John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evaluation of audio systems can be done in a subjective but meaningful way, if one has enough experience in using an effective approach. Recordings which strongly emphasis commonly occurring weakness are put on, and volumes adjusted until the problems are "painfully" obvious, for people who are deaf to such things :p - stress testing is the key here. Having coaxed the negative characteristics to show themselves in their most prominent form, under strong lights - you now know where the system's limitations are.

Hopefully, none, or minimally disturbing behaviours are shown to be present - so now one can relax and enjoy high quality long term replay, irrespective of what is put on ... this is equivalent to the "velvet" experience with wines ... ;).

But took me 10 years to realise that is what he had done. Still damned impressive demo.
Years ago I designed a preamp and and we had an after hours A/B party with Trevor Lee and his design. If not for my friend (and main dealer) "steering perceptions" I would have been humiliated. As it turned out (Trevor and I went out for a beer after the party) even he was convinced ........

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Absolutely. Any professional or serious amateur evaluation involves spit buckets.
Which is one of the reasons that wine tasting is not all that much fun, nor, for that matter, controlled listening tests. I stopped going to free-for-alls where people were not only guzzling but for which all the bottles were visible. A decent St. Emilion, Lamarzelle Figeac, was by far the most enjoyable, and naturally disdained by the majority, who clamored for the most expensive wine of the night, a few-year-old 1975 Mouton Rothschild, which was so hard as to be virtually undrinkable---but with sufficient prior alcohol, my "colleagues" didn't seem to notice.

I'm constantly baffled by people's obsession with the price of the object, doesn't seem such a problem in Oz, as far as I can see. Most wines produced here are very reasonable in cost, and there's little interest is going for the "pricey" ones, just because they're there - there is an extremely large wine outlet just up the road, and they're always running a tasting stand, with at least half a dozen items, highly varied in price and source ready to go. And quite often the bottle towards the bottom of the cost range is the most impressive, simply because it delivers everything the most expensive item does in being interesting, and sometimes being better - and does it at an excellent value for money ratio.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Does storing wine in say a terracotta wine rack or a wooden wine rack (same temps) cause change in wine taste ?.
I have a 'coaster' that changes wine taste.

Dan.

I do know that in the Northen hemisphere you must swirl the wine in your glass anti clockwise, while south of the equator the opposite applies. I was shocked to discover this.

More L8er!

;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi SY,
I thought you took one apart, must have been someone else. I do remember seeing pictures of a "device" that looked all the world like a resistor lovingly wrapped up in a variety of wrappings. I do know you tested them, sorry for the error all.

Hi John,
Electrons are stupid. They don't know who is noise and who is a "good" signal. They just follow the path of least resistance. External fields can't tell the difference between electrons either. Same with magnetic fields. No one knows who is who, good signal or bad. Now, how on earth does anyone sort all those little beggars out??

The human population believes in so many things that don't exist, why do the audio centric folks need yet another fallacy to follow? Green markers, green LEDs, speaker wire lifts ... you really want to add to that pile? I wonder, have you tried to hold speaker wire off the ground with Bybee devices? There just might be the next massive audio tweak in there. People need to buy a whole bunch of them. I think someone made a marketing boo-boo. Just one pair?

-Chris :)

My exposure to listening to the WATT1 was in 1984 at a concert hall, listening back to a recording of David and Julie that we made on my new 30 ips analog recorder that I made for Dave Wilson. The speakers sounded a lot like what was being recorded, and when Dave gave me a pair about 5 years later, I was elated, and have remained so, ever since.

Which is one of the reasons that wine tasting is not all that much fun, nor, for that matter, controlled listening tests. I stopped going to free-for-alls where people were not only guzzling but for which all the bottles were visible. A decent St. Emilion, Lamarzelle Figeac, was by far the most enjoyable, and naturally disdained by the majority, who clamored for the most expensive wine of the night, a few-year-old 1975 Mouton Rothschild, which was so hard as to be virtually undrinkable---but with sufficient prior alcohol, my "colleagues" didn't seem to notice.

Way back I had the chance to get a bit of the Mouton Rothschild. I am aware of the folks who diss it. But I really wonder what it is they are drinking. Mine is quite nice.

When my younger brother came back from college (UT) he brought back some bottles of what his expert insisted was a better wine, no one here agreed with that. Recently SY suggested what he thought was a better choice again left me wondering.

I recently laid in some Washington state wines. The claret at 5 years old is suggesting to me I didn't buy enough.

Currently working in the N.Y. wine region and will pick up a bit for my cellar. Now around here I really have a cellar! Still a bit too damp but should have that fixed soon.

Of course my favorite source is when I can buy the stock from a small restaurant closing after many years or even generations in the business. Used to be $3.00 a bottle but these days $5.00-$7.00 when you buy it all.

Of course to stay on topic since some folks have complained, which wines go better with listening to music with a FET front end versus a bipolar? I figure SY's suggestions go with tubes.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Way back I had the chance to get a bit of the Mouton Rothschild. I am aware of the folks who diss it. But I really wonder what it is they are drinking. Mine is quite nice.

When my younger brother came back from college (UT) he brought back some bottles of what his expert insisted was a better wine, no one here agreed with that. Recently SY suggested what he thought was a better choice again left me wondering.

I recently laid in some Washington state wines. The claret at 5 years old is suggesting to me I didn't buy enough.

Currently working in the N.Y. wine region and will pick up a bit for my cellar. Now around here I really have a cellar! Still a bit too damp but should have that fixed soon.

Of course my favorite source is when I can buy the stock from a small restaurant closing after many years or even generations in the business. Used to be $3.00 a bottle but these days $5.00-$7.00 when you buy it all.
Mouton I was not dissing, only those who would drink it 20 years or more too soon, and imagine that they were enjoying it.

I have had a few good Mouton, and one great one: a half-bottle of 1952, drunk around 1975, given me as a gift, and greedily consumed alone. I even did have a bottle of the 1975, much later than that Wine House "tasting", somewhere near 2002 iirc, and it was decent but not stupendous---not uncommon for that difficult year.

I drank a bottle of the 1970 Mouton with Bob Dylan and some friends, also way too early. Oops name-dropping there. But to his credit, the famous man preferred the wine that I had brought to the meal, which I think was a Pouilly Fume of reasonable repute.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
My exposure to listening to the WATT1 was in 1984 at a concert hall, listening back to a recording of David and Julie that we made on my new 30 ips analog recorder that I made for Dave Wilson. The speakers sounded a lot like what was being recorded, and when Dave gave me a pair about 5 years later, I was elated, and have remained so, ever since.

I have a few of the early wilson recordings that I picked up in the 80s at shows. They are still to me superb.

I don't really mind CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. What I don't like is destructive opinion, like violations of the 2'nd law of thermodynamics applied to Bybee devices or feedback systems.
I got to MY experts, like Richard Sequerra and they agree with me.

Well Mr Bybee has gone one step further than the 2nd law.....

Bybee Technologies | Our Technology

crystal technology, care to comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.