John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
That the inventors of these honestly performing tweak products give junk explanations and claims, is of no consequence actually.

Yes, it is of consequence. Junk explanations normally equals junk products.
An honest "this seems to work but I don't know why, exactly" - is different.

And subjectivity is fine, but as it is based on the individual, it's only function is to compare views - fine for a pleasant chat - or to try and determine an objectively verifiable cause for the subjective find.

Remember, sometimes, you may not know what to measure

And?
Not involving in diy audio gears?

Or we need to belive in some miracle.
Or, "open mind" in audio mean "unleashed imagination".

??

But, solution is to buy all esoteric thing to improve fantasy of sound..
Overpriced gadget can trigger brain in some direction...self healing, beliving..

But, aside, it is more important to avoid mistakes in measurements.
If we have holes in knowledge, it is necessary to fill it with correct informations.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
And?
Not involving in diy audio gears?

Or we need to belive in some miracle.
Or, "open mind" in audio mean "unleashed imagination".

??

But, solution is to buy all esoteric thing to improve fantasy of sound..
Overpriced gadget can trigger brain in some direction...self healing, beliving..

But, aside, it is more important to avoid mistakes in measurements.
If we have holes in knowledge, it is necessary to fill it with correct informations.

Clearly you don't understand the point I was trying to make, despite the fact that it was not too subtle.

Let me explain it by way of a question:-

If you think you can hear a difference, what measurement do you do to verify that you can hear a difference?

Apsolutely!
I can not hear most of details, but I can imagine some specification for diy gear.

Or simply demands for some details, clean signal, low(or high) distorsion, and whatever, and feel satisfaction when I got the point. Or some reasonable limitations..
Creative satisfaction.

But, I could not to fly on the wing of imagination, solving problems with magic wood, crystals, "sonic" main cables or "noisy" grounding.
Or to imagine some space radiation which destroy my perfect "air" or saturate briliant signal..

P.S.
I am one of the "old farts", close to 60, without smartphone..:)
At last, I have smart measuring gears...:)

Last edited:
Apsolutely!
I can not hear most of details, but I can imagine some specification for diy gear.

Or simply demands for some details, clean signal, low(or high) distorsion, and whatever, and feel satisfaction when I got the point. Or some reasonable limitations..
Creative satisfaction.

But, I could not to fly on the wing of imagination, solving problems with magic wood, crystals, "sonic" main cables or "noisy" grounding.
Or to imagine some space radiation which destroy my perfect "air" or saturate briliant signal..

P.S.

Wooosh....

Marce, we all understand and respect that you are expert in your area.
The vibe that I detect from JC is never negative towards others, and indeed I interpret his inputs as overwhelmingly positive and borne of long and interesting experience....old school experience that we can all learn from.
As for his supporting 'odd' ideas, he is just expressing his trust in his own ears.
Marce, JC has been involved in audio for far too long to be easily fooled.

Dan.

Try reading some with an open mind...
Anyway I am sick of JCs sycophants getting at me nipping my legs every time I comment, so as they say F*** this I have more important things to worry about in life... have fun.

At the risk of starting some negative vibes, I have some questions to ponder.

First If I have a load of 50 mA at 18 VDC and my raw power supply voltage is 40 VDC does a linear regulator have the noise behavior of a 440 ohm resistor?

Second question, does a 5 x 20 mm fuse sound the same as a 3AG of the same voltage and current rating?

Last edited:
Try reading some with an open mind...
Anyway I am sick of JCs sycophants getting at me nipping my legs every time I comment, so as they say F*** this I have more important things to worry about in life... have fun.

Actually JC is a barroom brawler and I see no reason to encourage the resulting fights. There is lots of room to disagree without mentioning his many many faults or baiting him.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Apsolutely!

Creative satisfaction.

P.S.

Ahh - I am also an old fart :)

Status
Not open for further replies.