John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dinosaurs who had something interesting to say 40 years ago and now coasting on their name. Not my idea of great music.
Sorry to say this, but this message is not the kind of thing we can expect from a gentleman.
- You will be old one day or an other (I hope-it for you).
- Experience is something a lot more valuable than any theoretical or scholar knowledge. What was true several years ago is still true, nowadays, most of the time. This is true for electronic as well as music. Most of the musicians improve themselves with age. music is a matter of soul, souls do not age.
- This kind of remarks is not useful for anybody. Just some kind of elderly racism ?
- About Fletwood Mac, if it was the object of your remark, i just hope all the musical production should be at least at their level... We sure would enjoy more of "great music" that the things we can hear most of the time on the radios nowadays (Rap etc.)
- We do not expect that kind of bashing ("Dinosaurs") from a moderator which is supposed to have exemplary conduct. I feel offended, I'm old, and not believe to be a dinosaur. Just a kid crying over his lost friends and weakening strength.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1b8AhIsSYQ

Last edited:
I'll give anything a listen with open ears. My biggest problem is I'm lousy at genres and what the differences are so stick with 'good music' and 'bad music'. But that is worth another listen.

Currently not sure where to put Cello metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjCJxbgOx78

It transposes quite nicely

As for Stu picking on Fleetwood and stating a personal preference in that sense, I don't think that it counts as moderation fodder. (for whatever my opinion is worth)

Last edited:
If you want to spend $100 on a ticket to sit in a huge arena to see a group that has done nothing creative or original this century, be my guest. And I am already old, so...

Disclosure: I did some work for Mick Fleetwood and have nothing but good to say about him personally. He was great to work with, down to earth, and paid us. :D

edit: I see I was far too low on the ticket prices.

Disclosure: I did some work for Mick Fleetwood and have nothing but good to say about him personally. He was great to work with, down to earth, and paid us. :D
Well, I have NO record of Fleetwood Mac in my library. So I'm not sure they had something interesting (for me) to say 40 years ago neither... But it was, and still is, not so bad neither. They were and still stay 'honest', trying their best don't you think ? Just the ambiance of an era, reason of your feelings ? What shocked-me was the use of this term "Dinosaur". Are all the musicians supposed to die at 27 ?
If you want to spend $100 on a ticket to sit in a huge arena to see a group that has done nothing creative or original this century, be my guest.
I just spend some $ to re-buy some CD of Coltrane, despite he has done nothing creative or original this century ;-)
In fact, my problem is I don't find a lot of creative or original production... this century. May-be you are right and it is because I'm a dinosaur ?

Last edited:
We visited Fleetwood Macs Concert here around 2 or 3 years ago, Christine Perfect was absent. Tickets i think around 130.-, apx 10'000 Fans have been coming.

The gig had some very good elements, but many ups and downs, Stevies Voice i missed a lot of power and her 10 Minutes Storytelling concerning the past did not help a lot and Micks Drumming was many times out of the pace.
Basically i would say , Lindsey did the best parts and showed clearly his influence in the early days.

Very different than 30 years ago for 25 bucks.

If they come over again with Christine, it would buy a ticket again, otherwise not.

On the other hand, Mick was here with his Blues Band with Rick Vito in a smaller location with maybe 2'000 visitors, and this was really first class for 50 bucks and a very good seat in the first row of the balcony.

When we were talking with John Statz, a very talented and original young guy, about playing a private show for us (which he will be doing on November 20), he was somewhat incredulous that we'd pay his usual rate for just family and a few friends. My wife, ever the pragmatist, pointed out that for an equal amount of money, we could get two seats at an arena, barely able to see the performers, and see some people who were good 30 years ago run through some overplayed material while we drank lousy and expensive beer, OR we could get someone who is fresh and creative play in our living room- and eat and drink better in the process. John grinned and said, "I like the way you think!"

I have more fleetwood Mac albums than my age might suggest. Last saw them around 1990, not sure would pay to see them now.

I had that same feeling when I saw Jethro Tull in 1999. I knew I'd never see them live again and I stopped going to arena shows in general. It was sad, I remembered what they were like in 1969. These days, we mostly go to small clubs and every once in a while, will go to an old theater (500-1000 seats). It's a much better musical experience for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.