John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
> we are trying to do a crazy low noise FET amp and sneak it under the radar of the current establishment......

I think you did not mean AD8429 ?
150nA input bias current does not sound like FET input ??

:)

Good to see this stuff, the FET amp is on the drawing board but I don't see improving on the 2.9nV of the AD743/5. The 50pF input capacitance of that part limits the applications.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Low noise is oddy on topic tho. I still dream one day of finding an MC2000 on ebay for non-silly money. No logical reason but I want one. And I believe JC made one of only about 3 phonos that could handle its output without a transformer.

The MC2000 was nuts. Output of 0.05mV, compliance of a VST-V and possibly the last of the MCs to be truly flat in FR. Oh and looked cool with its ceramic body. It dares you to try and make it actually work.

I await any of your findings. In the future (at least for the next year) if you need something just ask.
Ok thanks, there are a couple of things, I'll get back to you on that in a while.
You sneaking 'foreigner' projects past the boss gives me a smile.
In the mean time, it's high time I extract the digit and complete my T&M bench in the garage.
Ideal environment...steel construction, away from RF sources, I can run the whole room on multiple isolated or regenerated AC power feeds and run multiple dedicated earthing stakes.
I'll see what I can come up with....maybe meaningful measurements of BQP too ;).

Dan.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Dimiti's measurements and the DS don't match. He measured 3nV at 1mA Id, and it should be almost the same as BF862. It seems the graph does not match the table?

Yes, the 743 die is too big (someone here uses it as an avatar). :)

I just now measured a BF862 N-jFET with Quan-Tech ----

10Hz 100Hz 1KHz 10KHz 100KHz

4.5nV 1.5 .75 .6 .5nV at 5v D-S/6mA

The noise is worse at 1 mA.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I just now measured a BF862 N-jFET with Quan-Tech ----

10Hz 100Hz 1KHz 10KHz 100KHz

4.5nV 1.5 .75 .6 .5nV at 5v D-S/6mA

The noise is worse at 1 mA.

THx-RNMarsh

Another measurement... same 5V/6mA and same p/n:

10nV 2.7 .8 .7 .5

[Approx 30nV at 1mA at 10Hz ]

Fantastic device above 100Hz. Even for this device and others which are worse, the noise rise at 10Hz might best be rolled off/attenuated if going into a sensitive ADC.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Waly's post about BF862 markings: 2Ap means HK, 2Aw China.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/229827-nxp-bf862-warning.html

Lets stir the pot a bit ;)

NXP Knowledge Base
Transistors :: NXP Semiconductors

Quote 1:
Q: I'm using NXP's BF862's (JFETs but MOSFET was the nearest I could see in your list of choices here). Packages are marked "2AW", but datasheet says they should be marked "2Ap". Can you please tell me what device has a "2Ap" marking on a SOT23 package?

A: For the BF862 the marking code is 2A*, with *="W", or "p". "W" = made in China. "p" = made Hong-Kong. This info can also be found in our nxp_rf_manual, paragraph 6.2 (Marking code list).

Quote 2:
The BF862 is converted to leadfree in week 34 2003.
Latest datecode for Pb containing products is therefore July 2003: 37.
But as we only use only one digit for the year, datecodes beginning with 0, 1 and 2 can be products from 2010, 2011 and 2012.
Probably products from 2000, 2001 and 2002 have a 'p' as vendor code. Products from 2010, 2011 and 2012 have definitely 't' or 'W' as vendor code in the marking.

Quote 3:
The "p" or "w"are indiction for the assmebly centre. The product are qual, only from different package assembly site:
"p" = made in Hong Kong, "t" = made in Malaysia and "W" = made in China.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.