John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an amateur photographer, I started with an 6cmx6cm Lubitel 2 camera, russian2

I arm twisted my parents into buying me a Lubitel 2 when I was 8 or 9 years old, under the condition that I had to pay for film and development from my pocket money. Good way to achieve the necessary skills, couldn't shoot more than 1 roll a month at best, so every spoiled picture was a disaster.

Recently I bought one second hand for zilch and it even had the yellow filter behind the turning lid. Great memories and a fine way to get the 100 ASA = 1/125 F16 on a sunny day with compensations for all kinds of weather (F8 for medium cloud cover) into muscle memory.

(more sophisticated and lower distortion than Scott's latest version here recently).

Works for me. ;) -80dB at 1V p-p for 5mV phono, not good enough? The point was removal of everything possible Muntzing to the max so to speak. Why not just ignore it if you don't want to play along with a little circuit minimalism experiment?

Last edited:
Possibly, or I am assuming that if I can see it the camera really ought to be able to capture it. We get the most wonderful pinks in the sky as the sun hits about 5 degrees above the horizon and when the oilseed rape is in flower the yellow of the field, pink of the sky and orange of the sun looks beautiful, but a biatch to capture. If you want a black field or white sky no problem!

Tripod is broken and I don't have a ND filter suitable. One spring will get it.

Bill, once you get your tripod fixed, I really really really recommend image stacking and median filtering over ND filters (assuming we're talking digital) to handle these huge DR scenes. Set your exposure to a moderately-low ISO (100-400, depending on conditions) and your shutter speed to *almost* blowing the highlights. Now, get about 10 frames at this setting, and then bump the ISO to 1600, and do the same, without changing the shutter speed--don't worry about blowing out the top of the image.

In effect you're mimicking Magic Lantern's 100/1600 dual exposure, then stacking via a median filter (finds the median value of each pixel among the stack)

You'll only be using the ISO 1600 for the very bottom of the exposure to extend your lower DR/noise. It's a fair bit of work and a lot of crunching, but the ultimate base image is so extremely noise free that you can do murder in post processing and the image doesn't even flinch.

*I rarely need that kind of DR, and even less likely to have my tripod with me when I do, but I've done this a few times hand-held with something like a burst of iso400 followed by a burst of iso1600. Even 3-4 images at each ISO works wonders.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I've used the Lightroom to do some HDR in the past as it has a plugin for that. I was messing around with night time shots by street light. I also had some success using masks, but that was very time consuming.

Then I look at the medium format print on my wall of sunset over the pacific coast (erskine wood Erskine Wood Photography : can't find it on his website tho) and wonder why I bother. OK even he uses a D800 now in his 70s :p

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This everyone should read, Peter Aczel 89 years
Web 'Zine Page 1

Most interesting part:

The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information? It wasn’t always so. Between the birth of “high fidelity,” circa 1947, and the early 1970s, what the engineers said was accepted by that generation of hi-fi enthusiasts as the truth. Then, as the ’70s decade grew older, the self-appointed experts without any scientific credentials started to crawl out of the woodwork. For a while they did not overpower the educated technologists but by the early ’80s they did, with the subjective “golden-ear” audio magazines as their chief line of communication. I remember pleading with some of the most brilliant academic and industrial brains in audio to fight against all the nonsense, to speak up loudly and brutally before the untutored drivel gets out of control, but they just laughed, dismissing the “flat-earthers” and “cultists” with a wave of the hand. Now look at them! Talk to the know-it-all young salesman in the high-end audio salon, read the catalogs of Audio Advisor, Music Direct, or any other high-end merchant, read any of the golden-ear audio magazines, check out the subjective audio websites—and weep. The witch doctors have taken over. Even so, all is not lost. You can still read Floyd Toole and Siegfried Linkwitz on loudspeakers, Douglas Self and Bob Cordell on amplifiers, David Rich (hometheaterhifi.com) on miscellaneous audio subjects, and a few others in that very sparsely populated club. (I am not including The Audio Critic, now that it has become almost silent.) Once you have breathed that atmosphere, you will have a pretty good idea what advice to ignore.

You could have included Linear Audio as another hold-out for the rational and educated...:cool:

Jan

IWith a newer Sony EXMOR sensor (among others), you're already several stops ahead of any film commonly used (and matching/slightly ahead of some of your really nice B&W films). The log nature of film does well to compress highlights (crushing contrast), however, that oftentimes makes for some lovely tonality.
+1
Please, note, on the photos i showed that the sun itself is directly in the scene, and not 100% RVB to keep its color. The only difference with what my eyes was able to capture is the village is a little darker than what I saw. A little, and i could recover-it easily with no noise with masks in Lightroom. But I loved the capture as it was, and, on my side, don't like too much HDR: Like in Hifi, I like the media to be natural and not hyper realistic, not attracting attention on it.

Works for me. ;) -...(..)...The point was removal of everything possible Muntzing to the max so to speak.
I love minimalist circuits. Did you see my 1 valve 1 resistor complete strain gauge preamp sketch a few pages earlier ?

Been thinking about why 5mV input works for you at audioband hf, since most programme material roughly follows a 1/f law as to spectral content one would think the ADC might run low on bits.........but then I remembered this is pre-RIAA, so the RIAA precomp in the recorded programme material fixes the problem somewhat. RIAA precomp improves audioband hf bit quantisation, so long as the ADC is done pre RIAA stage. Even for a more normal level match with the ADC, this should present an improvement for quiet audioband hf I think.

Go Muntzing !

You could have included Linear Audio as another hold-out for the rational and educated
An other use of this forum to self-promoting a commercial product ?
Rational ? For sure. Educated ? Not so sure, Nobody is able to give accurate correlation between distortion number and subjective listening experience. Speakers are a perfect example, with their very ugly distortion numbers.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I love minimalist circuits. Did you see my 1 valve 1 resistor complete strain gauge preamp sketch a few pages earlier ?

Been thinking about why 5mV input works for you at audioband hf, since most programme material roughly follows a 1/f law as to spectral content one would think the ADC might run low on bits.........but then I remembered this is pre-RIAA, so the RIAA precomp in the recorded programme material fixes the problem somewhat. RIAA precomp improves audioband hf bit quantisation, so long as the ADC is done pre RIAA stage. Even for a more normal level match with the ADC, this should present an improvement for quiet audioband hf I think.

Go Muntzing !

I think you've hit the nail there. If Scott provided about 15 dB of gain before feeding his cart directly into the A-D, there would still be circa 25 dB OL margin at HF on a 5mV cart at 5cm/s. I am imagining a world where you put on a test disk and the system then self cals for flat response and also removes any peaking or other response anomalies.

Very nice!

:)

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
why single Linear audio out? You have to pay for the Cordell and Self books and SL is careful about what he gives away so you need to pay to get 'all' the information. Only leaves Toole and his best stuff is AES papers which, no sh*t you have to pay for.
Toole has paid a kilobuck to make the latest and lengthy AES paper open access. It should be out soon. Also the McGill >1 hour talk is freely accessible, and has gotten lots of views.

Is there some history here we are not aware of?
I don't know. For me, always somethings new to learn or discover.
I was just reacting against those name dropping, authors, like Self, mixing with subtlety correct engineering and personal preferences presented as law of physics and acting, in fact, the same way than snake oil gurus... see what I mean ?
Knowledge of electronic science, components behaviors (they are not perfect), correct engineering, improvement and verification of the results by careful and accurate measurements and... modesty about what we believe we know: curiosity, experimentations, careful listening ...
Between pure objectivism and pure subjectivism, the best position is, as often, the middle of the road ?

Status
Not open for further replies.