John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi elektroj,
please dissalow certain unproductive type of posts/ words used there, i.e. the ones that create endless pointless back and forth arguments, flame wars, trolling and drives away readers/contributors. 'Double blind' and 'bybee' comes to mind.
Well, that's what I have in mind. Otherwise our efforts would be pointless. That's also why the focus should shift from one product to a more general discussion. Can John focus on a product for a bit? Sure. But we want to be free from requests for an exact schematic for a commercial product. That would be unfair to ask of any designer.

John, I don't know if you would be interested, but the intent is to allow you to discuss ideas on a technical level that is sometimes beyond what many members might understand. This allows you to have a discussion that is interesting to you and other skilled people. Reported posts from you would get attention as long as that doesn't get abused.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jan,
If you recall, and this is over the years, there was pressure, even from me, to keep things at a level where most folks could grasp what was going on. I'm just saying that John is free to set the level of the discussions without external pressure to dumb anything down.

-Chris

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Hi Jan,
If you recall, and this is over the years, there was pressure, even from me, to keep things at a level where most folks could grasp what was going on. I'm just saying that John is free to set the level of the discussions without external pressure to dumb anything down.

-Chris
One other observation: Usually, JC has presented his material in a sort of Socratic dialogue fashion, asking questions and awaiting answers. This may feel appropriate to many. I'd prefer an exposition, including some numerical examples where appropriate---but that's just a personal preference.

If one does write in an expository fashion, it's pretty easy to have sidebars or appendices with higher-level stuff, and not interrupt the flow for the less sophisticated.

You never learn as much if you do not think about the problem. That is why we sometimes ask questions, rather than just give the answers. However, I personally, am just as challenged by 'questions' that I don't fully understand, and sometimes I never do. I just don't have the energy in that direction to find the answer, sometimes.
If I could, I would just give answers. It is easier for me, but it causes lots of xtalk from my critics, many of which are participating today, in fact, without my input.

Don't worry guys, I will never have 'moderation' powers here, in fact just the opposite.

Free John!

And for the rest, limitation of the freedom of speech always leads to oppression, so as long as I am allowed to say so, let's not even contemplate the thought!

edit: in case of evident derailment, people get snubbed already anyways.

Last edited:
One other observation: Usually, JC has presented his material in a sort of Socratic dialogue fashion, asking questions and awaiting answers. This may feel appropriate to many. I'd prefer an exposition, including some numerical examples where appropriate---but that's just a personal preference.

If one does write in an expository fashion, it's pretty easy to have sidebars or appendices with higher-level stuff, and not interrupt the flow for the less sophisticated.
RN Marsh did this in the CFA thread. Literally "kicked" the whole solid state crowd
in a new , more interesting direction. highly effective !

OS

And for the rest, limitation of the freedom of speech always leads to oppression, so as long as I am allowed to say so, let's not even contemplate the thought!

Unlike other audio forums, we NEVER censor any technical opinions (other than one specific safety-related issue). One reason I won't participate in most other places is exactly that- certain points of views are banned from discussion.

Comportment is a different issue.

While I know it is not in John's normal bag of tricks it would be nice if some in the know would talk a bit about using dsp's in networks, how to implement this simply and take it to whatever level possible after that. I just got an email from Analog Devices on some new dsp's for audio and other applications, new Sharc dsp's that look interesting. How you do this simply without making it very complex is the question, in my case I am looking at how you do this for an xo for a speaker application.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
While I know it is not in John's normal bag of tricks it would be nice if some in the know would talk a bit about using dsp's in networks, how to implement this simply and take it to whatever level possible after that. I just got an email from Analog Devices on some new dsp's for audio and other applications, new Sharc dsp's that look interesting. How you do this simply without making it very complex is the question, in my case I am looking at how you do this for an xo for a speaker application.
Well of course the manufacturers support their chips with application software, lots of graphics, eval boards into which you can download your hypothetical setups, and if it is a matter of a simple frequency-domain transfer function, you will likely get quite adequate results. For a more complicated system with things flowing to and from different domains in real time, you'd be well to invest the time with a book or two (online or not) to understand what is really going on.

There are lots of interesting topics, but it is difficult to be really 'expert' in all of them. If you continue to make amateur comments on loudspeakers, digital, etc, then I will just sit on the sidelines. When I really want to learn something, I go to experts.
By the way, poor Albert Einstein, what did he do for his last 40 years? '-)

Status
Not open for further replies.