John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, i am convinced it is directly related to the bits. And also, no down conversions and no extra gear involved (as with CD).
THx-RNMarsh

Even an iPod Nano is >16bits. All 16bit audio DAC's that I know of are obsolete and out of production.

Attachments

• philip963as_1.jpg
    philip963as_1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Richard,
You keep referring to not using a CDP to play back music, but unless you have all of your music stored on SSD I don't really see the advantage of a spinning hard drive reading with a magnetic pickup and a CD player? If you are indeed using only SSD drives then I would ask is that SSD internal to a computer or is it satnd alone in your configuration? I see so many problems with internal drives for music storage at a very high level, then you have to deal with all the electrical interferences that are inside every computer that I know of. Even with a NAS server it seems we still have to deal with many of the same issues.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Richard,
You keep referring to not using a CDP to play back music, but unless you have all of your music stored on SSD I don't really see the advantage of a spinning hard drive reading with a magnetic pickup and a CD player? If you are indeed using only SSD drives then I would ask is that SSD internal to a computer or is it satnd alone in your configuration? I see so many problems with internal drives for music storage at a very high level, then you have to deal with all the electrical interferences that are inside every computer that I know of. Even with a NAS server it seems we still have to deal with many of the same issues.

Good question --- yes. all SSD.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Who thinks light is made from particles and who thinks light is from waves?

Whilst the imaging is cool, wave particle duality has been proven to most people's acceptable levels for 30 odd years now, so anyone with high school physics would know about it. Those who have to push silicon process technologies way beyond what was even considered possible 20 years ago are painfully aware of it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Whilst the imaging is cool, wave particle duality has been proven to most people's acceptable levels for 30 odd years now, so anyone with high school physics would know about it. Those who have to push silicon process technologies way beyond what was even considered possible 20 years ago are painfully aware of it.

Guess I should have said -- the first pictures of this duality. What I was taught involved the math of one or the other to find solutions. But admitingly that was a very long time ago. Did we find a way to solve the math without using one or the other? Isnt this the basis of quantum mechanics?

I thought the pictures were very :cool: No? I like how pictures show so much in an instant. First picture of this duality from a test measurement and not a computer construct with math theroy only. BUT until it is measured or seen it remains a theory..... even if applied reasonably successfully for years.

OK..... if it isnt because of the DAC IC itself....as I think Scott alludes to..... then what/where could make such a difference being heard? Or is it an accumulation of errors thruout the systems being compared?

-RM

Last edited:
Guess I should have said -- the first pictures of the duality. Isnt this the basis of quantum mechanics?

QM helps explain the duality, but the basis of QM is the quanta, which has to do with certain things existing only in discrete states (i.e. not analog). It's the basis of the word "quantization" with regards to digital audio.

se

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I havent of course. And I never will. There are plenty of other people who might entertain you that way.... So many people and products devoted to HiRes right now and reviews etc etc. Nothing preventing you though... from doing demos as i described for yourself.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Its because they are all stupid and you are not. Right?

I am Not going to do your work for you. IF you are not interested enough by now to try what I did and listen/measure for yourself... i do not care.

I care about the thoughts of those who will try it and who buy the HiRes equipment and what their findings are.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A lot of assumptions about what I know or dont know or want to know or what I have measued. What I do not want is the same old stuff.

I try to name or provide the link to the source of information

Of course there are many, many details.... none I want to rehash, though. The main difference that I hear between excellently executed designs of 16 and 24b though is the Bits.
Others will have to dispute that for and to themselves.

It is very difficult to trace the root of any acoustic difference. Proving it (to yourself) is even more difficult.

In practice the INL and DNL limit the performance and more bits do nothing.

Attached is an example where more bits worsen INL and DNL.
http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/AD5424_5433_5445.pdf
Identical DAC architecture, different bit depths.
And these are R-2R DACs, much :up: by audiophiles (whereas Delta-Sigma DACs are :down: )

George

Attachments

• DAC 3.JPG
    DAC 3.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Attached is an example where more bits worsen INL and DNL.
http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/AD5424_5433_5445.pdf
Identical DAC architecture, different bit depths.
And these are R-2R DACs, much :up: by audiophiles (whereas Delta-Sigma DACs are :down: )

George

I use the DAC used by BenchMark-2. measured at least 21b in practice.

A bazillion people have been doing this for awhile ---- download a 24b/96+ played into a very good D-Sigma DAC and to a very clean PA and low distortion speakers or headphones. Use a CD from the same recording and compare the performances. It really isnt hard or any tricks involved. If there is an improvement/more accurate then why is that?

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Its because they are all stupid and you are not. Right?

If "they" are as devoid of basic reasoning skills as you are, then the answer is "yes."

I am Not going to do your work for you.

It's not my work to do. It is yours. You are the one making the claims. The onus is you to substantiate those claims with something more than hand-waving and foot-stomping. If it's beyond your capacity to understand this, then you're just a quack wasting other people's time.

IF you are not interested enough by now to try what I did and listen/measure for yourself... i do not care.

"Listening" under uncontrolled conditions doesn't cut it. If it did, then you should also be preaching that people should be putting photographs of themselves in their freezers to make their systems sound better.

se

A bazillion people have been doing this for awhile ---- download a 24b/96+ played into a very good D-Sigma DAC and to a very clean PA and low distortion speakers. Use a CD from the same recording and compare the performances. It really isnt hard or any tricks involved.

THx-RNMarsh

And we have posted numerous instances where they could not tell the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.