John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, yes I was perfectly serious, and also intended as a recognition of the concepts that JC has been espousing for decades.
It seems that some don't quite grasp the fundamental importance of these concepts (zero loop feedback and very low frequency 1/f noise corner) approaches/results.

Wayne, I'm not fully sure where you are alluding to....servo DC stabilisation stages perhaps ?.

Dan.

Last edited:
Well since the derogatory comments were phrased as questions, I'll continue, but with a warning that any derogatory comments will halt the process.

But since Max was serious, lets step back a bit and say audio circuitry. He has amplifiers, preamplifiers and phono stages (which today are a separate specialty.) So lets see who can apply a serious answer as to where the use of op amps would have most benefit and still have critical requirements?

Exactly what does "benefit" refer to? Benefit in what sense?

If in real estate size, in many areas, they are naturally more compact, they eat up less space and often require fewer parts to work.

One could almost say price wise as well, but here the question of electrical parameters necessarily crops up. Some may benefit, but others will surely degrade, most notably output current capability and dynamic range, given that the typical op amp PSU lines are at +/- 15V, while for discrete, the sky's the limit.

So, you need ask more specifically to get any meaningful answers.

Exactly what does "benefit" refer to? Benefit in what sense?

If in real estate size, in many areas, they are naturally more compact, they eat up less space and often require fewer parts to work.

One could almost say price wise as well, but here the question of electrical parameters necessarily crops up. Some may benefit, but others will surely degrade, most notably output current capability and dynamic range, given that the typical op amp PSU lines are at +/- 15V, while for discrete, the sky's the limit.

So, you need ask more specifically to get any meaningful answers.

So lets look at benefits, cost is usually first, reducing circuit complexity is often second, now some would add improving reliability, other might even say there is an increase in performance. But What JC is looking at is the limit of performance so we just might want to consider that a liability, not a benefit.

So the question is still open where would audio circuits benefit? One example would be in the front end of a power amplifier. Conversely it most likely would not be in the power stages of a power amplifier.

SY in the game of musical chairs you are the first one out.

So lets look at benefits, cost is usually first, reducing circuit complexity is often second, now some would add improving reliability, other might even say there is an increase in performance. But What JC is looking at is the limit of performance so we just might want to consider that a liability, not a benefit.

So the question is still open where would audio circuits benefit? One example would be in the front end of a power amplifier. Conversely it most likely would not be in the power stages of a power amplifier.

SY in the game of musical chairs you are the first one out.

In terms of cost, they are the likely winners in many cases, but not all, since some better op amps are costly enought not to reap those benefits.

Reducing circuit complexity, in absolute yes, but relative to some performance aspects no.

Greater reliability - well, in terms of reducing circuit complexty, I suppose so, but I have no idea how their longevity compares to discrete in absolute terms.

Increasing performance - perhaps some apsects of performance, but others definitely not. Use op amps and you can forget any larger currents. True, you can add discrete current boosters, but then you give up the benefits of lesser circuit complexity and the price advantage starts to fade.

Despite some shinig examples, such as the German made Burmester preamps of yore, op amps are at this time still the economy solution, relegated to the mid Fi at best. Even though they have improved tremendously over the last 25 years or so.

The only places for them in top flight audio, I think, could be linear input buffers and servos. Some have used them as input stages even for power amps, BGW comes to mind, but others did so as well.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Ed, no offense intended, but really. You want us to match that incredible insight?
Is that the level this is going to be on?

Jan

"Dave Wilson believe 's the best at low voltage amplification"

a.wayne,
That would only point at one thing these days I imagine and that would be for MC phono stages. What I would really like to know is what is John doing today to further the field, not how to reuse something that he has done 40 years ago? Where is his thinking today. is there some new direction that he is trying to go or will he stand on his past accomplishments and just keep repackaging those same circuits?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
:up:
Ed, I know you are very supportive of John, and that's appreciated.
But are you also coaching him, to wisper in his ears what it really takes to get up on top with new, unexpected circuit tricks to show he is the master he thinks himself he is?
Because rehashing 40+ years old circuits interspersed with because I say so will only make matters worse.
You have your job cut out for you.

Jan

Last edited:
No not just phono stages, all low voltage amp stages, for me JC was the one that set the standard, in the 70's , of course there were others and JC was not known to me before his early Levinson work, it's a shame the dogma here, especially when he's being rhetorical.

:p

Mostly from those noted for nothing but low feedback dogma ..:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.