John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
@keantoken

I read the text, but it's way over my head. Besides, since my wife is a professor of pharmacology, she has to take into account such things, so she "translated" it for me.

It seems the main benefit is the range of its effect, it appears to be very beneficial for an unusually large scope of problems and illnesses. The actual weight loss will also depend on personal body chemistry, so some will lose more and others less. Overall, if one's diet is well put together by a qualified dietician, it seems to have almost zero negative effects, so the risk is small.

What y'all Texans worried about, you have what is probably the bnest T-bone steak in this solar system?

Yeah, I was really cringing when this topic came up. Research is easy to take ridiculously out of context or misinterpret. News articles on scientific research almost always give the wrong idea, and you usually can't know what the research paper itself means unless you have enough background to interpret and sanity-check the paper.

Don't eat meat, eat mostly protein and forget the carbs.
Eat carbs and low on the protein.
Drink coffee, don't drink coffee.
Butters bad but butter is better than margarine.
Eat fish but don't eat fish, it could have mercury in it
Eat rice, no rice contains arsenic from the soil.
\
Every study you see has a counter study confusing the issues. Nobody knows enough to make definitive statements. My grandparents and relatives lived into their late 90's and ate what they wanted but in much smaller portions and walked a lot, they didn't sit in a chair all day. Eat what you want without excess of anything and get your butt out of the chair and get outside. Enjoy some sun but not to much and hopefully you got a good set of genetics. Make sire you can see your toes when you look down and you may just be happy and healthy.

And because of the "publish or perish" prevailing logic in the world academic community, they are often very roundabout regarding both effects and risks.

In 1974, butter was a mass murderer on the loose, in 1975 it became a cure-all, in 1976 it was killing us again, etc. A proxy battle between the butter and margerine industries.

The basic, tried and true, diet is still what it was in 1930 or so:

1. Breakfast - eat anything you like, this meal always gets all used up druting a typical day;

2. Lunch - eat carefully, accent on vegetables and especially fresh veg salads, and

3. Dinner - never at it after 8 PM, always stay up for at least 2 hours afterwards, keep it down to fresh veg salads.

Also, try to kick out bread altogether - that's my nemesis, I love fresh, still warm bread.

\
Every study you see has a counter study confusing the issues. Nobody knows enough to make definitive statements. My grandparents and relatives lived into their late 90's and ate what they wanted but in much smaller portions and walked a lot, they didn't sit in a chair all day. Eat what you want without excess of anything and get your butt out of the chair and get outside. Enjoy some sun but not to much and hopefully you got a good set of genetics. Make sire you can see your toes when you look down and you may just be happy and healthy.

WRONG!!!

Pork for example contains some lipides we vitally need as nothing else. But definitely limit the amount and keep it to once a week.

DO NOT give up on fish, either. Vitamin and phosphates rich, actually as good for our brain as onion (doesn't have too much phosphates, but it has exactly what we need in fresh form).

You should post your question on a proper scientific forum, but this study looks somewhat "oriented", or biased. I am no expert in this field, but I can recognize typical signs, such as a "panacea" effect on a variety of ailments. The facts and figures cited might be correct, but putting them together in a specific and foreign context could be misleading.

dvv,
My mother is a nurse, my father was a bio-analyst and I grew up testing peoples blood and other body fluids when young and working in my fathers lab. I eat what I want but do now limit the quantities of certain things in my diet. I am not a fanatic but watch what I eat. I have been eating veggies for years and love them and eat a big salad every day and that is not just lettuce I am talking about. If fish wasn't so expensive I would eat even more of it but I try to eat lean meats. Lots of olive oil in my cooking also. Tomatoes every day and many now from the garden outside. I don't eat much bread but I do enjoy some nice garlic bread when I make it.

I don't think anyone has the answers yet to the best diet but there are clues in the average life expectancy of certain groups of people. My sister hasn't touched meat in years but eats fish and other sources of protein. Some swear by yogurt which I like very much and others stay away from any dairy products. I think it has as much to do with our genetic makeup as anything else and how we take care of ourselves. I would love to visit Eastern Europe as that is where all of my ancestors originated besides the Dutch and German I also have. Most all of the family history was lost to the war and so it goes.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks , Need to adjust your azimuth ...

You are welcome.
Sharp eye! This is not due to wrong azimuth.
It is due to the dynamic modulation of the skating force, something I have rumbled about again.

See at attachment 1 the antiskating profile across the record. I have opted to adjust the antiskating for good balance at the inner grooves with relative high modulation velocities. The sensitive low level pink noise shows good results also around the middle of the record.

Next at attachment 2 you can see the influence of the modulation velocity on the skating force and the inevitable incapability of the antiskating mechanism to compensate.

Note that the tip is spherical and the tracking force set at it’s upper limit.
Elliptical tips show this effect more dramatically. Super ellipticals, even more.

Mr. Curl, thank you.

SY, a domani.

The basic, tried and true, diet is still what it was in 1930 or so:
Also

OMG! I don’t know if we will have a chance to meet in the future.:D What’s in your list, I did (do) exactly the opposite :usd:

George

Attachments

• Att 1 Side 2 Tracks 1,4,8 plus pink noise.JPG
    Att 1 Side 2 Tracks 1,4,8 plus pink noise.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Att 2 Side 1 tracks 6,7,8,9.JPG
    Att 2 Side 1 tracks 6,7,8,9.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 179
You should post your question on a proper scientific forum, but this study looks somewhat "oriented", or biased. I am no expert in this field, but I can recognize typical signs, such as a "panacea" effect on a variety of ailments. The facts and figures cited might be correct, but putting them together in a specific and foreign context could be misleading.

You would expect nutritional ketosis to have strong effects good or bad, since you are changing the fundamental energy source for your body. You cause your body to burn fat rather than carbs. It takes several weeks for the body to adapt to producing different digestion chemicals and for organs to adapt to burning fat as fuel. It would be remarkable if the difference wasn't very large. Whether good or bad, that is the question.

Animal fats shouldn't be feared. It's important to have good quality fats so you can digest fat-soluble vitamins D/E/A/K etc. Fats from animals eating their natural diet are abundant in these.

\

Kinda like audio , negative feedback is good , no bad , little is good , too much is good, JFets , IC's , No Mosfets , too much confusion , too little time , this is why i listen to the plastic guy , the great scientist , he knows everything....

:drink:

dvv,
My mother is a nurse, my father was a bio-analyst and I grew up testing peoples blood and other body fluids when young and working in my fathers lab. I eat what I want but do now limit the quantities of certain things in my diet. I am not a fanatic but watch what I eat. I have been eating veggies for years and love them and eat a big salad every day and that is not just lettuce I am talking about. If fish wasn't so expensive I would eat even more of it but I try to eat lean meats. Lots of olive oil in my cooking also. Tomatoes every day and many now from the garden outside. I don't eat much bread but I do enjoy some nice garlic bread when I make it.

I don't think anyone has the answers yet to the best diet but there are clues in the average life expectancy of certain groups of people. My sister hasn't touched meat in years but eats fish and other sources of protein. Some swear by yogurt which I like very much and others stay away from any dairy products. I think it has as much to do with our genetic makeup as anything else and how we take care of ourselves. I would love to visit Eastern Europe as that is where all of my ancestors originated besides the Dutch and German I also have. Most all of the family history was lost to the war and so it goes.

Cooking with olive oil , unless you talking about Popeye 's girlfriend i would watch that..:)

By the way best thing anyone can do is excercise , min 20 mins aerobic activity per day ...

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Nothing wrong with meat - unless it is mercury laden or some other weird stuff added to its diet.... and the fat is OK.... unless you are on a diet and counting calories. Nothing too bad about olive oil... unless you cook it to a high temperature. Or dont need to care about the huge calories per tspn (120 calories per tiny spoon full). There are many 'conditions' to just about everything.
But keep the meat/products to less than 20% of your calories (6-8oz/day) .... unless you are a high risk taker.

Exercise is an absolute necessity... not to just rev up your metabolism but moving the muscles is the way the fluids move thru the lymphatic system to remove toxins etc. That is to say, exercise also improves the immune system.

-RM

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Richard Marsh's 1980 discrete phono preamp used 24 volt bipolar rails. Borbely used 24 volt bipolar supplies in his discrete jfet phono designs.
John what rail voltages in the Orion/Pegasus ?
Part of the perceived performance of discrete phono stages may well be the ability to use higher rail voltages with higher OL margins and fewer clipping incidents with faster recovery times for vinyl defects.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I dont think this is neceasily true.

opamp EQ'sa run off +-15V - so 30V in total and getting fast response/recovery is easy provided you can drive the EQ network satisfactorily. As I mentioned earlier, >30 dB OLM across the audio band is easy with opamps. The main thing is you dont the system to clip on transients - thats whe the recovery problems might show themselves.

dvv,

Agreed.

I talked with my wife again and I'd like to correct myself from yesterday: one of the oleic acids we need to do well (meaning not vital, but highly recommended) can ONLY be found in pork.

She told me that it's really not possible to determine how much and how often, because it's an individual trait how much of it one's organism requires and how much can it absorb in one sitting. Some will be happy with barbecued pork once a month, others may require it once weekly, it's rather heueristic, try it and see, find your own measure.

As for Eastern Europe, it's a rather interesting region, a region of contrasts, Many similaritiesm but also glaring differences. In some ways, it's much more interesting than other regions because it hasn't been totally corrupted by the consumer society model yet. Some ancient crafts can still be found, and hospitality is still a God's commandment.

Status
Not open for further replies.