John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I never said I had a problem with performance cars. But mine weighted about 1/3 as much as a corvette so needed a lot less power. I do have a problem with people who think that electronics means that can forego advanced driver training and drive like a c*nt expecting the car to save them. But luckily no one here fits that and those idiots can all be seen on the youtube videos.

I am not sure anyone is judging anyone other than you judging all of us?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
But luckily no one here fits that and those idiots can all be seen on the youtube videos.

I am not sure anyone is judging anyone other than you judging all of us?

I have talked only about high-perf cars. You and others here brought up drivers of high-perf cars. Not the same thing IMO.

The pursuit of high performance... anything... has much the same qualities.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I think I'll keep the passat running...See if I can get it to half a million km before it dies.

Wife wants a Phaeton, which is basically the Mycroft to the Bentley's Sherlock. luckily they lose value like almost nothing else so are cheap at 6-8 years old.

Foolish. Hope you like paying $200-1000 for an oil change. Volkswagen's are unreliable and you want to purchase yesterday's used version of high luxury? Bentley's are probably worse, given they're nothing more than a dressed up BMW 7; rated as the worst car to buy used and know to spend 1/4 of its service life in the shop.

This discussion of performance cars surely shows me the fundamental makeup of many here. You lived a different life, perhaps prep school, parental control, suppressed social opportunities, MIT, and now judging the loves and successes of others, who grew up differently with fast cars, fast women, and pushing the envelope when we were young.
In each instance there are advantages and disadvantages, but both life approaches can achieve world class goals. For example, the advantage of the prep school life is an easier time with college. But the advantage of the fast life is the thrill of the chase, the social advantages with the opposite sex, and how to work on and improve your own car, for example.
Any hobby, including sampling fine wine, or racing cars should be accepted as OK, just like I accept people who have excessive interest in watching sports or playing golf. I might not do it much, but I don't criticize others putting their time and money into 'wasteful' activities, similar to my making very fast amplifiers. '-)

If you're still alive by the time anyone knows who I am... I'm saving photos of where I started. My partner in crime is as well.

To think people here talk about cars worth more money than I've made in my whole life, and they think the AD797 is expensive when my only thought is.... who gives a **** use it if it's the right one it's cheap compared to other parts even if it's more than most OPAMPs (really not worth talking about)...

It's all relative, OS. We might be comparing the price of cookies. IF a cookie cost $10, when other comparable cookies cost $1, one might question whether excessive profits were involved. Same with IC's, or cars. Or one might not criticize others when their own company applies the same criteria for costing.

Your analogy might work except for the fact that there are literally hundreds (maybe thousands?) of op-amps priced higher than AD797.

No one is criticizing price or profit margin. They are criticizing items that are priced high but don't have the performance to match. If you paid for a 911 Carrera S over a base 911 and you didn't get any extra horsepower, you'd probably be upset.

Last edited:
Your analogy might work except for the fact that there are literally hundreds (maybe thousands?) of op-amps priced higher than AD797.

No one is criticizing price or profit margin. They are criticizing items that are priced high but don't have the performance to match. If you paid for a 911 Carrera S over a base 911 and you didn't get any extra horsepower, you'd probably be upset.

Not necessarily so. Power is nice, but power without corresponding road holding and manoeverability is useless and furthermore very dangerous.

So, improvement of oe model over another may well lie in its road holding, slip differential and possibly four wheel drive, aimed at enabling the available power to be more liberally used.

About the same could be said for traction. There eventually comes a point when you have so much power that no TWO tires can efficiently transfer it to the road, when the only way out is to use full four wheel drive, thus doubling the transfer points. Well known problems, well known solutions, the people at Bentley are no fools, that thing wieghs in at 1,900 kilos at best, that kind of mass has high inertia so toget it moving from standstill to say 62 mph needs a lot of power which has to be traferred to the wheels with as little loss as possible.

As for driver capability, unfortunately driving prowess does not come with the price tag.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Foolish. Hope you like paying $200-1000 for an oil change. Volkswagen's are unreliable and you want to purchase yesterday's used version of high luxury? Bentley's are probably worse, given they're nothing more than a dressed up BMW 7; rated as the worst car to buy used and know to spend 1/4 of its service life in the shop.

Well my Volkswagen has done over quarter of a million miles. Still on original clutch. So I would say very reliable.

The Bentley is a VAG car, based on the Phaeton floor plan. BMW own rolls royce. If you are going to diss cars at least do 10 seconds research on it.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
. Well known problems, well known solutions, the people at Bentley are no fools, that thing wieghs in at 1,900 kilos at best, that kind of mass has high inertia so toget it moving from standstill to say 62 mph needs a lot of power which has to be traferred to the wheels with as little loss as possible.

As for driver capability, unfortunately driving prowess does not come with the price tag.

The problem with the Phaeton/Bentley platform is that it is front engined, unlike say an Aston Martin. The whole engine is in front of the front axle, meaning you are driving a pendulum. Half of the need for 4WD is get it round corners as it just wants to understeer. However the packaging does mean that you get lots of room inside. My Passat is the same, although only FWD. I accept the compromise as I need to cart kids and their stuff around.

A 50/50 weight distribution car is a pleasure to drive. but other compromises must be made.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I never said I had a problem with performance cars. But mine weighted about 1/3 as much as a corvette so needed a lot less power. I do have a problem with people who think that electronics means that can forego advanced driver training and drive like a c*nt expecting the car to save them. But luckily no one here fits that and those idiots can all be seen on the youtube videos.

Very true.... A Caterham is very quick in the right hands, great power / weight ratio! Supercars can be driven safely on the road, it's the dangerous idiots who use roads as racteracks that can be the problem. Knowing when to use the power as well as how is an important part of advanced training... Fortunately most owners only play and learn like that on track days, which can be a lot of fun.
There's a place around here with a full 3D motion vehicle simulator you can rent time of -- only £40 per hour. Great for learning on!

Status
Not open for further replies.