John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jag could never touch a Mercedes for handling and ride, and as far as quality they weren't even in the same league. Had a BMW not long ago and again not even a contest with the Mercedes, at least the higher models that is for sure. BMW's look nice and they fall apart, that is my experience with a 2006 325.

Really? The country that produced the 924, 912, 944, tourig, and who knows how many shitty veedubs and Mercedes tanks? Italian all the way

Here this will stop the car talk...

Attachments

• lime-green-gremlin.jpg
    lime-green-gremlin.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 228
My 2004 Toyota Corolla hand-me-down-from-my-mom drives pretty nice ('peppy' because it's so light) and is in good internal shape (crunched bumper from a dishonest Christmas visitor to my neighbours)! :wchair:

Some of us live at different levels. :eek:

That's why I DIY audio; to try and catch that cheap diamond in the rough! ;)

PS I'm gonna try and shoe-horn two pro 15" into the back deck! :cool:

AudioLapDance,
Because I did DIY repair on my Mercedes and all my other cars I could actually afford to drive them. I just fixed a problem on another car that I did send to the mechanic because it is so hard to even put your hand under the hood and work on anything. The mechanic tried everything and couldn't get the car to run. I finally said okay and he said come get it I give up and had it towed back home. I had the car running in 5 minutes after getting it back, it took another week of probing electrical connectors and checking sensors to finally get it right but I did it, again diy! I now know more about the electronics on that car than I ever wanted to know. Without a real scanner tool and a dmm plus a real factory manual I could never have done the work and a real good understanding of the electronics on a car. All the mechanics want to do is replace parts, but tell them to actually diagnose and solve an intermittent electrical problem, and except for a few people I have ever meet, their eyes just glaze over and they don't have a clue.

Scott,
The 1969 AMC 390 AMX is still one of my all time favorite hot rods of that era.

https://www.google.com/search?q=196...c+amx+390&tbm=isch&imgil=enyBmNXslQi6AM%3A%3B

To be fair, it is impossible to know exactly how the cable was positioned on the bench back then to accurately recreate the original test setup. I did move it around to a number of different positions and all had essentially the same result. The capacitance goes down when on the bench.

I wonder if the tension of holding it suspended off the bench pulled the twisted conductors tighter, causing the raise in capacitance.

jn

I wonder if the tension of holding it suspended off the bench pulled the twisted conductors tighter, causing the raise in capacitance.

jn
This for me open the question about those little blocks keeping cables off the floor ? Given that free air has a higher cap. value be it small (1pf at 1khz) then measurement of cable on carpet ,hardwood and lifted should be able to be done. No I am not snake oiling the Hevenside effect here. This also raises the question that is the change large enough to effect the sound in a repeatable verifiable way. This then leads to a testable difference between insulators Your thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.