John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
If used once, you have to use it always or you listen to added noise.
The added noise can not be removed, i dont know what is the mechanism doing that.
I just have an idea, but dont know how to check it out.
I never use liquids when playing records, it causes some audible damage.

Anyway, water cools the contact point, thus the vinyl/stylus resonance point is modified. ( towards lowering freq, normally apx 20 Khz, so its sounding brighter)
Makes different sound.

Hollow cantilevers soak up some water ( Capillareffect), maybe this is not so good for the cantilver assembly.
I think the explanation is that dry played vinyl deforms with heat of the stylus, but springs back.
Wet playing chills the vinyl too quickly, and the deformations become permanent......IIRC.

Dan.

Some real world figures would be a good idea, as we seem to be jumping on to the all relays are bad road, when I have heard some comments where they are used in demanding low voltage/low current measurement with no problems. So like all possible causes of problems the whole facts should be examined, and for all possible suitable relay types for audio use.
Again do they add distortion or is it just some added resistance, and is it of a level that we should be concerned about, or are there other problems that would be better looked at.
That said I only usually use one source these days (digital) so don't have extra switches or relays in the signal path. One of my Cats ate my tone arm!

One question that has always nagged me....

Does/can the coil magnetic field (or permanent magnets in bi stable relays) exert any influence on the switched (audio) signal ?.

Dan.

If the cantelever arm moves in a magnetic field, dc or otherwise, there can be a voltage impressed upon it. So yes, there is indeed a possibility determined by design.

Once the parts are settled into a static position, then no.

jn

Vinyl has an elasticy modul which cause the Fres at apx. 20 Kz.
Liquid cooling will harden the surface, so the fres shifts higher( not lower, sorry, i made a mistake due language in 50300).
But the heat is generated at a very small contact area in very short time and i suppose the the coolin liquid can absorb this faster , causing the deformation.
But like i said, i do not know how check this out properly.

You may think abouth cutting heads.
ALL of them use a heating system for the cutter to ensure that the groove is cutted like necessary and avoid to much resonance.
Thereafter the records should chill out at least 30 minutes, better a half day to avoid errors, since they are sensible for temperature changes.

Also when records have been cleaned with vacuum style cleaners, they need to warm up to room temperature before use, otherwise they sound bright and are damaged nearly like wet played ones. Thats my experience.

All the relays have contact segments riveted to each other sometimes with weak force. Rotary switches are much better. Remote control with relays or ultimate sound, that is the question.

These badly riveted :)rolleyes:) contacts are where, exactly?

Attachments

• reedswitch.jpg
    reedswitch.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 213
I'll take a good quality sealed relay over any rotary switch.

Do you believe in contacts influence on sound quality? Have you ever heard difference between firm and slack connector?
I destroyed, for educational reasons, two top quality sealed PCB relay and I told myself not to use these devices in the signal path. First rate XLR and RCA connectors on enclosure and then a few suspect riveting for precious audio signal. Rotary switch have one piece contact and is self wiping by rotation, I even put a drop of contact enhancer.
Various crimped Molex connectors often used are also sound killers.

Status
Not open for further replies.