John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given our respective ages, 'gadfly maggot' would be a more appropriate salutation.

The wine is clearly for the fly's dinner, old Cotes du Rhone with shrimp really?

Attachments

• bkfly.jpg
    bkfly.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 218
Disabled Account
Joined 2012

Get a grip on yourself, Waly. Doing another drive-by assassination attempt.... wild speculation and jumping to conclusions, as per usual.

Bonsai is correct. You are not. The amplifier was tested and reported using that very same prototype and pcb that Damir designed and built. It does measure as expected. Also the CFA is very stable into various loads including ESL speakers.

THx-RNMarsh

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
The wine is clearly for the fly's dinner, old Cotes du Rhone with shrimp really?
I seem to recall that Kliban had a much poorer year listed on earlier versions of that cartoon, could have been a '58. The book it was in dates back quite a while, as I recall I was still at UCLA, which places it before 1985. I have it somewhere in storage. I think it is either Whack Your Porcupine (1977) or Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head (1976).

And yes, a rather poor food-wine pairing regardless of the year or age.

Bonsai is correct. You are not. The amplifier was tested and reported using that very same prototype and pcb that Damir designed and built. It does measure as expected. Also the CFA is very stable into various loads including ESL speakers.

We may have a different understanding of "finished". If you want to consider measurements at "1W and 10W" (see the quoted post above, written by your very own hand) output levels as relevant for such a finished amp, then so be it. But when measuring the cased amp, you will note a quickly rising distortions due to the magnetic field coupling of the output coil on the PCB, even worse @ 4ohm.

You'd better take Dadod's advice and use the secondary output to connect the output coil close to the speaker connector, placed perpendicular to any signal line that may be in the proximity (if you can't properly screen it), and use a short return wire to the supply ground.

Or you may chose to do nothing and live in your CFA dream land forever after you write the check for the amp construction.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Or you may chose to do nothing and live in your CFA dream land forever after you write the check for the amp construction.

You must live by your assumptions. Who, besides you, would think it hasnt been tested at full power? Thanks for the advice but we are doing fine. Its going to be alright. Don't worry. Feng Shui Master has it all under his control.

:D

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Such a trivia meister, '58 would have definitely been **** for the fly. I have friends with the original though I doubt they could lay their hands on it without much effort.
I am at the point where I just buy another copy of a book I can't readily locate. And this is even after getting about seven thousand of them into a database.

The last one thus was Graeme, Amplifier Applications of Op Amps. Usually once the second copy shows up I find the one I knew I had, but not yet in that case.

I am going to leave such a mess when I pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.