John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Doesn't non zero phase angle also give less crossover distorsion?

/örjan

Crossover refers to the commutation of current in the output buffer, so it moves but does not necessarily lessen but the phase of all the distortion components becomes modulated. Audible difference, don't know. Certainly worth pursuing as a source of amp/speaker interaction.

Call it what you want: mistake, oversight, whatever. Dave did not realize what he was doing to the speaker impedance curve when he added this added series resonance. Apparently it sounded and measured acoustically better (he used Heyser's TEF in those days) and it did not affect his amps, so he put it in. He was very embarrassed when I pointed out to him that he made a mistake, but he took it well. It took years for him to 'work around' this aberration, and in some ways for the worst. However high current supply amps with limited output protection will drive this load OK, and even tube amps do OK with it. They apparently 'ignore' the dropout.

Speaker designer of very high price products did`t measure such a basic stuff as the speaker impedance...That tells a lot. :) Ok, people make mistakes, but this example is silly...I could understand that if he was selling 200$ a pair speakers made in China, or something like that...

Last edited:
Bogdan you remind me of those who used to give me a hard time about the cost of making the CTC Blowtorch. It appears to be beyond you that the cabinet is VERY COSTLY to make, just like it was for us to make the aluminum cases for the CTC Blowtorch that cost us about $3000, 15 years ago. Criticism is easy, perfection is not.

Call it what you want: mistake, oversight, whatever. Dave did not realize what he was doing to the speaker impedance curve when he added this added series resonance. Apparently it sounded and measured acoustically better (he used Heyser's TEF in those days) and it did not affect his amps, so he put it in. He was very embarrassed when I pointed out to him that he made a mistake, but he took it well. It took years for him to 'work around' this aberration, and in some ways for the worst. However high current supply amps with limited output protection will drive this load OK, and even tube amps do OK with it. They apparently 'ignore' the dropout.

These aggressive protection schemes cuased a lot of grief in the late 70-ies. Far too many amps, typically from mnufacturers' top f the line ranges, were pished so hard by the undying Japanese drive to use SEPP output stages in high power amplification that their protection circuits had to be aggressive. They still offer models rated at 100/200W into 8/4 Ohms using just one pair of 150W devices. That just sounds hunny and flat when connected to a sdeaker with a funny impedance modulus.

Bogdan you remind me of those who used to give me a hard time about the cost of making the CTC Blowtorch. It appears to be beyond you that the cabinet is VERY COSTLY to make, just like it was for us to make the aluminum cases for the CTC Blowtorch that cost us about $3000, 15 years ago. Criticism is easy, perfection is not.

Ok, let me correct my self:

Speaker designer did`t measure such a basic stuff as the speaker impedance?:)

You are correct, billshurv. For the record, the WAMM was VERY kludge like. BUT it worked! It could sound wonderful. My friends and I used to go over to Dave's house (in the bay area) in the 1980's to have a listening party. It was wonderful!
Dave tried everything, and he was not prejudiced by an engineering degree on what not to do. He has a degree in biology or something, instead. You know, professional but not really technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.