John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't that change the impedance of the line at each tap? In turn the load will need to be adjusted to match each stub. I suppose you could model the whole array and see what happens. Not in any software I could afford. it would all be moot for frequencies below 1 GHz in audio applications. For clock distribution getting the electrical lengths uniform would be more important.

The problem is the signal front would see different impedances as it travels down the tracks causing more problems, just use parallel a.c. resistive termination to match everything at the end of the line. On branched I always use a cap in series with a resistor to limit the power loss and if down to ground the peak level dropping. Here's a nice little doc...

http://www.icd.com.au/articles/Multiple_Loads_PCBD-Feb2014.pdf

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Party time enjoy ;).

Even more party time fun is setting an interesting filter around the multicore/production power of ZZ live show....party time bigtime....hear them live like they ought to sound.
The next (major) act remarked on how good the sound was.....hmmmmm.....

Dan.

Sorry Dan you are slacking. Unless Axel called up from LA to say the sound he heard over the phone was the best ever this is going backwards :p

Sorry Dan you are slacking. Unless Axel called up from LA to say the sound he heard over the phone was the best ever this is going backwards :p
Haha (and yes you are observant)....remember, he who laughs last laughs longest.
I'm doing some serious fun on PA and Backline tomorrow night...the new thing is physically treating the drum set.....it's going to be the biggest/coherentist live sound any of us has ever heard I predict....the band, the sound engineer and I are in cahoots in this project.

Dan.

Last edited:
Surely the drummer treats it physically every night?
Hajo, the drummer is German, blonde, young (30's), seriously fit (10+ min MEGA drum solos, whooohooo, whooohooo, whooohooo, yeah that good !), uber intelligent and fun.....he ain't lonely ;).

Informative comment is that cymbals behave differently according to the room/venue.
A few mins of A/B experiments post show last week showed cymbals that would not splash and floor tom that subjectively dropped an octave and doubled sense of power...I didn't try treating the kick but I expect same result as the floor tom.
Hajo reported that tom and cymbals felt different through the sticks also.
Axel was sayin' the same thing....

Fun and interesting stuff.

Dan.

Last edited:
German is Deutsch.
Pennsylvania Dutch are Deitsch, aka Deutsch, aka German roots.

Making innocent-fun jokes of Germans is a tradition here, same same for Belgians.
Example is the eigendiode comment of Mr Wurcer. An 'inherent' characteristic of the German language is sticking words together, no space inbetween.
Which can lead to words of immense length, even in elementary school days it was fun to think-up huge imaginary German words. Charlie Chaplin also did it in The Great Dictator movie.

The Dutch are Germanic roots, the language is half-German, our royalty is German, even the national anthem says we're of German blood.
Half-crouts, Germans with a sense of humor.

For a German to be fun, he'd have to be a Duet-ch

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
German is Deutsch.
Pennsylvania Dutch are Deitsch, aka Deutsch, aka German roots.

Is there any etymology around if the 'dutch' was just a mishearing/pronouncing of 'Deutsche' or actually how they described themselves waaay back when their rocking chairs were high tech...

our royalty is German
So is ours! I mean the house of Saxe-Coberg-Gotha is a dead giveaway (hence the hasty name change in 1917).

[/QUOTE]

Jacco, I learned something interesting last night in a conversation with a professor of linguistics- Pennsylvania Dutch and Yiddish are mutually intelligible. I always found Pennsylvania Dutch particularly easy but had assumed that it was because I speak German and it would have had a lot of English influence. Apparently not so.

But Sy Yiddish is based on Germanic/Hebrew slang so why would it be any different than any other German dialect?

There's quite a lot of differences- it's about as close to German as, say, Swedish or Flemish are. A lot of Slavic-derived words, too. So an Amish might be slightly confused by a phrase like "der gantzeh mishpokha" but figure it out from context.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I've been going to Thailand for almost 20 years. I still cannot say more than 2-3 words. it's an impossible language. And, they often dont put a space between words.... all run together. Nuts. A few months ago, the interim government said to get a raise in the government depended on English proficiency. Thank God.

THx-RNMarsh

Status
Not open for further replies.