John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I live in Shanghai. There is quite a wine 'scene' here.

You can get some very decent Aussie stuff (2006, 2008 Peter Lehman Shiraz that is quite drinkable at the local supermarket) and there is a very nice wine club up the road slap bang in the middle of the old French Concession. 50 bucks to join and you get the chance to taste up to 5 wines and then buy. French, Californian, Aussie, NZ with some good vintages going back 12-15 years. High end restaurants on the Bund offer whatever your pocket can stand - lot of French stuff.

If you are a top two global exporter how else do you try preserve the balance of payments? Ship electronics, semiconductors, car parts whatever and import western food and fine wines.

By the way, there is a very nice app here that a lot of people - including locals - are using called Vivino. There's nothing like going into the supermarket or sommelier and pulling your smart phone out to get a handle on a bottle of wine. I've avoided a few dissapointments! Last time I looked they had about 2.9 million wine ratings.

Last edited:
I live in Shanghai. There is quite a wine 'scene' here.

Just my experience I guess, our guys would never eat in the Bund. I forgot now the office is down near the French concession and the last night there they took my wife and I to a fairly high end restaurant in a tower. Definitely a high end western style table service and not family oriented but traditional food. In the US a restaurant like this would have wine on virtually every table at dinner service. Come to think of it most of our guys don't smoke either.

Is the No. 1 Market open again? I think that's what its called, I loved the selection of sea cucumbers at $100's a kilo and the $45,000 bottle of MauTai.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Our guys don't eat there either. There'd be a call from the accountant that's for sure! But for a 30th Wedding anniversary I did ;).

I don't get the Mau Tai thing, or the sea cucumber. - you would have to grow up with that to appreciate I guess.

You have to remember there's over a quarter of a million expats here and a sizeable industry around servicing them and there's no doubt, just as Chinese culture rubs off on them, the opposite is also true. However, the expats here don't throw money around like the bankers did in Japan at the Tokyo American Club before the crash. A burger and a beer and you'd be lucky to get a away with 100 bucks. I quickly learned to avoid the place and the watched from the sidelines as they tried to figure out how to pay for a 100 million $ clubhouse after the crash. Disaster.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
$45K ? That is a pretty good bribe. Should be sufficient to make a positive impression.

Next time in Taipai.... ask to eat at Thee place called Snake Alley. That is also a memorable experience in the most positive way. Uber. Over the top service and food. I wont say more to spoil the surprise. Anyone... go there.

THx-RNMarsh

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
In Taipei, I can recommend 'A-plus Chefs Special' There's two of them right next to each other. The one is a pure Japanese food place and the other is Japanse-Chinese fusion Restuarant. Fabulous. Very good selection of Japanse sake and my favorite beer, Asahi Super Dry. If you into vegetarian, try Mia Cucina in Tisnmu, and for fine Western dining try 'Oesteria' in Dahzi.

Attachments

• Palate.JPG
    Palate.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 209
Around 1985 I spent six moths in Dalian working for Ericsson. We had banquets with the Post customer and not to drink the Mau Tai, or eat the sea cucumber was offense to them. For New Year we tried to find some wine, but it was almost impossible, finally we have found some Hungarian risling an bought two bottles. Later we came for more and they said those were the only bottles they had. But the food was excellent and cheap, best I ever ate, and the bear was quite good, only in 7 dl bottles. That was before Tiananmen, old Chine.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
The only Chinese concoction I would avoid, even at the risk of offense, is that wretched hard liquor made from fermented peas (and sorghum?). Back when CES Inc. had summer shows in Chicago, I went to a fine Chinese restaurant and scanned the wine list, and tried to order a bottle---not knowing what it was. The server talked me out of a bottle, but did allow me a small glass. I thanked her for helping me avoid any more than that glass. The bouquet could be compared to really funky sweat socks, and did it have a kick.

Probably an extremely unfair thing to throw in, but at one stage we were living next to a Slavic family that "remodelled" a small suburban home by surrounding it, consuming it with a Hollywood mansion. As in, a huge entrance foyer with circular staircase running around it, with massive crystal chandelier in the centre - you get the idea, ;). One day, they insisted we try the family made "wine", a yearly tradition it appeared to be to produce this - this was essentially pure vinegar, and a very, very poor vinegar at that. Some poor bastards probably had to consume whole glasses of the stuff, to keep up appearances - how typical would this be?

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
In Shanghai I can highly recommend Azul ( Spanish/Western) and Lost Heaven. Both in the old French Concession. The latter specializes in Yunan cuisine. Good selection of wines. For Saturday or Sunday lunch if you find yourself over the weekend on a business trip you can try Ginger by the Park - Western and Asian cuisine with great atmosphere also in old French Concession. Reservations at all thee places a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.