John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
This ******** of the first order Dan.
There are enough crap MP3 recordings nowadays that stand witness to this.
A few artists standout, but they are few and far between.
That first sentence is a little harsh...I am not talking of generalisation, but of those who are professional who do know and understand good sound.

Hmmm, MP3 encoding is a wholly different issue.

Good sound guys are still around, that said, the world is now full of mediocre/hopeless ones, no doubt due to the proliferation of cheap recording equipment, and even worse monitoring setups.
This combined with garbage program content and low/clueless expectations of young and upcoming audiences/consumers does not bode well for future pop 'music' quality.

Youngsters are hearing harsh recordings on harsh reproducers...the resultant generally drives us old guys out of the room.
Play youngsters good music on good gear and the result is jaw dropping admiration....mostly they never get to hear proper quality.

Also, live music concerts do not have to be bad.
One of the best sounding shows I have worked on was an Elton John/Billy Joel show.
My show call was front truss follow spot operator.
This gave me the opportunity to hear/compare the stage and PA sounds.
By lifting my cans from my left ear I had PA sound, lifting my right headphone gave me natural sound straight up from both pianos.
Of course, the natural sound was best, but the reproduced sound was magnificent, nicely free from any harshness, glare, emphasis or nasties....very nicely hifi !.
Good PA, and good operator combined can work very well indeed.

Dan.

Last edited:
Thanks Max Headroom, for your input. Now you see what I am up against on a daily basis. I, too, just bought some new test equipment, and I hope to use it wisely. Unfortunately, I suspect that no matter what I measure, it will be discounted by the 'critical mass' here.
Hi John, yes, I have observed this 'tall poppy' behaviour towards you for a very long time.....''there's none so deaf as those who will not hear'' comes to mind.
Pro audio forums are generally a breath of fresh air in my experience...cooperative, helpful and highly experience contributors bring a very different tone.

Out of interest, what new test gear did you get hold of, and what kind of testing do you envisage.

Dan.

Thanks Max Headroom, for your input. Now you see what I am up against on a daily basis. I, too, just bought some new test equipment, and I hope to use it wisely. Unfortunately, I suspect that no matter what I measure, it will be discounted by the 'critical mass' here.

When a new almost mystical device is put forward what are we to do:
Ask questions and request data and possible operating mechanisms or
Just accept the claim at face value.

If it is doing something so noticeable then there has to be a rational physics based explanation. If its a filter how does it differentiate between noise and signals of the same frequency?

The whole point of the 'critical mass' in any field of engineering is to question, how else to you learn what is going on?

A bad day

:(

Attachments

• badday.jpg
    badday.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 234
I have in the past week purchased the last of test gear required in order to accurately measure/characterise what is going on.
Good luck on getting some meaningful measurements, Dan, hopefully you can do it.

Just yesterday I visited the home of another forum member, whose system displayed the classic, for me, characteristics of a slow, subtle degrading of sound over time, a period of many minutes, when playing tracks from a normal CD player. Normal methods of testing would never, ever pick this happening - which is why phenomena like this are such a pain in the ....

Good luck on getting some meaningful measurements, Dan, hopefully you can do it.

Just yesterday I visited the home of another forum member, whose system displayed the classic, for me, characteristics of a slow, subtle degrading of sound over time, a period of many minutes, when playing tracks from a normal CD player. Normal methods of testing would never, ever pick this happening - which is why phenomena like this are such a pain in the ....

Sounds like thermal tracking distortion to me , Next time check the heatsink @ start and again when you notice your phenom or check bias...

One thing that seems to help when I'm questioning my ears is to breathe in deeply, purse my lips and breathe out slowly through the resistance. I was told this exercise reduces blood pressure. I've had the problem where after I get up and do stuff, getting my heart pumping I guess, I'd sit down and things sounded different. This seems to help with that.

OK, easy replacement , which model i did not see the usual color code dot, I have a few stashed away myself, in my Denon mode at the moment..

(afraid we have the same despise )

:D

I have a new DL103R that I want to play with but I did not want to loose the Grado (current equivalent is the Platinum 1). I was unpacking the table and found it this way, oh well.

Last edited:
Sounds like thermal tracking distortion to me , Next time check the heatsink @ start and again when you notice your phenom or check bias...
It could be all sorts of things, but it appears tied to digital interference mechanisms - systems that I've heard which run analogue and digital don't show the symptoms when playing LPs ... which leads to the classic comment - "Well, been listening CDs for a bit, this is boring - let's pull out the vinyl, and listen to music!"

Simply tested: when the sound is a bit ho-hum, hit the Pause button on the CD player and let it sit for about 30 secs, a minute - and then press Play ... does the sound appear to spring back to life, sound refreshed, a renewed sparkle to it? This is the classic symptom ...

One thing that seems to help when I'm questioning my ears is to breathe in deeply, purse my lips and breathe out slowly through the resistance. I was told this exercise reduces blood pressure. I've had the problem where after I get up and do stuff, getting my heart pumping I guess, I'd sit down and things sounded different. This seems to help with that.
The easy way I've found is to switch off listening to the music, get up and do something not relevant to audio, with the music still going, fairly loudly in the background - your brain is still listening out of the corner of the ear, and if something is amiss, or whatever, this fact will almost scream at you ...

I have a new DL103R that I want to play with but I did not want to loose the Grado (current equivalent is the Platinum 1). I was unpacking the table and found it this way, oh well.

You can purchase just the stylus,(8mz) put you back in the game. I would be surprised if the Dl103 will work on the ( if it's the same table) same arm used by your Grado. Comet is banging out the 103R's for 237.00 or you can do the 103 for 143.00 and then soundsmith upgrades..

:drink:

It could be all sorts of things, but it appears tied to digital interference mechanisms - systems that I've heard which run analogue and digital don't show the symptoms when playing LPs ... which leads to the classic comment - "Well, been listening CDs for a bit, this is boring - let's pull out the vinyl, and listen to music!"

Simply tested: when the sound is a bit ho-hum, hit the Pause button on the CD player and let it sit for about 30 secs, a minute - and then press Play ... does the sound appear to spring back to life, sound refreshed, a renewed sparkle to it? This is the classic symptom ...

I guess my digital is not that bad, never experienced such, the only time I have noticed distortion overtime is with thermal drift .

Last edited:
You can purchase just the stylus,(8mz) put you back in the game. I would be surprised if the Dl103 will work on the ( if it's the same table) same arm used by your Grado.

Those don't go into the wooden ones. Already tried, I have an old Grado signature and the stylus assembly slides right out not this one.

Thorsten gave me some mods to try for the arm/headshell, nothing to lose in trying. A non-magnetic platter remains a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.