John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you learn from this website? You pontificate a great deal about what you know, but what have you learned that would make your time here, during working hours, useful to YOUR employer?
I've developed significant skin theory understandings. For superconductors, that is ALL they do as they have infinite conductivity. My learnings, many prompted through the experience of forums like this, have allowed me to actually advance the SOTA of super magnet designing, building, and testing. No other facility on the planet is capable of what had been done. Yet. I freely give this knowledge to all facilities who ask, as there have been many erroneous understandings of superconductors in the past.

I've developed significant ground loop theory, practice, and understandings which allow me to design wiring schemes capable of preventing unwanted ground loop coupling to several thousand distributed multikilowatt switchmode power supplies in a billion dollar machine. Other facilities on the planet fight with this unwanted coupling problem, typically applying filters to the signals rather than understanding and preventing them. This is caused directly by the physics guys using single ended instrumentation, they cannot go balanced for the application.

I've advanced understandings on inductances, design, build, and measurement. As a result, several thousand purchased and installed room temp magnets do not have time varying magnetic field problems, typical of previously designed magnets. This understanding has been distributed to 7 magnet manufacturing facilities around the world. It will be applied to medical beam delivery synchrotrons built in the future, proton therapy and carbon 12 systems to wit. This was evident with the ed simon stuff, remember? As a result of that, I developed better understandings of how to test out wire eddy losses vs iron core losses vs external object dissipative losses. A key ingredient in the ITER 3 gigajoule main solenoid, where plasma initiation is a huge non linear, time varying load which impacts the ability to determine if the superconductor has quenched or not..an undetected quench is what destroyed 150 million dollars worth of hardware in the LHC.

I've built up significant soldering expertise, directly applicable to the equipment we build, spec and purchase, and assembling big machines. (LHC did not follow given advice, so ended up spending big time to fix the explosion.) Others have followed, with no untoward events resulting.

In other words, the back and forth, the speculations, the observations, the experts and laymen alike on forums like this, all stimulate creative thinking to me, and as a result, I both learn and teach.

I would not be here if it did not advance my knowledge, stimulate creative thinking, or be of any benefit to my employ.

jn

ps. This post took 7 minutes to type.

pps. The advances I've stated would not have been possible by me if I had never seen technical issues which plague consumer and pro audio. Also, I've met here some of the highest level technical people on the planet, they give their knowledge freely when I ask. So, what was the question again?

Last edited:
I've developed significant skin theory understandings. For superconductors, that is ALL they do as they have infinite conductivity. My learnings, many prompted through the experience of forums like this, have allowed me to actually advance the SOTA of super magnet designing, building, and testing. No other facility on the planet is capable of what had been done. Yet. I freely give this knowledge to all facilities who ask, as there have been many erroneous understandings of superconductors in the past.

I've developed significant ground loop theory, practice, and understandings which allow me to design wiring schemes capable of preventing unwanted ground loop coupling to several thousand distributed multikilowatt switchmode power supplies in a billion dollar machine. Other facilities on the planet fight with this unwanted coupling problem, typically applying filters to the signals rather than understanding and preventing them. This is caused directly by the physics guys using single ended instrumentation, they cannot go balanced for the application.

I've advanced understandings on inductances, design, build, and measurement. As a result, several thousand purchased and installed room temp magnets do not have time varying magnetic field problems, typical of previously designed magnets. This understanding has been distributed to 7 magnet manufacturing facilities around the world. It will be applied to medical beam delivery synchrotrons built in the future, proton therapy and carbon 12 systems to wit. This was evident with the ed simon stuff, remember? As a result of that, I developed better understandings of how to test out wire eddy losses vs iron core losses vs external object dissipative losses. A key ingredient in the ITER 3 gigajoule main solenoid, where plasma initiation is a huge non linear, time varying load which impacts the ability to determine if the superconductor has quenched or not..an undetected quench is what destroyed 150 million dollars worth of hardware in the LHC.

I've built up significant soldering expertise, directly applicable to the equipment we build, spec and purchase, and assembling big machines. (LHC did not follow given advice, so ended up spending big time to fix the explosion.) Others have followed, with no untoward events resulting.

In other words, the back and forth, the speculations, the observations, the experts and laymen alike on forums like this, all stimulate creative thinking to me, and as a result, I both learn and teach.

I would not be here if it did not advance my knowledge, stimulate creative thinking, or be of any benefit to my employ.

jn

ps. This post took 7 minutes to type.

pps. The advances I've stated would not have been possible by me if I had never seen technical issues which plague consumer and pro audio. Also, I've met here some of the highest level technical people on the planet, they give their knowledge freely when I ask. So, what was the question again?

John had a moment , he had a flashback , remembered his office roommate , so he wanted to report you ... :)

:rofl:

You should write a book, JN!
Quite honestly, I've been considering that. I've a few topics that I believe I have valuable information which should be passed on, but a book is an awful lot of time commitment. I can't even seem to get the one article I've discussed with jan finished, it's been a year at least.

At the moment, I'm more than happy to share with others here, I learn a lot myself that way.

jn

What's it to you? Are you JC's defender? I'm sure he can answer posts addressed to himself :D

You did notice I included "anyone else" in my original statement?
Now see how silly your comment was? Anyone has the right to post their opinions on here so cool your jets. :soapbox:

Answering a question by another question is a sure fire indication that the person asked first has no meaningful answer.

As you just demonstrated.

………………………………………………………………………………. Anyone has the right to post their opinions on here so cool your jets. :soapbox:

Unfortunately you too often express your opinions in a vindictive manner. That you have a right to hold those views is one thing, but whether you should decide to post them, expressed as they are, is another matter.

And do please tell us why you hate JC to the extent you continually express?

Unfortunately you too often express your opinions in a vindictive manner. That you have a right to hold those views is one thing, but whether you should decide to post them, expressed as they are, is another matter.

And do please tell us why you hate JC to the extent you continually express?

Sorry if your perceptions of how I respond isn't the same as mine.
I get tired of subjective blather when it's easier to test and post the results instead of taking up pages and pages on here that end up showing us nothing.

I'm not on here to join the JC Fan Club. What are the dues you pay by the way?:p

Status
Not open for further replies.