John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Well, >100 dB ref full output is achievable. What I don't think you get is 90 dB (say) at 1 W output (~2.8 V into 8 ohms) and then your full entitlement at full output (say 60 V out) of >120 dB because ripple shoots up, IR issues in the ground wiring arise etc. Once you start delivering power into the load, life gets a bit more difficult.

(time for AFEC :D)

yes,all true. for home music, as my qualifier, (not stadium sound systems), typical average power output is much lower than full power and I would use that lower number (1-10W/8) for these comparisons.

That number - 100 - keeps coming up. I use it for THD, S/N, dynamic range, psr -- if all better than 100 you are good to go. But it can be less and still very satisfactory.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Re how far to go with this thing. You have to be pragmatic here. If you have an amp that has 1% distortion and an S/N of 60 dB, why would to build a super low noise, high reg PSU - the benefit is completely swamped by amplifier issues. Ditto the reverse situation. Indeed you do have to look at this from the systems level so, that's why my guidance is as described in my earlier post.

Nope. Any amp like that will sound better with a low noise PSU. Distortion generated by the amp doesn't sound the same as noise from PSU/AC. And hearing a little noise with your ear to the speaker says about nothing of how the music will sound.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Going off at a tangent for a second.

Warren TenBrook's Summary of Head Measurements at Harman | InnerFidelity

Data is still being analysed but some really interesting stuff regarding headphone target curves based off measurements in the Harman reference room. Yet none of the modern headphone amps have key adjustments to get this right. It seems accepted that you do it in the digital domain...

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nope. Any amp like that will sound better with a low noise PSU. Distortion generated by the amp doesn't sound the same as noise from PSU/AC. And hearing a little noise with your ear to the speaker says about nothing of how the music will sound.

Where did you pull this from, man?

So you can discriminate, with your ears, between distortion and PSU artifacts greater than 90 dB down ref 1 W out or 100 W?

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hmm aren't we in danger of going down the rabbit hole of noise you can hear in an otherwise silent room late at night with your ear near the speaker vs noise that you can hear below ppp passages in music? Whilst I hate the hearing noise gates coming in and out on older studio recordings having silly low noise floor in domestic environment doesn't seem to be worth chasing?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Yes, that darned engineering approach. How silly of me. And the answer is 18.36 inches.

OK. Are you done with that useless diatribe? [no further useless knee-jerk diatribe response is needed, thank you]

This whole question came about during the VFA vs CFA discussion about what are the differences. It was pointed out how 'inferior' the psrr is of the CFA compared to VFA (high gnfb). As JC and myself and others have noted more than once, it doesnt really matter a lot if you have super high PSRR. You can get the desired end result several ways.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
On the flipside, there's absolutely nothing magical about a CFA as the output stage largely limits your capabilities regardless. You know, there's several ways to a desired end result.

yes, as we all discovered... mostly recently thru SIM. However, there is the actual CFA operating mode that wasnt (still?) fully understood. But, all in all it is what we need, audibly, that we can design to.

THx-RNMarsh

Where did you pull this from, man?

So you can discriminate, with your ears, between distortion and PSU artifacts greater than 90 dB down ref 1 W out or 100 W?

Artefacts are rare, very, even among barely half-way well engineered equipment.

The effect of noise on the sound however is not. You don't hear PSU noise (generally) unless something is broken, but you hear the affect it has on the music.

It's not hard to tell. Filter power in anyway before it makes it to a 1% distortion, 90db s/n, amplification section and you'll notice it changes.

OK. Are you done with that useless diatribe? [no further useless knee-jerk diatribe response is needed, thank you]

This whole question came about during the VFA vs CFA discussion about what are the differences. It was pointed out how 'inferior' the psrr is of the CFA compared to VFA (high gnfb). As JC and myself and others have noted more than once, it doesnt really matter a lot if you have super high PSRR. You can get the desired end result several ways.

And I was naively wondering where is this urge for an "audible" PSRR number coming from. Now I get it, it's coming from the same advent of excusing your pet basic amplifier topology for any poor performance metric.

Status
Not open for further replies.