John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Looking forward to it.
Yes, glad to hear. I have to catch up on the last couple of issues as well.

My one experiment paralleling relatively loose-matched 862s was fairly successful. I made a stack of them and soldered bus wire along the lineup of leads, in hopes of minimizing inductance and to act as a heat conductor/dissipator. A simple amplifier constructed thus was free from VHF oscillations without ferrites etc. The noise was inconveniently low to reliably measure.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Please enlighten me on this technique to throw away information and make the result better than the uncompressed bit perfect data.

Speaking of loss of information someone other than TCM is showing "Barbarella" right now. :(

Next time you wave,
please use all your fingers.

I would not assume that will be what is happening. It would not get such a review and comment R.H. gave it if that was going on. I certainly wouldnt.
The IEEE paper I put up points to the future...

There is only the opening scene that shows anything....... pretty breasts..... you will be wasting your time waiting to see more... there isnt any more to see..

-RNM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
A two opamp direct coupled composite amp (with loading) using 2ea

LM7171's. 2v rms

DSC02227.JPG

5KHz THD, dc offset, etc didnt change from +/-15 to +/-24vdc.

The thd starts to rise slightly at +/- 28vdc...... from -123 to -110db.

opamp 28vdc.JPG

... more later...

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
You can store uncompressed formats directly, bit perfect, especially you why bother with less?

Just joking on "Barbarella" (you are wrong BTW) I have seen it many times including in the 60's. In fact I screened it at MIT on first release, got the nerds bouncing.

I must have seen the 'edited' version more recently. what did i miss?

I am not interested in any compressed formats.

THx-RNMarsh

I must have seen the 'edited' version more recently. what did i miss?
I am not interested in any compressed formats.
THx-RNMarsh

So you have uncompressed hi-res audio what "enhancement" is necessary? Other than adding DRM what is MQA all about other than another lower than max necessary bit rate system? You can slice it anyway you want but Shannon wins, if it's less than the entropy it's lossy. Possibly you were fooled at first like I was there is no lossless compression that beats the Shannon limit. FLAC et al get close but are not perfect OTOH the room for improvement is limited.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
If what they have done is losslessly encoded in a more compact way.... smaller file size can be streamed with master quality. But streaming isnt a big concern to me but would be nice to have as replacement for FM. Otherwise, I am OK with large files size of HD downloads for storage and playback.

Meridian Audio?s MQA technology is the best product at CES so far | TechHive

If the two are equivalent in performance, then I do understand the reason why it is liked so much..... close to the master's sound is very dramatic improvement over typical CD.

I am thinking there is more to it......

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
So you have uncompressed hi-res audio what "enhancement" is necessary? Other than adding DRM what is MQA all about other than another lower than max necessary bit rate system? You can slice it anyway you want but Shannon wins, if it's less than the entropy it's lossy. Possibly you were fooled at first like I was there is no lossless compression that beats the Shannon limit. FLAC et al get close but are not perfect OTOH the room for improvement is limited.

Looks like certain contributors here are challenging the physics boundaries only to get free lessons, without being eventually required to admit their own ignorance. Much better than facing the risk of asking direct questions, that could shatter their guru status.

Status
Not open for further replies.