John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Richard that jitter is probably the biggest contributor to CD problems in recent years. We don't have much control over commercial recordings, and they probably take every short-cut possible, but there are hi end companies who take great care with their high definition mastering as well as their studio recording equipment, and this is often the source of quality hi res recordings. Here is where the 'better' sound systems can show their stuff.

Good thing you're the amp guy :p

Never seen a breaker that doesn't use one frame for all ratings so they take whatever fits.

That may or may not be correct. Just a caution..

I looked at mine they say Al-Cu and come with a data sheet that tells which panels they fit and 1 phase 3 wire 120/240V 10KA interrupt.

Does the data sheet indicate which brand the breakers are approved for? I was surprised to find that sometimes, even if the breaker fits, it may not be approved for use.

No issue with the bonding, there are terminals on the rack and each piece of gear is rated.
I didn't say there was. Only why a code inspector might be interested in looking under the hood.

No the guy worked in the trades and knew the 40% rule from pulling runs. I did cite chapter and verse. The current code has a nice bit about heating and fill and 40% as a guideline.
What is current code? 2014, 2011, or 2008? States typically take 3 years to adopt new. I can see you running into issues depending on the install location.

You really should reread section 1 where it describes where the code comes into play. There are lots of exemptions for my kind of stuff.
Coming across with such a poor attitude like that is probably why the guy gave you problems. You just told me that I don't know what I'm talking about and I should go back and study the subject because you are ""above the law"". If you change your attitude, you'd probably have less "this happened to me" stories about code.

John

That may or may not be correct. Just a caution..

Does the data sheet indicate which brand the breakers are approved for? I was surprised to find that sometimes, even if the breaker fits, it may not be approved for use.

I didn't say there was. Only why a code inspector might be interested in looking under the hood.

What is current code? 2014, 2011, or 2008? States typically take 3 years to adopt new. I can see you running into issues depending on the install location.

Coming across with such a poor attitude like that is probably why the guy gave you problems. You just told me that I don't know what I'm talking about and I should go back and study the subject because you are ""above the law"". If you change your attitude, you'd probably have less "this happened to me" stories about code.

John

Actually never met the guy. We ship the system and the subcontractor on site handles those things. Normally I sit down withe the AHJ and hand them a cut sheet book and my read of the appropriate code sections. Even yeàrs later they treat me well.

Most of them know they have never seen A sound system of my size and appreciate the review. Fire marshals also get a view of the STI techniques.

SY wow you are right. Mispllleld it this time.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Not sure why, but this all feels fairly oddparents :)

Hey I have 5 kids..

Attachments

• Cosmo_Rules_Pic_2.jpg
    Cosmo_Rules_Pic_2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 149
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I do recommend anyone who likes classical to try the UK based Chandos label. As they record 5.1 channel SACD and mix down to 2 channels for the CD layer/download you don't get the rolled off lower octaves that most commercial recordings have. And it's music you want to listen to!

Some labels who should know better have some very odd frequency responses that suggest a lot of post processing.

Question - why are the lower octaves rolled off? I see no reason for this on a CD or digital recording.

I have some CD's with 'seismic' bass, but many leave a lot to be desired I would agree.

I've been thinking about getting a sub . . .

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Question - why are the lower octaves rolled off? I see no reason for this on a CD or digital recording.
Guessing so it doesn't kill the average wimpy speaker. But it's oddly close to a vinyl roll off in bass...

Correlation is not causality but two attached examples. One is a chandos SACD and the other is another label redbook only. My assumption is that SACDs are mastered for the .1 sub channel. But really should write to chandos and ask them. EDIT: I believe the infrasonics are an anomaly due to unfamiliarity with audacity.

Had one for 18 years. Just never got it running. Bad me!

Attachments

• mahler 9 halle.jpg
    mahler 9 halle.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 170
  • shostakovich 2 first movement.jpg
    shostakovich 2 first movement.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012

I have some CD's with 'seismic' bass, but many leave a lot to be desired I would agree.

Many CD's have long been made off the "2nd Gen master" made for cutting LP's. Not from the original master.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.