John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The model offered by Acoustic Dimension up till a couple of years ago was powder coated in blue.
Oldy page from the site, on the top : Volume control main page, 41 step attenuator, Amtrans, Audio Note, TKD 2CP-2511
Identical to the ones manufactured by Allnic in Korea, if you're lucky the name of the manufacturer is even in copper on the boards inside.(I have a couple of the prettier ones)

They're silver now. And the name of the manufacturer isn't on the circuit boards or anywhere else.

se

I've used thru-hole rivetting. It lets you make a test PCB before getting one printed. When I did some stuff for a small company they couldn't afford to double up on the nonrecurring costs, but I wouldn't order multiple copies at the price prevailing then without a prototype. Thru-holes are a problem for hand made PCBs, it's easiest to make your connections on the solder side.

The system I used was not good. The swaged rivets couldn't be depended on for a contact. You had to individually solder each one, then suck out the solder. With each rivet you had to make sure the solder bridged the rivet and the track. This meant the pad really needed to be oversize, but this is not convenient with e.g. DIPs, which is typically where a track-pin junction might be concealed and require a rivet.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I'd love to see what you will find out with it. I had TA320 for some time but wasn't completely satisfied with it - not enough resolution for my needs. I later upgraded to TA520 (still have it), but it also doesn't have enough resolution to measure jitter in tens of pSec range.

Have you heard an audible change with jitter reduced to the tens of psec? I am expecting to see higher jitter levels.

THx-RNMarsh

Why I don't have a thing about "jitter" is because it's a chicken and egg situation; if the jitter is measurably bad then what is the cause of that? If it happens to be noisy power supply lines then you fix that issue, and then the sound improves; well, the jitter has also improved, so people will say, ah-ha, jitter is better, therefore sound is better! In this case, the level of jitter is a side issue - jumping up and down about getting a magic number of performance there is really missing the point ...

The interesting thing is that if one "artificially" alters jitter, digital manipulation of the source material to mimic the impact of hardware jitter, then around 150 nsecs or so is about the lowest point where people can hear something happening.

No it isn't you are incorrect, the resistivity is the same for both, this is an old myth.
The use of stripline has nothing whatsoever to do with trace resistance. The advantage is when a stripline is done properly between two return paths, and it is down to the wave propagation, quasi TEM.
Look at many PC's and see how many high speed traces run on the outer layers, that work quite well......

References for copper porosity and hydrogen incorporation..

S. Nakahara, Thin Solid Films, 45, 421 (1977).
S. Nakahara, Thin Solid Films, 64, 149 (1979)

References for increased resistivity..

J. C. Patterson, M. O’Reilly, G. M. Crean, and J. Barrett,
Microelectron. Eng., 33, 65 (1997).

S. Lopatin, Y. Shacham-Diamand, V. M. Dubin, P. K. Vasudev,
B. Zhao, and J. Pellerin, in Electrochemically Deposited Thin
Films, M. Paunovic and D. A. Scherson, Eds.,Proceedings, Vol.
19, Electrochemical Society, Pennington, NJ, 1997, p. 271.

M. Dubin, Y. Shacham-Diamand, B. Zhao, P. K. Vasudev, and
C. H. Ting, J. Electrochem. Soc., 144, 898 (1997)

Tohru Hara, Satoshi Kamijima, and Yasuhiro Shimura
Electroplating of Copper Conductive Layer on the Electroless-Plating Copper Seed Layer
Electrochem. Solid-State Lett. 2003 6(1): C8-C11

Thinking about adding jitter to a file, I guess since you know what the wave shape is intended to be, then you could calculate what the sample obtained would be if the sampling instant is moved. So you end up with a different bunch of numbers.

I really bring this up because I think in some quarters that the mechanism whereby jitter is embedded in a file amounts to something more than a different bunch of numbers in the result.

Which is kind of different from what we might attempt in playback, where you might think more in terms of running the DAC from a VCXO and modulating that, but we're saying that it's equivalent in effect.

There is/was a Marconi spectrum analyser, quite a good spec, but had hundreds of those eyelets, after a while they usually went bad, and some poor technician would have to spend a couple of days or so soldering them all up to get rid of the intermittent issues they caused.

TF-2370 by any chance? I had my first summer vacation job at Marconi Instruments in St. Albans. Those 'eyelets' were called 'griplets' by the guys there.

Have you heard an audible change with jitter reduced to the tens of psec? I am expecting to see higher jitter levels.

THx-RNMarsh
Richard, I was interested in low jitter oscillators at a time. I tried to measure jitter of devices that should have jitter numbers in the tens of pSec range theoretically (my own and those offered commercially), but could not verify those numbers in practice with Yokogawas. Therefore, it would be incorrect of me to speak about audibility of jitter in that range.
I did hear an audible change when such oscillator was fitted into 'all in one' CD player or external A/D converter, thou. For me personally, before/after change was huge, for some others it might not matter ;-)

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Off topic, but I was just brought face to face or ear to ear with how terrible-sounding early solid-state could be. The item was an otherwise excellent album with Joe Williams and the Thad Jones-Mel Lewis aggregation. It had an instant family resemblance to what I think was the first album in the series that touted the electronics. I do not know the specific console(s) used.

Of course most of this could be due to miking, but I doubt it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi counter culture,
Why not just solder the top and bottom using component leads for the prototype boards. That solves your pad size problem. Liquid solder flux helps to wet the joint while also discouraging solder bridges. That's how I have always done two sided PCBs.

-Chris

Liquid solder flux helps to wet the joint while also discouraging solder bridges. That's how I have always done two sided PCBs.

Mmmm perhaps this is the solution I've been looking for...for soldering
sockets into older HP gear, w/o getting solder bridge on the other side.

Someone may have suggested it to me in another thread but I was stuck
in anti-flux mode...Now I think I've seen the light.

Thanks brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.