John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
And whilst posting this, how about you posting a list of two of the records which you have made and which have been published? .

They were all private releases. Some academic, some religious.

This focus on public sales suggests a lack of understanding of the recording process. The quality of the effort is frequently not reflected in sales.

In these cases there was no expectation of substantial sales. I got paid, regardless.

The quality and effort of the work is always done before there are any sales.

This may be a foreign concept to some: Quality work is frequently done because of pride in the work and not because of some golden carrot hanging over the horizon.

Strange that a hobbyist would not know this.

A good recording takes the same effort regardless of sales.

There are many recordings that were musical and/or technical successes, but economically not so much.

They were all private releases. Some academic, some religious.

So who's the amateur now?

What you describe is pretty much an extensive description of what an amateur is and what an amateur does.

This in no way implies criticism of your work, because I don't know it. Very few people probably know it.

It might be very good, but must have certainly not been up to industry standards. After all, why spend time on unpublished volumes, when you can spend the same time working with professional musicians on a piece of art that can be shared by many through the virtues of the market?

May I perhaps conclude therefore that your work has not (yet) reached the level where people would be prepared to part with their money to get a piece of it?

By the way, this revelation sheds the pertinence of many of your postings in a very particular light.

Not one commercially produced or released recorded product and someone is an audio expert? Seems to be some grandiose statements of fact being made here. There are any number of people who get paid to make private recording, but who is to judge those as well made recordings? Talking about the Emperor with no clothes on!

Flame me all you want, been in many recording studios with real professional musicians, quality is a very tenuous thing in audio and often not something with much agreement.

On my experience, it is easier to achieve a high open loop gain in a VFA, to the detriment of open loop bandwidth, that means less distortion at low frequencies.

You need to get a grasp of the "loop gain" and "unity loop gain frequency" concepts. Your statement above doesn't make any sense.

It is easier to achieve high slew rate and bandwidth with CFA, that mean less distortion at high frequencies.

High slew rate and bandwidth do not provide less distortion at high frequency. You dearly miss elementary knowledge of feedback theory.

CFA are more sensible to power quality, because they have a poor PSRR, while the PSRR can be better at very HF.

No, the usual current feedback topology doesn't have any higher PSRR at HF. Spice should be your friend.

CFA are, usually easier to compensate, and offer, everything equal, a better phase margin. The closed loop bandwidth is near independent from the overall closed loop gain.

No, they are not easier to compensate (e.g. you can't easily add a little lag compensation for phase correction), and no, at least not for the common audio closed loops gain. And it doesn't matter for audio, anyway (except for the clueless Golden Ear Brigade members).

Thank you and accepted; I admire you for doing such work Mr.K. It must have given you some experience of the difficulties involved - for example - in mic placement. Non- dedicated recording locations can be very good (e.g. Watford Town Hall - until the owner of the carpets stored in the cellars removed them), and St John's, Smith Square.

Last edited:
Ed,
But you do have commercial experience of a very technical nature and I would give that a lot of credence. I've worked doing pro sound reinforcement so do understand what something is supposed to sound like and think I have a good ear, at the same time I wouldn't call myself a recording engineer. There is definitely a synergy between the sound designers and sound reproduction whether in the studio or out in a large venue. There are more than a few people on this forum who have done live recording and understand the problems of doing that. It isn't easy to do it right, but when done right most people will agree about the end products quality even if they don't like the type of music recorded. I think what at one time was probably the hardest thing to do was doing a live event while a second company was doing a recording. I remember doing that while Wally Heider was out in a closed truck doing a recording simultaneously. I know Christhope has been on both sides of the equation, equipment and recording. I imagine that the recordings that Sy and Scott have made were nicely done.

Of course, but interestingly enough, I didn't say anything about that. However, here it is coming out of the mouths of babes, as it were. ;-)

Um. Y'know, sometimes people think and write things that aren't about you.

... poorly designed tubed gear and analog media sound more pleasing to them than more modern, more accurate gear.

nor did I mentulion anything about those specifically. My particular amps are SS and quite accurate, not that it's too relevant to my point...

Are the two related? Are they the same thing? Does one necessitate the other?

Is expectation bias real or not? And is it fair game to use it rather than just waggle a finger about it? That was my point.

Should all persons who see that these self-appointed emperors of egocentric audio are actually buck-naked be assailed with personal attacks and run out of town on a rail?

Who's on a rail? Is a counter view making you into a victim?

Well, we have the lessons of history, perchance we wish to learn from them. At the turn of the 20th century the then modern art of therapeutic medication was dominated by placebo potions, which were the like the felt dots of health care.
Hifi (not equal to) medicine. Missing the point...

Laws were enacted that fostered our current modern art of therapeutic medication ...

All good things. But doesnt mean every facet of our lives needs the same enforced.

Really? You can seriously post this apparent apologetic for self-delusion and say that?
Really? You can seriously presume the right to insist how other people can feel pleasure?

Im not being apologetic, btw. Just recognizing that things like expectation bias REALLY aren't avoidable by just deciding to avoid it. And accepting that, even allowing that there need not be a crusade to try to free the unwilling world of that,. which you don't seem to. Some people are happy, and if so, maybe butt out?

Yes, some slimy people make crazy scienceish arguments to sell high priced nonsense, feel free to point them out, youre not on a rail. But if some person needs to spend money to be happy, even illogically, and has it to spend, and isn't asking your advice about it.... it's not about you.

Nobody is forcing that on people. In fact, its been proven over and over again that all one need do is mention science, and those who favor charms and amulets grab their axes, run into the streets and vigorously attack the pro-science malefactors. BTW the charms and amulets are ineffective and harmless, but the axes are sharp and real.
Victim complex much? What axes wounds are you healing from?

Are there really quite good class D amps? Something about endemic substandard high source impedance near the end of the audible range? Well, they share that with a lot of tubed amps...

I think you're out of your depth. Only the Class D amps that take feedback before the filter have high output Z at high frequencies (though usually even then only above the 13kHz-ish upper limit of most of our hearing here). The claas Ds I mentioned are Hypex UCD designs, very likely with higher damping at 20kHz than what you're using. I also have some ICEpower amps, post filter feedback also.

Btw, are you now arguing that i should be able to hear differences between matched level decent power amps in a dbt? Or that a dbt wouldn't be valid about sound quality? I wouldn't take those positions, myself, in a logical argument....

Though, to quote Nelson Pass, its entertainment, not dialysis.

Last edited:
Bill, please see my comment to Paul and the other Bill.

Ah, yes. But some mornings it's just nice to do a little barrel-fish shooting to help wake up. I'll find something else to play with now, I promise!

Though I do think my earlier post that Arny was responding to (and that wasn't actually directed specifically at him) had some points worth discussing...

Status
Not open for further replies.