John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Triodethom,
No the Earth is flat, the sun revolves around the earth which is the center of the universe and there is no such thing as evolution. If you believe any of these facts you are in John's camp.

You seem to want to defend his Bybee nonsense. perhaps you know something the rest of us are to stupid to understand.
Do not tell anyone (sarcasm may or may not been used in my post) As far as I can tell no one on this thread will buy any Bybee's products to berate John for being willing to explore and seek knowledge serve no one . I stated knowledge not truth is being hunted here.

It is truly remarkable that no-one seems to have any interest in system engineering, it's always the micro-obsession with whether a certain part has obvious, measurable behaviours - if the latter aren't there it must be a completely inert object, as far as system behaviour is concerned - this is the thinking on show here.

No wonder poor old audio is still stuck in the doldrums it's in - no real interest in trying to understand the more subtle, subjectively relevant behaviours, which IME are key to getting higher levels of performance.

Frank some facts please on anything you want to talk about. But prose are all we get about micro this and tweaking that. All I have ever seen you positively say is that you solder all connections and don't like connectors.

Hitsware,
Thanks for the English lesson, sometimes we just miss those simple things.

As far as I can tell no one on this thread will buy any Bybee's products to berate John for being willing to explore and seek knowledge serve no one .

FWIW. With other items from Percy Audio, I happened to purchase a pair of Bybee's and installed them in the circuit in a location that John Curl recommended (in the AC lines). I'm not a listening test or a golden ears guy, so I don't have impressions to pass on. Other than because of hum at full volume from the choke power supply adding about 40 pounds of cold rolled sheet steel (and mu metal) for shielding does make an audible improvement.

John, in one of the threads noted above, it is stated that QP's require extended (200 hrs) 'burn in' ....is this still necessary ?.
With my solution, on very large stadium systems, curiously I find ten to fifteen or more seconds is required for the change to propagate, and proportionately lesser time on club sized systems.

Dan.

Frank some facts please on anything you want to talk about. But prose are all we get about micro this and tweaking that. All I have ever seen you positively say is that you solder all connections and don't like connectors.
Hmmm ... let me see ... I think I might have mentioned power supplies, and interference suppression, and warm up conditioning, and damping of resonant behaviour, and ... :confused:, :).

I see a system failure as one where the individual subsystems may be beautifully engineered in particular ways, but the end combination fails ... badly - and I hear this over and over again with audio systems - they turn a well known music track into an almost unlistenable to mess, a torture session. Unless the end goal - competent replay of recorded music - is held uppermost, then all the other fine fiddling is of little consequence.

Since I've experienced competent replay from systems where the subsystems - amplifier, speakers, etc - are no more than just reasonable, certainly nothing special, then the only conclusion I can come to is that worrying about the 'silly little things' is very important - the fine tuning of a subsystem may be very satisfying, indeed a very worthy, valuable activity ... but it should never be mistaken for "the solution" ...

Last edited:
John, in one of the threads noted above, it is stated that QP's require extended (200 hrs) 'burn in' ....is this still necessary ?.
With my solution, on very large stadium systems, curiously I find ten to fifteen or more seconds is required for the change to propagate, and proportionately lesser time on club sized systems.

It's always nice to see the younger generation pick up the torch as the older generation falters.

A way of looking at the dog fights here, is that on one side you have those who use or do something because they find that it works, without fulling understanding why it does so - and on the other you have those who absolutely refuse do anything unless they fully understand why it should do something of value.

Good thing we didn't have too many of the latter around when man was living in caves ... ;)

Last edited:
Frank,
If it wasn't for the fact that I have done so many things in my professional life that I have been told were impossible I could see where you are coming from. But the reality is that even though I have done things I have been told wouldn't work and made them work I understand that the things I have done had a real scientific reason for working or just an application of real science that was just not tried before. But I am not going to say I can turn lead into gold, and I am not going to say I can go faster than the speed of light.

John brought up Nano technology and this is real and we can talk about that, but not some principal that defies the laws of physics as we know them. Unless you are going to throw out all of electromagnetic theory there are things that we just know cannot work the way they are being presented.

Yes, there is always a real scientific reason ... always, always, always ... but if the people involved are struggling to work out what it is, and they need to, or want to get real product out the door then they may decide to hang their hat on something that doesn't really make sense - so at least there is some explanation to feed the curious, :).

As a personal example, I've spent a lot of time fighting what appears to be static effects - I don't understand why there is the impact I can hear, it doesn't make sense in the conventional electronics thinking, the literature I can access doesn't help in worthwhile ways, but I know I don't do the "silly things" to bypass these factors then the SQ will suffer - every time, in a particular scenario. So, I bite my mental tongue and just do it ...

Interference effects work in seemingly bizarre ways at times, that I have had plenty of experience with. So, I either shut down the interfering mechanisms or shield the audio circuitry from their effect, as best I know how. My suspicion is that the Bybee is providing a mechanism to reduce some of that interference, in some manner - just like Dan's device ...

What works, works - next step, try to find out why ...

Status
Not open for further replies.