John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those so worried about passive connector degradation, Frank, why not put some dielectric grease on those connections?
I presume you mean grease with conductive properties, dielectric normally means non-conductive silicone compounds. And, yes, I have used the silver grease and variants for quite some time, and have found them to work, long term - not the expensive, audiophile variants, just the standard stuff.

The main things are to very thoroughly clean before applying, only use just enough to do the job, the less the better; apply as much pressure as possible to the parts so that excess is squeezed out - and most important of all, once in place do not disturb. If for any reason the connection is undone, or jiggled, then treat as a bad connection, and go through the whole procedure again ...

Edit: I have tried 'squeaky clean', and tight connectors, many times - and it's never done the job for me, it always degrades unfortunately

Last edited:
Yet, Stabilant 22 is NOT conductive. It is more complex...

What you want to understand is the concept of surfactants, specifically nonionic surfactants. In the now-long-expired patent, DW claims that it somehow switches conductivity on and off, which is highly doubtful. But as a surfactant, it can help soften and allow penetration of contact dirt. Because it's nonionic, it won't tend to cause an unintended electrochemical reaction.

Study the subject, fas42. Silicone grease is a no-no. Yet, Stabilant 22 is NOT conductive. It is more complex, but you can learn with Google.
John, thanks for that, but I went through the whole Cramolin, etc, thing quite some time ago - and it just didn't work. Short term, yes, but the degradation still occurred - only was less noticeable as it was occurring. This was determined by pulling the connections, thoroughly cleaning with solvents and retrying with a bare connection - ah-ha, sound is back to normal ...

Tried several times, never was happy with the behaviour - hardwiring made the problem go away, permanently.

I've read accounts of people going off the silver greases, but my suspicion is that they overdo them, use far too much and are generally sloppy about how they go about applying and maintaining them - I noted at one stage that the highly regarded Sanyo OS-CON caps uses the substance internally on junctions.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I recently replaced an Electroswitch 23 position 4 pole balanced 10k pot made with non magnetic Holco resistors with remotely controlled Omron G6K relay selected Vishay bulk foil resistors. I had put off the change for years expecting I was trading the convienience of remote controlled relays for a loss of resolution, but was pleasantly surprised at the improvement in low level detail and resolution that I heard.

Last edited:
I had put off the change for years expecting I was trading the convienience of remote controlled relays for a loss of resolution, but was pleasantly surprised at the improvement in low level detail and resolution that I heard.
Low level detail, and treble clarity is what's gained - the ability to hear deep within the recording soundscape is greatly enhanced, IME, with improved connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.