,
You really have two things that are going on here. One is the compression driver that I think is a copy of a BMS or someone like that's driver development, not that hard to make 10% changes to get around a patent claim and make your own claims. The other is the dispersion pattern from the horn which as I said I think I discussed with Earl Geddes and works with a chaotic diffraction effect in the throat section. The flare rate can still be a common exponential expansion with that shape change or whatever they chose. What I haven't seen is the actual non-corrected response curve of the combination, just driver and horn without a network attached.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I think we are in agreement on this. The theory is well known on the horn but needs very clever modelling software to get the profile required to get performance.

From a purely cerebral consideration I prefer Earl's solution to the problem, but sadly cannot afford any of them at the moment.

I'm beginning to think horns are used more often to circumvent excess noise on the electronics side... than they're necessary to fulfil imaging in a room without piles of treatment.

To me their true value is that you can have an extensively more linear driver, which inherently will have a linear response that's at an incline in respect to frequency. The horn normalizes the response issue. (multiple horns and drivers will probably be needed for the full spectrum of frequencies)

Using them for directivity, as said above, seems oriented more toward a bonus for the deficiencies of electronics. At least that's the opinion I've been forming.

Last edited:
Define "problem", Bill. If it just has to make noise, then horns aren't necessary either. The goal is for it to be good, at least, that's the common idea. I've found no end to noise reduction benefits, so long as they don't pinch current.

For example I'm using two 470uh inductors on my amplifiers AC power on the primary side of the transformer, right now. It was a noticeable improvement. It's a low power amp.

Really? In which sense? I thought that the fact that horns generally have (much) higher sensitivity than closed or vented boxes, they need much quieter electronics to prevent audible noise.

Jan

Quiet for artifacts, not for noise that deteriorates the music. One is heard with nothing playing (and a big problem for sensitive speakers) the other is reflected in how the music sounds. Sometimes they're the same, but not often. For my 470uh example, it didn't change the faint noise I can hear with my head to the speaker of a bit of pink/white type noise (artifact), but when the music is playing it's clearly different sounding.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Quiet for artifacts, not for noise that deteriorates the music. One is heard with nothing playing (and a big problem for sensitive speakers) the other is reflected in how the music sounds. Sometimes they're the same, but not often. For my 470uh example, it didn't change the faint noise I can hear with my head to the speaker of a bit of pink/white type noise (artifact), but when the music is playing it's clearly different sounding.

So are you saying that non-horn speakers somehow cause electronic noise that horns do not?
I guess you are not talking about the masking effect of music which is independent of the speaker type, or are you?
I mean, with music playing, all noise is less audible than without anything playing of course.
Can you explain a bit more?

Jan

Joined 2002
Paid Member

Attachments

• M2 no filters.PNG
    M2 no filters.PNG
    192.8 KB · Views: 178
Any horn with sharp discontinuities in flare rate is flawed by the resulting reflections. There can't be any magic fix for it if it's within the passband.

All good fortune,
Chris

You mean like with this tweeter

H1499-06 27TBCD/GB-DXT

Which is good enough to be used by Bruno in his Kii. It is much like the kind of kinked horn as used in the large JBL, just round instead of square. This apparently aids with directivity control, but I unfortunately do not know the theory behind it. EV has also used kinked horns.

So, I don't understand the intricacies of this design. But, it appears to be very good in controlling directivity, at the cost of some FR compensation that is required (at least for the DXT-tweeter). That is clever engineering. Making electronic corrections has become cheap, so that creates an extra degree of freedom in loudspeaker design.

Status
Not open for further replies.