John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look guys, OF COURSE I don't have the extended hearing of my youth. My 'old' ears are more forgiving, to be sure, but I can still hear pretty well. Personally, I don't think that pure frequency response flatness is the main ingredient in hearing hi's. I think it is also RISETIME, and that does not seem to fall off as early as static tones.
I don't think that Dave can help me now, or he would have done it before the units left the factory. That's OK, I have another solution.

The idea is known and would result in lower power dissipation. Be careful with the capacitor, it is a C-R-L series circuit (lumped impedance) and due to L the impedance turns to inductive above several MHz, for 100nF foil capacitor. No need to say that capacitor leads should be kept as short as possible, you know this.

I have to use an AC rated line cap (X type cap) to be safe, I think that they are the stacked film type. I tried a 500v ceramic once years ago and it blew up while I was listening to the system. I think the stacked film is the best I can do in this app, unless you have any suggestions?

As we all age our high frequency hearing is decreasing. I wonder when someone will make a high frequency EQ "booster" of high enough quality that the audiophiles will approve of and use. We just can't ignore the natural affects of aging forever, for the sake of a "pure" electronic path. If we do we will be missing out on listening enjoyment.

I bet John could whip up an audiophile approved high frequency boost circuit in a few minutes. Any ideas come to mind John?

I will rely on my personal experience, thank you, on this.
Right now I just started playing a pristine direct disc vinyl recording 'The Missing Linc' from Sheffield records in the 70's. Wow! And better to come when I improve my system even more.
Of course I am using my own electronics thru-out.
The $30,000 speaker set-up doesn't hurt at all, but we have known for more than 40 years that you cannot equate static speaker distortion specs with distortion from electronics. This is what I do for a living---try to make sense of it all. This cannot be matched or better by any digital source that I can muster.

What are you using on the WA. John ...?

Kids have been known to use ring tones adults( teachers) can't hear. Seven-11 blasts the same tones to keep kids from congregating outside. Most men's hearing sucks after 15k. The whole stereo thing is a function of the brain. Ever thrown a ball to a dog, he hears it land but cannot there the direction it landed if not in sight. There is a really good thesis on vision and how the brain presses steel vision, done by a robotics guy the the 80's. This is why babies miss and knock over cups, etc. I would venture since the loss of high frequency is gradual your brain learns to compensate.

Kids have been known to use ring tones adults( teachers) can't hear. Seven-11 blasts the same tones to keep kids from congregating outside. Most men's hearing sucks after 15k. The whole stereo thing is a function of the brain. Ever thrown a ball to a dog, he hears it land but cannot there the direction it landed if not in sight. There is a really good thesis on vision and how the brain presses steel vision, done by a robotics guy the the 80's. This is why babies miss and knock over cups, etc. I would venture since the loss of high frequency is gradual your brain learns to compensate.

In the world outside the model of the world :

I am quasi - deaf in the context of a hearing test .
But yet discern aural events beyond the range of
my less 'challenged' friends

This combo gives me the dyamics I find missing from a lot of systems, more like when playng a gig. MA not be the best, but works for me.
This is part of the story, most of the expensive speakers I've heard sounded absolutely dreadful as soon as you gave them a bit of stick, not because there's a problem with the speakers but because the driving electronics started to fall to pieces, so to speak, once they were asked the question. This, for example, is where the Bryston I heard 'knew' what it was doing, increasing the volume merely increased the subjective intensity of the sound, it didn't degenerate into the typical 'loud hifi' sound.

The other part of the story is that the quality is there over the full dynamic range of the material - otherwise increasing the volume then reveals how mangled, or absent, the low level detail within the recording is, caused by deficiencies in the playback.

Neither here nor there, please take no offense (just a data point) but Thiel's at any price level almost always drive me out of the room.

I agree with you, the Strauss gold was bad asss. I blew them up, it was hard to do, the theils? Let's just say, I am friends with the repair crew. At low level, I think the rock. Again my only reference is playing music.

Last edited:
No. one test without ground plane near by -- and one test side by side traces.

Thx-RNMarsh

Are we talking some sort of RF here, because for high speed digital you would have a ground plane, or use LVDS, where the signals would be edge coupled on a PCB. As I said a ground plane on a PCB is usually mandatory for high speed digital, and analogue. The only time I have seen deviation from this is some RF stuff, where I have seen the ground removed from under a trace due to capacitive coupling, the ground was on either side edge coupling the signal, so again with ground proximity the current density would be greater at the signal edges, on these traces.
I am now more intrigued in what you are transmitting, and why no return plane, or return path in close proximity for high speed signals.

There have been numerous discussions and papers over the years of the roughness of PCB copper on signal integrity:

Printed Circuit Design & Fab Magazine Online

Printed Circuit Design & Fab Magazine Online

One is 'driven out off the room' because the speaker is 'ruthlessly revealing' the distortion being injected into the mix by the playback system - Wilson speakers do that sort of thing for me, I need solid shots of red wine to 'handle' them ... ;), :D ...

Yes one time (the worst actually) it was about $100,000 worth of Cello's best including I guess what would be their version of the BT.:rolleyes: In fact it must have been more $$$ there were two massive ML amps, maybe it was just ML's vanity jazz recordings. ;) This highend business is so easy to make fun of.

EDIT - This was a store BTW, Bob Adams asked me along because ADI wanted a serious listening room installed and asked the local store to demo us "the best".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.