John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott,
What I am hearing here is some just want their favorite guru on a thread to have all inclusive control of the content and that person being able to censor any dissenting opinion. As you say there are just those who don't want to hear scientific evidence based arguments, this is audio, it is still a mystery black art with some holding back some magic dust.

We all know that vinyl is a legacy storage system that is there because we have a nostalgic memory from our youth, or people like the artwork of a vinyl album not possible with digital media. So we argue about matters pretty much satisfied by someone like John forty years ago. Can you do that just as well with today's active opamps, probably no problem, but so what, the inherent problems are never going away with vinyl reproduction.

Today is the age of everything going digital, let's move forward and stop arguing about the past. How do we make the best of high resolution digital music files, anything less than that is just retrograde thinking.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I see this sort of thing in data on Digi online catalog as well.
All sorts of parts.
Well I suppose we should be patient with them---they are maintaining a huge database. Manufacturers, on the other hand, ought to be better at describing their own parts. Having to buy a sample just to find out significant characteristics is a little tedious.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Today is the age of everything going digital, let's move forward and stop arguing about the past. How do we make the best of high resolution digital music files, anything less than that is just retrograde thinking.

These are the variables in CD players, which i find could be audible when comparing one player to another for JND. And comparing from Master source to CD player output:

Jitter (I/O) coax and F.optic.
Interpolation software
reconstruction filters
anti-aliasing filter
analog OPS
PSupply(s)

THx-RNMarsh

Yes.

Do nothing all day long, day after day. And watch the clock.

-RM

Yes, I might add as you watch the clock compute how much time you have until you have to do something.

To answer Ed's question get up and start the day at 4AM and around 2 or 3 in the afternoon you feel like you have lived a whole day and the rest is gravy.

Last edited:
Scott,
What I am hearing here is some just want their favorite guru on a thread to have all inclusive control of the content and that person being able to censor any dissenting opinion.

I thought I have limited my comments a lot, if JC wants a reference on entropy in information theory I would gladly send one. OTOH to dismiss it without even having a basic understanding is not acceptable. As for those who hold a grudge because someone points out a claim that violates the most basic principles, it's no longer worth the effort to carry on a conversation.

Look everyone, I am not for censorship of anybody, including myself (although that is beyond my control). I believe in fairness, real evidence against something being what it is represented as, etc.
SY never took a Bybee device apart, yet he is so sure of what he alleges. We just laugh at people like that.

Scott, Richard Sequerra has tried and approves of Bybee devices. Why?

I frankly don't care. Violate the 2nd law they don't, it's up to you to prove it. Taking them apart would be little help.
Interesting, I get it, the claim is noise is separated magically from signal and the masses eat it up and are happy, it's only pointing out the violations of first principles that is "destructive".

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
SY never took a Bybee device apart, yet he is so sure of what he alleges.
Ahhhh, yes he did. Cal Weldon bought a pair with his own money. SY then disassembled one describing what he saw with his own eyes. After that he applied his own tests with the equipment that he had. He also listened to them before "unwrapping" one.

If memory serves, those devices traveled around to a few members for their own listening tests and some testing with equipment. I believe they turned out to be a very low value resistor, but don't quote me on that. This was years ago now.

Now, please do expect to be challenged when something is claimed that can't be true. We have members who are experts in their fields and they tend to know physics cold. If you wish to present information that conflicts with known science, then it is up to you to divulge the information that would explain the conflict. Otherwise you are further ahead to not advance any claims that can't be substantiated. If you do, expect to be on the defense whenever you bring up a topic that cannot be defended or explained.

When you talk about things in normal space, the discussions tend to run along quite well.

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.