John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Last edited:
Lumpy bass is defective bass as far as I'm concerned, you never hear this from live instruments - if I'm aware of some bass notes thundering away all the time then it's just a crap system, end of story - the worst offender I heard recently was https://steinwaylyngdorf.com/products/model-d-speaker, absolutely appalling sound ... :rolleyes:.

But obviously playing the percieved value card - big Towers of Power, lots of drivers, all of them bigga, looks like a million dollars, added Steinway monicer associating one to Steinway pianos. Bold claims added freely, it can't fail.

Working on the assumption of Frank's musical impressions, that's exactly what I've come to expect from that class of High End, or as SY would put it "boutique audio", is what I have to expect perhaps not by default, but certainly no surprise. Frand looks, bold names, hopping price lists and mediocre sound.

Dipoles, oh my. Open back speakers are the most room and placement critical, a waste of time as far as I am concerned.

Kindhornman, OB is all the rage nowadays, details like room placement don't really matter given that many such units are home made from at best mediocre parts slpped together and based on next to nil knowledge of how it should be done.

Dipoles, oh my. Open back speakers are the most room and placement critical, a waste of time as far as I am concerned.

Kindhornman, OB is all the rage nowadays, details like room placement don't really matter given that many such units are home made from at best mediocre parts slapped together and based on next to nil knowledge of how it should be done.

If it doesn't really matter, then make a infrasonic HP filter anyway you want for the TT/LP junk and you wont hear any difference in music bass timbre/quality...... Just a cleaner (lower distortion) sound... right?
Nope, for all the reasons all ready set out. Briefly, that is there can be intentional recorded content, such as room ambience, that gets discarded, plus filter artefacts effect on timing can extend well into the audioband. Better by far to minimise mechanically originated lf noise at source. Then have any hp eccentricity/warp filter well clear of recorded sub-audio content.

In particular, it measures the impedance curve of the speakers attached, and then uses DSP to get things just right - Yet Another solution to the GD dilemma? ... :D
Just mapping speaker electrical impedance/phase in sinusoid response doesn't do it. Significant contribution to 'dynamic impedance' depends upon the history of what's just happened in the programme material, hence the position and velocity of the speaker driver in the context of the motion it is about to be commanded to perform.

Also, if one looks very carefully at the (scaleless) graphs provided, they could simply be normal min phase when f response is not flat I think.......

I was going to say that to compensate speaker impedance in real time (so as to effectively end up with current drive from a voltage drive amp) requires a time machine to know what comes next - then I realised that in the digital domain time machines are possible, real time can be delayed a second or two and then one has the privilege of knowing the full ask. Not suggesting this implementation does this, just that in principle it may be possible via DSP. Interesting !

George, I have not started looking at it yet but how well does miniDSP handle the large difference in low frequency IIR coefficients?

The MiniShark is a better toy. I have been working with MiniDSP as a development tool for many years now without any problems, regardless of filter slopes or frequencies, but it is time to move on to a FIR engine, so I am about to put in my order.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The MiniShark is a better toy.

Indeed looks quite interesting:

'The Minishark is a gun that can be bought from the Arms Dealer and uses any form of bullet. It has an incredibly high fire rate and a base power of 6, yielding 13 damage with Musket Balls and 15 damage with either Meteor Shot or Silver Bullets. In addition, each shot from the Minishark has a 1 in 3 chance (~33%) of not consuming any ammunition.'

:)

Btw, thanks to Jan I found out about a kit for an accelerometer, designed by George Ntanavaras. He recently started a thread on this forum http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/267734-accelerometer-testing-loudspeaker-drivers.html.

If you are only halfway serious about audio and more specifically loudspeaker development, it is a must have piece of kit. Make FFT´s of panel resonances, look at driver excursion, stuff like that. It is incredibly sensitive, I can pick up the reaction forces of a tweeter on the other side of the enclosure. In short, get your orders in.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Nope, for all the reasons all ready set out. Briefly, that is there can be intentional recorded content, such as room ambience, that gets discarded, plus filter artefacts effect on timing can extend well into the audioband. Better by far to minimise mechanically originated lf noise at source. Then have any hp eccentricity/warp filter well clear of recorded sub-audio content.

No disagreement on where the source is and to reduce the problem at the source if possible - Would totally disagree on not removing the unwanted junk by HP filter when it still exists on a less than perfect TT/LP system. A switchable in-out filter ought to be available on RIAA preamps. That switchability takes care of any potential music info that may be cut in some rare instances. When used for better clarity of the over-all music, the filter just needs to have no listening impact. That is the hard part but not impossible. I'm sure there is an elegant solution.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The MiniShark is a better toy. I have been working with MiniDSP as a development tool for many years now without any problems, regardless of filter slopes or frequencies, but it is time to move on to a FIR engine, so I am about to put in my order.

Do you have a short list of possible makes/models already for FIR? Whose would you suggest (anyone?).

THx-RNMarsh

What about finger's hit ?

It is very difficult not to misread this.:cool:

on a more serious note, Richard, it is a very short list of one at the moment as far as I know. There are reasons for that. Apart from expense and complication, it is more expensive. More numbers need to be stored and crunched. Plus, FIR filters may introduce new kinds of artifacts, nothing comes for free. But the major reason may be that the audible advantages just aren't there. Why else would JBL's new flagship M2 not have linear phase? The package comes with DSP processing as an integral part; a FIR capable DSP wouldn't have broken the bank on a project like that.

My reason to buy a MiniShark is that I want to get in touch with the technology. And I want to experiment with very steep filter slopes, which is impossible without bending back the phase shift they cause.

Last edited:
And I want to experiment with very steep filter slopes, which is impossible without bending back the phase shift they cause.

George didn't seem to mind an 8 pole IIR at 15Hz. If you really want steep rejection at 10 or 15Hz in an FIR they are going to get fairly long. Dick posted the link for offline processing the back and forth IIR is linear phase.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.