John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
@ janneman,

we should avoid to use (d)blind as a synonym for a ´good´ test.

´Blind´ or ´double blind´ is only a certain part of the test protocol, but is in no way sufficient.

Maybe we could introduce something like ´real´ test or ´o.r.v.´ test . :)

True. How about 'controlled test' versus 'uncontrolled test'?

jd

@ janneman,

´controlled´ is necessary but not sufficient while ´orv´ is comprehensive.

Of course, you´re right ´orv´ will most likely not suceed. :)
Maybe something like ´competent´ or ´qualified´ could serve.

You are right bear. What will come out of that test will be that all competently designed
electronics sound the same. So let´s make our products cheaper and smaller as Peter Walker was sugesting.

An objective, reliable and valid test would most probably bring a positive result (rejection of the null hypothesis) if a difference is audible (at least to one listener on earth)

I agree with Bear and Joachim. We all know that IF we have to prove what we hear everyday with 'approved' double-blind tests, that we might as well find something else to do. They just do not show enough difference to make anything, except perhaps loudspeakers, a design challenge.
Yet, I trudge on, making design after design.
Most serious users of the Blowtorch had both a digital and a vinyl source, and sometimes, like me, an FM tuner, preferably tube.
Several used a modified digital source that was originally designed by Damian Martin. I lost out in getting one of these, but we did use it for CES shows, and it was pretty darn good.
Many use a good turntable for vinyl like the Rockport, but I am happy with a Linn Sondek. Everybody used a Vendetta Research SCP-2 in my group, either internal or external for phono amplification.

we are testing humans, not machines.
there will be emotional stress, like a test anxiety.
that will interfere with the hearing of the subtleties of the listening experience.

So all of sensory research (visual, auditory, organoleptic, haptic) needs to be thrown out since all tests are conducted double-blind?

How is it that in the same controlled tests of audibility, subjects are able to demonstrate great sensitivity to level, frequency response, polarity, noise, compression, overload, recovery...?

The Dragon In My Garage

So all of sensory research (visual, auditory, organoleptic, haptic) needs to be thrown out since all tests are conducted double-blind?

i'm not saying that at all

try as a test:
build two identical boxes
label one A, the other B
in one, build the test circuit.
in the other, wire it straight through.
don't tell the testee anything about this.
let the testee take the setup home, and merely evaluate which is preferred.
afterwards, randomly switch or not the circuit guts and repeat the test again.
add a third person to switch the guts or arrange for the test if you wish double blind.
have fun

myr: How does that relieve the "test anxiety" you postulated? It's still a blind test (paired preference), still a human test subject, still a "test." It's no different that the preamp switching test I asked John to do at his home- and it doesn't overcome his special pleading.

If you're testing components, the boxes must remain under the supervision of the test administrator or some other third party- too easy to measure differences, and test gear is FAR more sensitive than the human senses.

SY I have told you for years that I can't pass double blind test. I would appreciate that you refrain from pestering me to do something that I will only fail. I believe that there is an inherent problem with the test for audio, and I have stated the same thing for more than 30 years. You can believe what you want, SY, but please leave me alone with my convictions.

myr: How does that relieve the "test anxiety" you postulated? It's still a blind test (paired preference), still a human test subject, still a "test." It's no different that the preamp switching test I asked John to do at his home- and it doesn't overcome his special pleading.
it's not a 'test'
just a casual 'preference evaluation'
If you're testing components, the boxes must remain under the supervision of the test administrator or some other third party- too easy to measure differences, and test gear is FAR more sensitive than the human senses.

so, you do not trust the testees

Status
Not open for further replies.