John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• terminals.JPG
    terminals.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 437
Pavel could you expound on this a bit more ..... ?

I can, pavel I hope you don't mind..

When the load "unloads", or goes above the cable's characteristic impedance, the cable will look like a capacitor to the amp. This resistor guarantees that no matter what the load does, the termination at that end will never be above the cable's impedance, so the amp will always see either inductance, or resistance.

For rf, it guarantees that there will not be cable resonances as a consequence of reflections.

The caveat is, if the cable is a low z type, that resistor would be too low a value, and it would consume power. When the cable is very low z, you'll have to put a cap in there as well to protect the resistor against lf power.

jn

Is there a simple way to determine the value of the resistor if you knew the impedance of the cable and the length of wire or is this a complex mathematical equation or do you have to have specific analysis equipment to determine the correct value? Would you also need to know the capacitance of the cable in question?

Yes, I agree, that's precisely my point - in audio, people can't specify the right requirements - hence, engineers don't have a clear, well-defined target ...

+1.

When I was working in the industry an example was a passive crossover component. Engineering had chosen as they normally do, by listening, specified as best they could on paper. Purchasing fond a cheaper source, met the specs but didn't sound as good.

I can, pavel I hope you don't mind..

When the load "unloads", or goes above the cable's characteristic impedance, the cable will look like a capacitor to the amp. This resistor guarantees that no matter what the load does, the termination at that end will never be above the cable's impedance, so the amp will always see either inductance, or resistance.

For rf, it guarantees that there will not be cable resonances as a consequence of reflections.

The caveat is, if the cable is a low z type, that resistor would be too low a value, and it would consume power. When the cable is very low z, you'll have to put a cap in there as well to protect the resistor against lf power.

jn

Hmm, we usually put such compensation in the xover , is this the same or different effect and is this why MIT cables have that little box ...:)

PS: that resistor is color coded , why is everyone guessing its value......?

Status
Not open for further replies.